• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Restaurant Week 2006

Malawry

OpenTable has a list of restaurants that use their service up and running:

Click here

This year's dates are January 9-15.

More complete list of participating restaurants usually shows up sooner or later:

Right here

Here's my schedule; now I just have to find enough people willing to go with me!

Mon lunch: Clyde's (business); dinner: Corduroy

Tues lunch: Zengo; dinner: Notti Bianchi

Wed lunch: Ten Penh (a friend's favorite); dinner: Ceiba (a Tunks twofer!)

Thu (my Bday!!) meeting during lunch :angry: ; surprise for dinner :smile:

Friday dinner: 21P

Saturday dinner: Firefly

Sunday dinner: Willow

Herbacidal, if they don't have a similar program in Philly, this could be a fun trip and a good way to sample some of the normally more pricey places in DC.

Here's my schedule; now I just have to find enough people willing to go with me! 

Mon lunch: Clyde's (business); dinner: Corduroy

Tues lunch: Zengo; dinner: Notti Bianchi

Wed lunch: Ten Penh (a friend's favorite); dinner: Ceiba (a Tunks twofer!)

Thu (my Bday!!) meeting during lunch  :angry: ; surprise for dinner  :smile:

Friday dinner: 21P

Saturday dinner: Firefly

Sunday dinner: Willow

Herbacidal, if they don't have a similar program in Philly, this could be a fun trip and a good way to sample some of the normally more pricey places in DC.

Is Firefly participating? I thought they had stopped a year or two ago.

I do not see Firefly on the list from OpenTable, nor are they on the official RW website. (Wabeck has told me before that he was planning to stop offering the RW deal, so this doesn't surprise me.) Also, in RWs past Firefly only offered the RW deal at lunchtime. You can eat 3 courses at Firefly for under $25 anytime you like without waiting for RW--so, Redglass, you may want to stop by during the daytime even if you're on a tight budget sometime.

Just FYI, Oyamel is not on the RAMW site but is participating.

"Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam; spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam or Lobster Thermidor a Crevette with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam. "

Got a copy of Zengo's RW menu today:

Choice of Appetizer:

Rock Shrimp Ceviche

~ tomatillo / yuzu / red onion / mango

Calamari

~ wok sautéed / Chinese eggplant / chipotle~miso

Arepas de Pollo

~ chipotle-togarashi pulled chicken / avocado / crema fresca

Choice of Entrée

Pan Roasted Red Snapper

~ chile pasilla steamed rice / shiso / curry-scallion broth

Chipotle~Soy Glazed Short Ribs

~ purple potatoes / chile mulatto-chinese mustard jus

Rice Stick Noodles

~ chicken / sweet & spicy tamarind / straw mushrooms / peanuts

Choice of Dessert

Churros con Chocolate

~ chai tea chocolate sauce / meringue

Coconut Tapioca with Tropical Fruit

~ blood orange sorbet / shortbread cookie / dried pineapple-sesame tuile

Man, a lunch of arepas, short ribs and churros sounds like just what the doctor ordered in this blustery December. It appears the same dishes are on offer at both lunch and dinner.

I don't know if everyone from our area is out of town, has their nose to the grindstone, or passed out from early New Year's celebrating, but I humbly ask for/really need your guidance. I have chosen several restaurants from which I'll probably pick 3 or 4 that I'd like to visit during DC's Restaurant Week. They are:

Courduroy

IndeBlue

Kinkead's

Les Halles

Taberna del Alabardero

Galileo

TenPenh

Kaz Sushi Bistro

Hank's Oyster Bar

The only MUST GO restaurant on the list so far is Courduroy. My tastes are very eclectic and I'd like to have very different dining experiences at each of the 3 or 4 I choose. In other words American, American, American would be a definite no no.

I know that many of you have dined at these establishments so please let me know which of the above in your opinion should be:

- A Keeper

- Jettison

- A Roll of the Dice

And most especially, say why you feel the way you do, pro or con.

