• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gallup, NM: Good restaurant recommendations?

I wish I could offer something. I'm embarrassed to say I've never had anything better than Cracker Barrel in Gallup; doesn't mean it isn't there... hope somebody else has something to add.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Don't know how long the friend is going to be there, but I do have a few suggestions.

I just spent a pretty amazing week there, and loved it. But before we get started, I'd recommend you tell your friend to drop the word, "dine." Ain't much "dining" in Gallup.

But if your friend is interested in good eats, I do have some thoughts.

Great place to eat and stay is the historic El Rancho Hotel. The dining room has good food, with a southwestern emphasis.

But THE place to go is Earl's. I ate at least six meals there, and enjoyed every one of them.

When you're in New Mexico, the first thing you need to do is to be able to answer this question: "Red or green?"

Every New Mexican knows the answer to that question, and for me, it's "Green." That's "green" as in "green chile sauce."

And at the El Rancho, and Earl's the thing to get is green chile.

There's also an interesting "international" restaurant, featuring Greek, French & Italian. Also, of course, some Mexican, and their specialty, BBQ baby back ribs. It's called the New Olympic. And it's on Route 66. But of course, in Gallup, everything is, including the El Rancho and Earl's.

If your friend is going to be there for a week, it's the center of the American Indian universe. I drove north to Window Rock one day, which is the capital of the Navajo Nation. They've got a small museum there, which was absolutely fascinating.

And then the next day, drove south to Zuni Pueblo, which was utterly remarkable. Tell your friend to go to the tribal headquarters at the Zuni Pueblo, and pay the $10 for the special tour inside the church. That is something I will never, ever forget.

Also, while in Zuni, tell someone you're interested in the Zuni bakery. You wander around back through this neighborhood to discover a family still baking bread in the large, clay ovens called 'hornos.' It's irresistable to photograph, but remember that you have to buy a permit to take pictures while in the pueblo.

And the third day, a marathon trek up to Chaco Canyon. Another life-changing experience.

I love that part of the country. Sure, there ain't much right in Gallup, but if you're willing to get into your car and explore, a door opens to another world.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Good information, Jaymes. Based on your experience I'll try Earl's again. I was there maybe 5 years ago and didn't think enough of it to go back.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Fyfas, you didn't think much of Earl's? Remember, everything is relative. Gallup ain't exactly downtown Paree. Stick around for a while. You, too, will learn to love Earl's.

There is a Navajo restaurant directly across the street. It advertises fry bread and other Indian specialties. Although it did look kind of interesting, I didn't try it. There were few cars there, and Earl's was always jam-packed with Navajo and other local tribal folk, so it didn't seem that promising.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.