• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silver Oak Bistro

tommy

Mike, please understand, I was not disparaging the restaurant in any way because you are offering things "on the house". 

What I did think was appropriate since the discussion came up with tommy's declination, was that DISCLOSURE of any free offerings should be made by Egullet posters giving a favorable review.  Just as a paid restaurant reviewer would disclose or decline, our informal board here should also demand knowledge of such a gratuity. 

It also seems that all do agree that to announce or imply your intention in advance at the restaurant to post on Egullet and then to expect VIP treatment is just not only deceptive, but classless and tasteless.

Dear Menton1, your comments are valid and I feel this discussion is very valuable and healthy for the discussion board. If we do act above board - all will benefit in the long term. Thanks for bringing it out - Mike Feygin /CISSP - Silver Oak American Bistro

I dont know why I never looked at this thread.. The food looks great and right up my alley.. I havent been there once and already know what I am going to get my second time.. Just looked at the location on map quest 21 miles door to door..

Daniel

take the train..its across the street from the Ridgewood station...

then you can partake of all the adult beverage you care for

I miss living near there for the opportunity to train into the city to have adult beverages :rolleyes:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We went to Silver Oak Bistro last night and it more than made up for a couple of, IMHO, clunkers that were highly recommended lately on this site.

From the most courtious welcome to Chef Gary coming to say hello to us at the end of our dinner we had a most enjoyable and rewarding evening. The food was truly fabulous and I hope and pray that they will do well enough to remain open for a long time. We also had a chance to meet and speak with Helen and Mike Feygin who are a most gracious couple. Rosie, another NJ winner, without doubt.

My wife ordered their pasta special for the evening and it was truly a gem. Very wide noodles in a mushroom and fungus sauce that could not have been improved upon. I ordered the shrimp with grits (less the Kentcky ham as I do not eat any meat) and it too was excellent. We then ordered the two fish specials and we are still discussing which we liked better. To me a toss-up. My wife had the blackened grouper on top of a spicy risotto and I had wild salmon in a most beautiful, green horseradish sauce on top of asparagus I have ever come across. It came from the kitchen medium rare, exactly as I had ordered it and that alone scored a lot of points with me. Some chefs just don't know what medium rare means.

I absolutely agree with the posters, and a big bravo to them, who fell in love with and recommended this restaurant and I for one will be going back shortly (and hopefully often) for the exciting food served here. It was a 40 minute ride for us but well worth the effort.

Edited by Hank (log)

Hank

Heading over at 7:30 Saturday with the beloved. Anyone care to offer up a wine pairing from here?

My sophistication with wine (and most other things) veers towards Night Train and Thunderbird (What's the action? Satisfaction. What's the price? Never more than a dollar twice. Thunderbird.)

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Carmel (Israeli) Sauvignon Blanc under 10.00

Kendall Jackson Vintners Reserve Johannisberg Riesling 2004 and 2003

Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc 2004 also under 10.00

- My suggestions.. and below is someone elses! -

Dr. Loosen Riesling 2002/03/04 - twist top and always a pleasure. - 8/9 bucks at Bottle King

J&f Lurton Rueda White under $8 :rolleyes:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

bring a bottle of prosecco and a bottle of red. for red a simple fruit-forward italian would suffice to my mind. Tosca Toscana (not the chianti) would probably pair well with what you might order. 9 dollars or so. anonymouze's suggestion of Dr. L's riesling is spot on as far as i'm concerned.

3 bottles in a bag is always a good thing. open all 3, make sure to request that the corks be left on the table (for recorking), and take home what you don't finish. and ask for 3 glasses for each person (the tables here are plenty big to handle it). that way, you'll have the chance to pair 3 wines with whatever you order.

the dishes tend to be complicated here, with lots of flavors, and they lean on the sweet and fried sides of the spectrum. bubbles, riesling, and fruit-forward are where i usually end up.

stop at bottle king in glen rock on your way (i *think* it's on your way). they have cold prosecco and the others i mention at the best prices in the area.

Edited by tommy (log)

As predicted, went to Bottle King on our way over - picked up one of each. Brought the Tosca in. Good drinkin' wine.

We sit down and some knucklehead who is always ranting about being able to get a glass of Prosecco wanders over and brings a bottle of same to us. Tommy, Mrs. Tommy, Rosie and Mr. Rosie are a table away - looking well sated. Tom - the wine made a wonderful evening that much better. Thank you for your advice and your gracious gift. Rosie and Lowell, the joy and larger pant sizes that eGullet has given my wife and I come from you two. Thank you for supporting this wonderful forum. My wife and I struggled to remember how we first came across eGullet and could not remember but we both agreed our taste buds are better off for it.