Feel free to be brutal as to my choices. (Slipping on my asbestos pj's as we speak.) :rolleyes:

BTW, WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYBODY!!!??

Edited for punctuation (how anal is that?) :hmmm:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I don't know if everyone from our area is out of town, has their nose to the grindstone, or passed out from early New Year's celebrating, but I humbly ask for/really need your guidance.  I have chosen several restaurants  from which I'll probably pick 3 or 4 that I'd like to visit during DC's Restaurant Week.  They are:

Courduroy

IndeBlue

Kinkead's

Les Halles

Taberna del Alabardero

Galileo

TenPenh

Kaz Sushi Bistro

Hank's Oyster Bar

The only MUST GO restaurant on the list so far is Courduroy.  My tastes are very eclectic and I'd like to have very different dining experiences at each of the 3 or 4 I choose.  In other words American, American, American would be a definite no no.

I know that many of you have dined at these establishments so please let me know which of the above in your opinion should be:

- A Keeper

- Jettison

- A Roll of the Dice

And most especially, say why you feel the way you do, pro or con.

Feel free to be brutal as to my choices.  (Slipping on my asbestos pj's as we speak.) :rolleyes:

BTW, WHERE THE HELL IS EVERYBODY!!!

Let's see. I didn't see Les Halles on the list, it's not that expensive anyway and I'd rather just hit it randomly one night when I was in a steak/frites/red wine mood, preferably after 9PM when the tourists are gone and the service gets a little better.

If I was doing Indian I would do Rasika, which I think is going to be both hipper and better thgan IndeBleu (though I confess I haven't been to IndeBleu). Think of it as your roll of the dice.

I wouldn't do Hanks on the general strategy that it's a busy, wait-in-line kind of place in general and I suspect dining there would be even more harried RW.

Recent Galileo gossip and experience has been dicy. Might be a good RW pick on the theory that it's too inconsistent to risk the big money on. On the other hand, it might be worth blowing off in favor of eating at the Osteria on a non-RW week night and getting good Italian dirt cheap.

Kaz looks like a great call.

Others not on your list that I would consider:

La Chaumiere, especially if you can get the cassoulet on Thursday, and also because it's a wonderful place to find yourself on a cold afternoon (I'm going tonight, I''ll report back;

Circle Bistro: similar in style to BdC and les Halles but Brendan Cox definitely is the better chef;

Zengo: new and hip, why not?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Let's see. I didn't see Les Halles on the list, it's not that expensive anyway and I'd rather just hit it randomly one night when I was in a steak/frites/red wine mood, preferably after 9PM when the tourists are gone and the service gets a little better.

If I was doing Indian I would do Rasika, which I think is going to be both hipper and better thgan IndeBleu (though I confess I haven't been to IndeBleu).  Think of it as your roll of the dice.

I wouldn't do Hanks on the general strategy that it's a busy, wait-in-line kind of place in general and I suspect dining there would be even more harried RW.

Recent Galileo gossip and experience has been dicy.  Might be a good RW pick on the theory that it's too inconsistent to risk the big money on. On the other hand, it might be worth blowing off in favor of eating at the Osteria on a non-RW week night and getting good Italian dirt cheap.

Kaz looks like a great call.

Others not on your list that I would consider:

La Chaumiere, especially if you can get the cassoulet on Thursday, and also because it's a wonderful place to find yourself on a cold afternoon (I'm going tonight, I''ll report back;

Circle Bistro: similar in style to BdC and les Halles but Brendan Cox definitely is the better chef;

Zengo: new and hip, why not?

Thanks so much for your insights and advice Busboy/Charles. That's exactly the type of guidance I was looking for.

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed that the list of restaurants is not very diverse ethnically, but I chalk that up to the fact that a lot of "ethnic" restaurants are very affordable anyway and really can't justify participating in restaurant week. Kaz will definitely stay on the list.

I've heard some grumblings about Galileo as well, so off the list it goes. La Chaumiere (mmmmm, cassoulet) sounds great. Rasika sounds like a winner as well. And any advice that keeps me from waiting in a long line (Hank's) is deeply appreciated. I vaguely remember someone mentioning Zengo; I'll check out their website.

Thanks again. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Divalasvegas,

I would strongly recommend TenPenh and strongly recommend against Taberna del Alabardero.

Essentially, TenPenh offers RW diners the run of their menu with an added surcharge on a couple of items. My husband had the lamb trio during Summer Restaurant Week and raved about it. He shared a taste and I second his opinion. I had the soft shelled crabs and found the batter too thick for my taste. Soft shells won't be an issue in January.

I was really distressed by our experience at Taberna since that is one of our favorite restaurants. We were thrilled to see it make an appearance on RW, but I won't go there again for RW. I suspect the decision to participate was made reluctantly or without bringing everyone on board. When we were seated at the table, we were given the regular menus only. We had to ask for the RW menu, and the server looked noticably condescending when we made our request. Fortunately, I don't recall the service being markedly different from full-price meals there. Once we began eating, everyone was happy since the food was prepared with Taberna's typical skill. However, the choices were really pedestrian. With the exception of flan for dessert, I don't recall any of Taberna's RW choices coming from the regular menu. When we ordered our meal, we all felt like we were settling rather than selecting. Perhaps, if you've never been to Taberna, this is a perfectly reasonable time to try the restaurant, but I believe there are better options.

Incidentally, I hope you're willing to be flexible in your dining times. Our schedules don't allow much flexibility, so we tend to make our reservations early. About a week after the RW participants were announced, we were already having trouble snagging reservations at 7:30 p.m. at some of the most desirable restaurants like Tosca.

Indy 67

Went to La Chaumiere last night with HGShorter and had one of those "why am I not here every week?" moments. Great cassoulet, great quennelles de brochette -- pike mousse in a lobster bisque-ish sauce. May be the best old school French in town. Not that there aren't a dozen French joints worth going to, at every price level. But Quennelles? Tripe a la Caen? Cous Cous special Wednesday and Cassoullet on Thursday? What great stuff, and in a wonderful, warm little spot full of the Old Georgetown types in tweed and understated jewelry that almost make you feel like a cave-dweller yourself.

I did notice that the restaurant is only participating during lunch, in which case, see the "Ladies Who Lunch" thread.

I'm on the pavement

Divalasvegas,

I would strongly recommend TenPenh and strongly recommend against Taberna del Alabardero.

Essentially, TenPenh offers RW diners the run of their menu with an added surcharge on a couple of items. My husband had the lamb trio during Summer Restaurant Week and raved about it. He shared a taste and I second his opinion. I had the soft shelled crabs and found the batter too thick for my taste. Soft shells won't be an issue in January.

I was really distressed by our experience at Taberna since that is one of our favorite restaurants. We were thrilled to see it make an appearance on RW, but I won't go there again for RW. I suspect the decision to participate was made reluctantly or without bringing everyone on board. When we were seated at the table, we were given the regular menus only. We had to ask for the RW menu, and the server looked noticably condescending when we made our request. Fortunately, I don't recall the service being markedly different from full-price meals there. Once we began eating, everyone was happy since the food was prepared with Taberna's typical skill. However, the choices were really pedestrian. With the exception of flan for dessert, I don't recall any of Taberna's RW choices coming from the regular menu. When we ordered our meal, we all felt like we were settling rather than selecting. Perhaps, if you've never been to Taberna, this is a perfectly reasonable time to try the restaurant, but I believe there are better options.

Incidentally, I hope you're willing to be flexible in your dining times. Our schedules don't allow much flexibility, so we tend to make our reservations early. About a week after the RW participants were announced, we were already having trouble snagging reservations at 7:30 p.m. at some of the most desirable restaurants like Tosca.

