• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stephen Starr Rec?

Kobi

A friend at work from NYC is going down to Philly next wkend to go out to dinner with her boyfriend. They have a gift certificate to any Stephen Starr place.

I have been to: Pod, Buddakhan, Jones, Continentals, Alma de Cuba, El Vez.

Out of what I have been to, I reccomended Pod or Buddakhan. Money isn't really an issue, as they have a large stipend going in, what would you recommend? I was tempted to blindly suggest Morimoto, but never having been there was somewhat hesitant. They love all kinds of food, want something mildly romantic, and are definitely adventorous eaters.

I tried to push a Whiz Wit from Pat's, but it didn't fly. Thanks so much in advance.

- KOBI

Tell your friend that a Whiz Wit is a requirement when going down to Philly.....Out of the restaurants that you mentioned I have been to Pod a few times and really enjoyed it! A very cool atmosphere with great food, I think that they also have sushi. I remember getting Kobe beef there one time...3 strips which we got to cook on a hot lava rock!

A friend at work from NYC is going down to Philly next wkend to go out to dinner with her boyfriend.  They have a gift certificate to any Stephen Starr place. 

I have been to: Pod, Buddakhan, Jones, Continentals, Alma de Cuba, El Vez.

Out of what I have been to, I reccomended Pod or Buddakhan.  Money isn't really an issue, as they have a large stipend going in, what would you recommend?  I was tempted to blindly suggest Morimoto, but never having been there was somewhat hesitant.  They love all kinds of food, want something mildly romantic, and are definitely adventorous eaters.

I tried to push a Whiz Wit from Pat's, but it didn't fly.  Thanks so much in advance.

- KOBI

My own take is that Starr really doesn't do romantic.

If your guests would rather take in the show than be part of it, they could request a table on the balcony at Buddakan.

I'd also suggest they try Striped Bass. Especially since Starr really didn't muck up that place's spectacular ambience all that much.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Morimoto is the best Starr joint I've been to, but if money is really, truly no object, they may want to try Barclay Prime. It seems made for people who are spending someone else's money, and from what I've heard, it's excellent. The menu probably won't be as interesting as Morimoto, though.

I agree with Sandy that Starr restaurants aren't on the romantic side. "Scene" and "loud" come to mind. I've been to Morimoto, Buddakan, Alma de Cuba, and Jones, and I'd recommend Morimoto. But since I don't think Buddakan's chef is a NY transplant as Morimoto and Doug Rodriguez are, they may want to try that instead. Then again, Buddakan was not nearly as good as Morimoto.

One word about Morimoto: the Kobe beef, though very good, is not really Kobe beef, but Kobe style beef raised somewhere in Texas.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Morimoto is a safe bet, they'll have a good, and memorable time, and it could border on romantic, the light is low, there are small two-tops along one wall.

But if they're thinking romantic, Tangerine is the place. I also happen to like the food there... It's ostensibly Moroccan-fusion, and some of the more Moroccan things are pretty good, like the Tagine. But much of it is more generally Mediterranean, and I've liked most things I've gotten there. It's just a lovely spot, lit in deep blue, a wall of inset candles, generally well-picked music. And it's unusual enough, it might be novel, even for folks from NYC.

http://tangerinerestaurant.com/

The one downside is that on a weekend, that whole neighborhood where Tangerine is located gets overrun by a twentysomething party crowd. If they can do dinner earlyish and get out of the neighborhood, they'd be OK.

Pod is loads of fun, but I wouldn't call it especially romantic. Striped Bass is elegant, and has great food, but it's not an intimate space. I haven't been to Barclay Prime, but I've heard generally good reports (except a couple of not-so-great couples experiences reported here), and in the end it's a steakhouse, for better or worse.

I'd do Morimoto or Tangerine, depending on what type of cuisine appeals.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Having been to Barclay Prime twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times (yes I did get the $100 kobe cheesesteak) I have no hesitation suggesting your friends go there. I've also been to all the other places mentioned and have to agree with Sandy that Starr doesn't really do romantic.

Barclay Prime is right across from the Rittenhouse Square and is as close to romantic as Starr has to offer. Food is quite good and quite expensive. Service is top notch, friendly and professional.

Let us know where the ended up

If money is no object and it's all about someone else paying the freight then Morimoto or Barclay Prime. There's better (and waaay more affordable) sushi and steak to be had, but hell, if it's someone else's dime...

For food, out of all the SRO restaurants I'd go to Striped Bass or Tangerine.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

if sharing a booth with a gently glowing phallus between you on the table doesn't qualify as romantic, then i don't know what to tell you guys... :raz:

Wait!!! which one of the restaurants has the glowing phallus!!!??? :laugh: You left out a most important detail!!

if sharing a booth with a gently glowing phallus between you on the table doesn't qualify as romantic, then i don't know what to tell you guys... :raz:

Wait!!! which one of the restaurants has the glowing phallus!!!??? :laugh: You left out a most important detail!!

Morimoto features permanently installed, curvy, candle-like lighting fixtures protruding, and I do mean protruding, from the centers of many of the tables. They do elicit frequent giggles...

philadining.com

Looks like she settled on Buddakhan... thanks so much for all the help everyone, and I will certainly report back.

Thanks again,

KOBI

Probably the least romantic choice of the lot. Unless you like huge crowds, lots of noise and a meat market atmosphere at the bar. Ugh.

Even at Jones you can be romantic and pretend you're Mr. & Mrs. Brady. :raz:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Probably the least romantic choice of the lot.  Unless you like huge crowds, lots of noise and a meat market atmosphere at the bar. Ugh.

A-hah! So it wasn't my imagination. When we were there on Tuesday, I commented to my husband that the bar looked like a pick-up place. He didn't think so, so I started to doubt myself.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Probably the least romantic choice of the lot.  Unless you like huge crowds, lots of noise and a meat market atmosphere at the bar. Ugh.

A-hah! So it wasn't my imagination. When we were there on Tuesday, I commented to my husband that the bar looked like a pick-up place. He didn't think so, so I started to doubt myself.

That's why I referred to "taking in the show rather than being part of it."

The one time I ate there--with a good friend and his then-kinda-sorta-lover--we ate on the balcony, which is quieter and a little more "intimate".

As for that Brady reference, Katie, have you been on the rooftop level of the Continental Mid-town yet? The enclosed lounge is one of the Bradiest spaces I've been in in years.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

That's why I referred to "taking in the show rather than being part of it."

The one time I ate there--with a good friend and his then-kinda-sorta-lover--we ate on the balcony, which is quieter and a little more "intimate".

As for that Brady reference, Katie, have you been on the rooftop level of the Continental Mid-town yet? The enclosed lounge is one of the Bradiest spaces I've been in in years.

That rooftop is a bit Brady-esque, but the dining room at Jones looks just like the Brady's living room. Especially if you add in the cutie waitrons in LaCoste Alligator rugby shirts for their uniforms. It's just so 70's!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

She ended up going to Budakhan and loved it, especially the "chocolate box" which she had for dessert.

Glad to hear it! If one orders carefully, one can eat very well at Buddakan, I've had a couple of very enjoyable meals there. But there are some merely OK crowd-pleasing things on the menu too, so it just takes some thought, and some luck, to get the right stuff. And indeed the chocolate box is very good, as are the little donuts...

And I'm sure the density of irritating scenester singles fluctuates, it's been rather serene when I've gone.

But if she gets another gift certificate, have them go to Tangerine!

philadining.com