The Meal:

Way too much food, all of it outstanding.

The homemade potato chips are mildly addictive - I am having withdrawal symptoms as I try to type this.

My wife had the ceasar salad with mozz hush puppies and the lamb four ways - could not decide which of the four ways she liked more. I had the shrimp and grits and barbecue ribs special. (Home-hickory smoked ribs, sauce on the side, mac and cheese, collard greens). It is nice how they temper the butter and cheese with a dash of macaroni - really really good. The ribs were perfectly smoked - pink and tender inside and crusty on the outside.

For dessert, we had lemon pie in a homemade graham cracker crust with a berry topping. FANTASTIC. Just the right mix of sweet and tart. Very good hot cup of coffee.

It really was too much food - we took half home - we managed the whole piece of pie, however, fighting for the last bite.

The prices were extremely reasonable - really too low for the very high quality of the food and the very large portions (did I mention yet that the portions are very large?).

Tommy & Rosie - thank you again.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Silver Oak is a winner and indeed a delicious place to dine. We started off with a side of the best mac and cheese that I have had in a long time and the “Rags and Fungus” pasta which was fabulous. I would recommend that you try one of the appetizers although a green salad with diced beets comes with dinner. Between the homemade chips with BBQ sauce and the bread with an herbed olive oil it’s easy to fill up before your entrees arrive. And you certainly want to save room for dessert.

For entrees we had a grilled monkfish and lobster served over shitake mushroom and spinach sauté; short ribs served with a white bean ragu and white corn polenta; grouper dusted with Cajun seasoning, pan-seared and served over cheesy grits with shrimp tomato Creole sauce; and a special of BBQ ribs. Everything was perfectly cooked, all extremely satisfying, and I can’t wait to return here to try some other menu items.

Homemade desserts consisted of a Shaker pie which reminded us of Key Lime pie and/or a cheesecake and a “do not miss if offered” sweet potato pie.

Service was attentive and I particularly liked that upon entering the restaurant we were warmly welcomed by the hostess. My one complaint is that specials were recited without the prices.

If you haven't been here put Silver Oak Bistro on your "must try" list.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Mike is there anything new and exciting coming to your menu that was should prep our tastebuds for in the spring?! Your menu is fantastic and I'm sure it would be hard to add more or improve upon near-perfection... but... I have to ask! :biggrin:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Mike,  I'd also like to know if you plan on having the waiters recite the specials with the prices?

My guess is that more that 75% of restaurants do NOT give prices when reciting specials. It's an endemic problem, and probably intentionally done as a sneaky marketing tool. But we could probably do a whole thread on the topic.

Mike,  I'd also like to know if you plan on having the waiters recite the specials with the prices?

My guess is that more that 75% of restaurants do NOT give prices when reciting specials. It's an endemic problem, and probably intentionally done as a sneaky marketing tool. But we could probably do a whole thread on the topic.

I think "sneaky marketing tool" is a bit harsh, especially in this case. The specials have always been priced in line with the regular menu. Overall, the prices at Silver Oak Bistro are very reasonable and I certainly don't think this is a conscious tactic.

If a restaurant is reciting the specials without prices, and the prices are far out of line with the regular menu, then I would agree that is a poorly chosen way for a restaurant to make a few extra bucks at the possible risk of a bad reputation.

Also, if prices are not given along with the recited specials at any restaurant...just ask.

I think "sneaky marketing tool" is a bit harsh, especially in this case.  The specials have always been priced in line with the regular menu.  Overall, the prices at Silver Oak Bistro are very reasonable and I certainly don't think this is a conscious tactic.

If a restaurant is reciting the specials without prices, and the prices are far out of line with the regular menu, then I would agree that is a poorly chosen way for a restaurant to make a few extra bucks at the possible risk of a bad reputation.

Also, if prices are not given along with the recited specials at any restaurant...just ask.

I was not singling out Silver Oak, I was making a general observation. And prices are usually higher on specials than the regular menu.