Indy 67

Oh thank you so much for you feedback Indy 67. As any one who has read my comments on this forum well knows, I'm all about the food. If the food isn't good I really can't be swayed by ambience, how chic the other diners are or any other stuff like that. However, even for good food, I will absolutely not tolerate being treated poorly by restaurant staff, so I really appreciate your heads up.

I've always tried to be a considerate diner. I never treat waitstaff with disrespect or as if they're my servants. But in return I expect to be treated with respect as well. That is so odd that this person would act so condescending. I mean was he/she an idiot? Didn't they understand that it was indeed restaurant week and that even if it's a money loser upfront for many restaurants the idea is to at least expose people to that restaurant's cuisine and perhaps entice them back for more? BTW, did you speak with management? I admit sometimes I do go to management when I think that I'm dealing with a waitperson with a poor/hostile attitude; but sometimes I don't. Also while $20 for lunch, $30 for dinner isn't a lot of money in the great scheme of things, it's still my money and I'd much rather spend it having an enjoyable experience as opposed to one that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

As for flexibility, I assume that certain times are busier than others so I've planned on dining earlier rather than later for dinner. Now, if I can just get my co-workers--for lunch that is--to not always want to go to DC Coast (no slur against that restaurant, but they seem to want to go EVERY YEAR!) I think that week will be awesome for me.

Thanks again. :smile:

Went to La Chaumiere last night with HGShorter and had one of those "why am I not here every week?" moments.  Great cassoulet, great quennelles de brochette -- pike mousse in a lobster bisque-ish sauce.  May be the best old school French in town.  Not that there aren't a dozen French joints worth going to, at every price level.  But Quennelles?  Tripe a la Caen?  Cous Cous special Wednesday and Cassoullet on Thursday? What great stuff, and in a wonderful, warm little spot full of the Old Georgetown types in tweed and understated jewelry that almost make you feel like a cave-dweller yourself. 

I did notice that the restaurant is only participating during lunch, in which case, see the "Ladies Who Lunch" thread.

You know Busboy it's very hard to respond to you when I have to keep wiping the drool off my keyboard. :biggrin: Cassoulet is a definite for me but the quennelles sounds luscious as well. I like old school French BTW. One of my first old school French meals was at La Colline on Capitol Hill, but I don't think they're there anymore. This was in the 80's and the food, ambiance, and staff were always wonderful, and one could always find a great meal within one's budget. This is a definite for my list now. Lunchtime is perfect for me. Actually, I think I'm almost there as to where I'm going that week. I've settled on, so far, two lunches and two dinners: La Chaumiere and Kaz for lunch; Courduroy for dinner. That leaves one more decision for dinner.

Oh just one more thing: though it's during the work day and I'm a total wine novice, any suggestions for what to drink with the cassoulet?

You always come through Charles and I am indeed grateful. :smile:

... One of my first old school French meals was at La Colline on Capitol Hill, but I don't think they're there anymore. This was in the 80's and the food, ambiance, and staff were always wonderful, and one could always find a great meal within one's budget.

I'm happy to report that La Colline still exists if you've got a yen for old school French. Same location.

Indy 67

... One of my first old school French meals was at La Colline on Capitol Hill, but I don't think they're there anymore. This was in the 80's and the food, ambiance, and staff were always wonderful, and one could always find a great meal within one's budget.

I'm happy to report that La Colline still exists if you've got a yen for old school French. Same location.

Indy 67

Haven't heard much about La Colline in years, since I used to work on the Hill. Have you been lately? How are they doing?

I'm on the pavement

"... That is so odd that this person would act so condescending. I mean was he/she an idiot? Didn't they understand that it was indeed restaurant week and that even if it's a money loser upfront for many restaurants the idea is to at least expose people to that restaurant's cuisine and perhaps entice them back for more?"

I think the server was short-sighted. I think he saw his tip being whittled away by our decision to eat off the RW menu. While I can intellectually understand his concern, he was a very poor ambassador for his boss who had decided to participate in RW.

