• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which "Rice" does Chinese take out use?

mikehende

Oh, forgot to ask, when making the Fried rice using Jasmine, what's the best way to do this? How I do it when using the regular Long grain Brown rice, I would boil the rice around 3/4 cooked or while a little stiff and not soft THEN fry it, any idea how the Take out places cook this please? Thanks.

Oh, I see, so I should NOT cook it 3/4 way but cook it just as if I was going to eat it? Reason I ask is that other have told me that the rice should not be soft, it should be a little stiff, is this correct?

typically you want it stiff. there's a method where you can use freshly cooked rice, still hot and have all the grains of rice seperate and un broken. basically all you do is you take your rice and stir in the beaten egg. then into the hot wok and stir fry as usual. i've done it this way many times and it always works

bork bork bork

The great majority of Chinese Restaurants in North America always use "Long Grained Rice", grown in Texas, Arkansas, Carolinas and California.

I understand that the "Jasmine" varieties are popular in the Bay Area and Vancouver, BC.

In Honolulu the Short Grain Hinode Type with some Talcum added is the local preference at Chop Suey places, the more authentic Chinese Restaurants sometimes offer both Long Grain traditional and Short Grain local Rice's.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

In eastern Canada (boonies) catering to clientele comprised 100% white folks long ago, the demand was for "fluffy, separate grained rice, fried or otherwise". So, we hit upon the idea of using Uncle Ben's converted crap. This "rice" is an abomination to us Chinese, but it was preferred by the clientele :sad: . You can literally use it in fried rice right after the rice cooker stopped...no overnight cooling, no work separating the grains. Pretty amazing stuff, the Jeep of rices, industructible and above all "good looking" :laugh::laugh:

In eastern Canada (boonies) catering to clientele comprised 100% white folks long ago, the demand was for "fluffy, separate grained rice, fried or otherwise". So, we hit upon the idea of using Uncle Ben's converted crap. This "rice" is an abomination to us Chinese, but it was preferred by the clientele :sad: . You can literally use it in fried rice right after the rice cooker stopped...no overnight cooling, no work separating the grains. Pretty amazing stuff, the Jeep of rices, industructible and above all "good looking" :laugh:  :laugh:

:blink: ai ya!