• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food from the former Soviet Union

rgruby

I don't know a whole lot about the food of Russia or the other former Soviet nations.

Are there many restaurants serving Russian food? The only one I can think of is on Mt. Pleasant, and I've never been. Are there others?

I also recall reading about several Azerbaijan (I think) restos on or around Steeles. Are there restaurants specializing in the food of other Soviet republics?

And, what are your favourite dishes at these places?

Thanks,

Geoff Ruby

There are not that many Russian Restaurants, but there are a few. Barmalay Samovar on Mount Pleasant is a good choice. There are quite a few in the Bathurst and Steeles area. Russian and other former Soviet Republic foods are quite diverse., You have everything from varenkis (pierogis), Pelmeni (dumplings), borscht, cabbage rolls, smoked fish, herring (often pickled), coulibiac, brochettes, blinis, kasha

Russian restaurants tend to have large portions in Toronto for some reason.

I am not Russian and certainly not an authority on their cuisine, but I have enjoyed what I have tried.

Mark

I can't provide a recommendation for this, other than to say that I've heard there are some good Armenian dishes out there. The food could be like that of neighbouring Azerbaijan, I suppose. (Just to the north, Georgia, of course, is well-regarded for its peaches and pecans.:wink:)

Whoa - this is a fairly geographical topic for me. So many 'stans'. I'd be really impressed if anyone knew of a Kyrgyzstani place you could take a date to.

Edited by KevV (log)

I can't provide a recommendation for this, other than to say that I've heard there are some good Armenian dishes out there.  The food could be like that of neighbouring Azerbaijan, I suppose.  (Just to the north, Georgia, of course, is well-regarded for its peaches and pecans.:wink:)

Whoa - this is a fairly geographical topic for me.  So many 'stans'.  I'd be really impressed if anyone knew of a Kyrgyzstani place you could take a date to.

The places I was referring to might have been Armenian rather than Azerbaijani - I believe the article was in the STar in the past year or so.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

The places I was referring to might have been Armenian rather than Azerbaijani - I believe the article was in the STar in the past year or so.

Not an area of the world we hear much of over here, and so easily confused. However, as said, they're neighbours and so the cuisine could be similar.

Kev

I read somewhere (probably a Toronto Life guide) that there are several Baltic stores and bakeries on the Bloor St. West strip. What piqued my interest was the availability of imported frozen rye bread dough, the real thing, unlike the white flour blends we usually get. Haven't got there yet. Anyone had these fuller ryes?

edited to say that the dough actually comes from Lithuania, Estonia, or Latvia.

Edited by jayt90 (log)