"... BTW, did you speak with management? I admit sometimes I do go to management when I think that I'm dealing with a waitperson with a poor/hostile attitude; but sometimes I don't."

No. There was nothing concrete enough to report to management. The server didn't actually say anything; he simply got a look of disdain on his face. Everyone in our party noticed the server's expression and commented on it. However, he did bring the RW menus to us promptly when asked and I don't believe there were any other issues. (The server may have had an attitude readjustment as the result of our having ordered drinks before dinner and a respectable wine with dinner.)

Indy 67

"... That is so odd that this person would act so condescending.  I mean was he/she an idiot?  Didn't they understand that it was indeed restaurant week and that even if it's a money loser upfront for many restaurants the idea is to at least expose people to that restaurant's cuisine and perhaps entice them back for more?"

I think the server was short-sighted. I think he saw his tip being whittled away by our decision to eat off the RW menu. While I can intellectually understand his concern, he was a very poor ambassador for his boss who had decided to participate in RW.

"...  BTW, did you speak with management?  I admit sometimes I do go to management when I think that I'm dealing with a waitperson with a poor/hostile attitude; but sometimes I don't."

No. There was nothing concrete enough to report to management. The server didn't actually say anything; he simply got a look of disdain on his face. Everyone in our party noticed the server's expression and commented on it. However, he did bring the RW menus to us promptly when asked and I don't believe there were any other issues. (The server may have had an attitude readjustment as the result of our having ordered drinks before dinner and a respectable wine with dinner.)

Indy 67

Yeah Indy 67 liquor will do it everytime! :biggrin: Happy to hear that La Colline still exists, but I think I remember hearing some comments awhile ago that they had slipped significantly, so I think I got it into my head that they had closed. Still, I'm sure I can find something on the menu to satisfy.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

"Haven't heard much about La Colline in years, since I used to work on the Hill. Have you been lately? How are they doing?"

Sorry. My intelligence is useless since it's five years old. My husband's company held its holiday party there five years ago. The food was delicious. The staff was cooperative and responsive to any requests. (We always have a tasting dinner in advance of the party and use the tasting to tweak the party menu and choose the wine.) If the company hadn't outgrown the party room, we might be there still. But we did grow so I have nothing new to add. If we're on Capitol Hill, we're more likely to eat new-style at Bistro Bis. We tend to satisfy our old-style cravings staying in our backyard eating at Cote d'Or or L'Auberge Chez Francois.

Indy 67

I do not see Firefly on the list from OpenTable, nor are they on the official RW website. (Wabeck has told me before that he was planning to stop offering the RW deal, so this doesn't surprise me.) Also, in RWs past Firefly only offered the RW deal at lunchtime. You can eat 3 courses at Firefly for under $25 anytime you like without waiting for RW--so, Redglass, you may want to stop by during the daytime even if you're on a tight budget sometime.

Thanks for the heads up re: Firefly. I've since made some changes since then: We're doing Corduroy, Zengo, Ten Phen, Rasika, and Willow. I've never been to Corduroy and am really looking forward to it.

Does anyone plan to give up either their Friday or Saturday reservation? Please let me know before you do so. Or I'd be willing to trade my IndeBleu (Friday @ 7:30 for 2 (but could try to switch to 4 if needed)) for a Vidalia, Galileo, DC Coast/Tenpenh, etc.

Thanks!

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Went to La Chaumiere last night with HGShorter and had one of those "why am I not here every week?" moments.  Great cassoulet, great quennelles de brochette -- pike mousse in a lobster bisque-ish sauce.  May be the best old school French in town.  Not that there aren't a dozen French joints worth going to, at every price level.  But Quennelles?  Tripe a la Caen?  Cous Cous special Wednesday and Cassoullet on Thursday? What great stuff, and in a wonderful, warm little spot full of the Old Georgetown types in tweed and understated jewelry that almost make you feel like a cave-dweller yourself.

That HJShorter to you, bub.