I'm with Rosie on this one, though. You should not have to ask. Following your line of reasoning, why have prices even on the printed menu? Just ask!

you could say that about a regular menu with no prices listed as well. there's a reason prices are listed, and that reason is because people want to know the prices. it's as simple as that.

here are the options, in order of widely accepted preference:

1) printed specials (obviously with prices listed)

2) spoken specials with prices listed

3) spoken specials with the speaker ignoring the fact that there are actually prices associated with the products they're describing.

if i'm a restaurant owner i'm not going with the last option. in fact, i'm going with the first option. i might even couple the first option with giving the server a chance to wax poetic about today's specials (there goes that sneaky marketing again - damn those restaurants for wanting to sell product!)

i agree that it's not a way to get over on the customer in most cases. just about all cases in fact. but rather, it's an oversight. which is why rosie (and many others) keeps on hammering away at it.

edit: cross-posted with menton1.

Edited by tommy (log)

I was not singling out Silver Oak, I was making a general observation.  And prices are usually higher on specials than the regular menu.

I'm with Rosie on this one, though.  You should not have to ask.  Following your line of reasoning, why have prices even on the printed menu?  Just ask!

It certainly seemed like you were singling out Silver Oak Bistro because you responded in a thread about Silver Oak Bistro instead of starting a new discussion elsewhere.

Key word in my response was "if". I completely agree with Tommy that the best scenario is when a restaurant prints the regular menu with prices and any specials with prices.

Prices aside, I think that I'm more likely to order a special when I can actually read what's in it rather than try to remember the specials recited while perusing the menu before deciding. Taking into consideration the complexity of the specials sometimes gets in the way of even beginning to piece together whether or not I want to spend my dinner in front of a plate of "Tonite's special is X on top of a bed of lightly sauteed Y enhanced with a soupcon of tenderly raised Z and AA, finished with a glaze of W and specially enhanced by our chef who, having just returned from the north western corner of obscure region of country B, will prepare your X in a regional manner"!

Write the specials down for the memory-impaired among us. Since you've got pen/chalk or whatever in hand or your word processing program open, take the leap and list the prices. If its sounds good, I'll order it!

it's an oversight.

Not too sure about that one. Hard to really know. Have to get into the psyche of the management for that one. But the fact is, that a lot more restos do NOT give prices with specials than do. That's been my experience, anyway.

there goes that sneaky marketing again - damn those restaurants for wanting to sell product!)

Yes, perhaps "sneaky" was the wrong choice of words. And sure, marketing tools, such as serving nuts or chips on the bar, are part of the way of doing business. But I think in this case they might be doing more to antagonize their customer than to sell them. I think most customers would prefer a printed list of specials every time. (Or at least a blackboard)

A complex issue.

I totally agree that a list of specials be printed out and added to the menu, with prices ofcourse. How often have we all wondered what were those first few specials after listening to 5/6 or more. Sometimes it becomes a game with us trying to remember. We always seem to lose.

Also, the time it takes for the waitpersons to stand at each table reciting the specials could be put to much better use by taking orders and serving. (More turnovers). Also, more than once we or a table near us were not told about one of the specials because the waitperson forgot to mention it and then were not happy when we saw that special heading for another table that we might very well would have ordered.

To my mind it is a lose,lose situation that can be so easily rectified.

Unfortunately there are so many restaurants guilty of this practice that I would love to know if there is a reason behind it. I am truly puzzled. More than two should be the absolute limit.

I have begged Cecil of China 46 to do away with his specials menus as you walk into the restaurant. There must be at least 30 or more and we hate standing there trying to read them while other diners are coming or going by. PLEASE, Cecil and all the other restauranters. Print them out, attach them to your menus and you will sell a lot more of them. I promise that it will be a win,win.

Hank

I like seeing specials on these http://www.nudell.com/lighted.htm "electric lighted black boards" at restaurants in a place where you can see it when sitting, OTHERWISE by the time I glance when I walk in I have forgotten the specials by the end of the conversation with my dining companion or husband. This way it's great for people to see what specials they have AND the ingredients if listed and the pricing! Anyhow any way a restaurant chooses to do "their thing" is fine with me.

They can also do the "quick printout" on a printer of the daily specials and stick it into their regular menu... that doesn't hurt either! :biggrin:

As for Silver Oak I'm sure Mike will find his Niche as other owners do... but again as an avid consumer and a previous business owner... I find the above mentioned way the best way to get across your "advertising/specials"! Goodluck. :rolleyes:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

it's an oversight.

Not too sure about that one. Hard to really know. Have to get into the psyche of the management for that one. But the fact is, that a lot more restos do NOT give prices with specials than do. That's been my experience, anyway.

i can't speak to the places you go, but i'm about as confident as i can be when i say that i'm certain that the restaurants i frequent aren't trying to get over on me or otherwise screw me, silver oak included, even when they're not reciting prices.