• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Varnier Fanniere BdB

jrufusj

CHRISTMAS MORNING - At Home in Tokyo (12/25/2005)

As we were leaving to ski the next day, this would be our last chance to see Jonathan. Samantha, and kids before their move to HK. We had them over for homemade buttermilk-white cheddar-thyme biscuits with Parma ham and mayonnaise flavored with yuzu rind and dried red chile pepper. In addition to the Champagne, we served bloody marys and bullshots.

• N.V. Varnier-Fanniere Champagne Brut Zero Blanc de Blancs - France, Champagne, Avize, Champagne
    Bright yellow color to meet the morning, with a strong mousse of very fine bead. A very pretty Champagne in the glass. Clean fruit and mineral driven nose shows a soft and generous slate sort of character with white fruits and a tad of lower behind the slate. On the palate, the mousse is aggressive but the wine is not. Extremely giving for a Brut Zero wine, I never would have guessed that it had no dosage blind. Palate is more of the white fruit with very crisp and fresh apple and pear and just a touch of citrus on the finish. Overall impression is of a nice balance between crispness and generosity with a hallmark of that very strong mineral nose. Only complaint would be lack of complexity but this drank very, very well for a basic-level NV. I’m generally not a big fan of no-dosage Champagnes and imagine a touch of sugar may have brought out a little more interest, richness, and complwxity in the mid-palate and finish.

A melancholy event for a Christmas morning, but I'm looking forward to seeing them when I am in HK next week.

Posted from CellarTracker

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.