I was totally charmed by La Chaumiere, as was Mr Shorter, and would like to go back soon. It is indeed old-school French, and a charming little room (with a fireplace) that apparently hasn't changed in 30 years. The onion soup was perfect and my steak au poivre was delicious. The wine list was surprisingly small but we managed to find three bottles that suited us. My only quibble was that the tables are close enough together to drop your silverware in your neighbor's lap.

It's on the new "100 Very Best" list, isn't it?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Last night, we kicked off RW with dinner at Acadiana. Nice experience. Everyone's food for each course was at least good and some dishes hit the outstanding level. This was our first time at Acadiana, but far from our first time at the sibling restaurants either at full price or during RW.

The menu followed the usual Ceiba/DC Coast/TenPenh RW formula: All but the most expensive entree on the menu were available for the RW price with restricted choices on the appetizer and dessert courses. Appetizers options were three soups (Chicken Gumbo, Oysters Rockefeller Soup or Turtle Soup) or mixed green salad or shrimp Remoulade. Desserts choices were rootbeer float, chocolate bread pudding, and hazelnut creme brulee.

The jaw-droppingly stellar entree was the Pan-Roasted Crispy Duck. Two people in our group ordered this. These two are duck fans and will order it almost any time it appears on the menu so they have lots of examples to compare Acadiana's rendition against. This preparation soared to the top of their hierarchy. This dish managed appealing crispy skin with succulent, moist meat. Just to calibrate this fantastic dish, I'm not a particular duck fan and I will probably order this dish the next time we eat at Acadiana. Another member of our group ordered the crab cake. He was turned off by -- his words -- "the funky accompaniments" including pickled okra and the corn relish but he said his crab was simply the best he's ever eaten. The lumps were gigantic and the flavor was the sweet flavor of astoundingly fresh crab. My onion and andouille crusted grouper was pleasant but nothing more; the crust was significantly blander than I would have imagined given the andouille. The sweet potato hash was more of a standout than the fish itself.

The appetizer course illustrated the restaurant's use of spicy heat. The seasoning is assertive but not incendiary. The Oysters Rockefeller Soup tasted of Pernod, but otherwise wasn't spicy hot. The gumbo and the Oysters Remoulade had more oomph. In fact, I might have objected to the level of seasoning by the end of the portion had I ordered the gumbo; I definitely noticed the seasoning in the lone spoonful I tried. Diners who like their food even hotter, will want to use the bottle of Tabasco sauce placed on the table.

In the dessert course, the creme brulee was the winner -- dense and intensely nut flavored with the added appeal of praline pecans garnish.

Add good food to gracious and skilled service and appealing decor. We'll dine again at Acadiana. RW accomplished what it was intended to do.

Indy 67

INDIQUE'S MENU FOR RESTAURANT WEEK

NON -VEG

Choose one

FIRST COURSE

Shrimp Varuval

Mussels a la Indique

Chicken Dosa

Chicken Shashlik

Crab Tikki

Chicken Vepudu

Second Course

Choose one

Tandoori King Shrimp

Shrimp and Scallop Masala

Chicken Tikka Makhani

Saffron Malai Chicken

Chicken Vella Khorma(new)

Syrian Lamb Fry (new)

(Served with cucumber raita, dal, basmati rice and assorted breads)

VEGETARIAN

FIRST COURSE

Choose one

Chaat Papri

Bhelpuri

Mini Dosa

Aloo Tikki

Paneer Shashlik

Vegetable Samosa Chaat

SECOND COURSE

Choose one

Simla Mirch Masala

Kadai Paneer

Saag Makai

Paneer Makhani

Malai Kofta

Vegetable Biriyani

(served with Cucumber Raita, Basmati pilaf, Dal and assorted Breads)

THIRD COURSE

Choose one

Gulab Jamun with vanilla Ice cream

Kulfi with orange sauce

Pista Badam Kheer

Mango Ice cream

For more details and description of the dishes please visit our site www.indique.com.