• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYE Fondue

Dinah Sarah

Fendant or Neuchâtel from Switzerland is tradtional. Other sharp dry whites from Alsace (e.g. riesling from Trimbach, Hugel, Beyer), Germany (riesling labelled troken or kabinett) or the Loire (chenin blanc from Anjou, romorantin from Cour-Cheverny) will do in a pinch. A New Zealand sauvignon blanc that was all fruit and acid once proved a better match than I expected it would be. Acidic chardonnays will also hold their own.

Some people prefer a red with their cheese fondue. If you're one of them, avoid low-acid, heavily oaked, highly extracted wines. A Côtes-du-Rhône would be a safe bet.

For bubblies, dry and acidic are again the key. Fondue isn't a dish for fine wines, so if you choose a Champagne, go for something lowish end, Pol Roger's nonvintage for example.

Cremant d'Alsace. I like Charles Baur, but that may be hard to find. I'd also consider a demi-sec Champagne, perhaps from A. Margaine or Veuve Clicquot. Another good direction to go would be a rose Champagne, perhaps from Charles Ellner, Nicolas Feuillatte, or (if you want something really intense) Egly-Ouriet.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Now I wonder where you got this idea for NYE? :raz:

I'm not as up on my champagnes as I'd like to be but I'm very fond of Erhenfelser, Auxerois or even a dry Guerwertztraminer (sp) with my fondue. There are people with far greater wine knowledge out here than myself but I thought I'd add my two bits.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur