• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amuse Cafe in Venice

lizard

RIP: Amuse Cafe

Amuse Cafe Website

After a few months of erratic hours and a missing liquor license, the restaurant appears to have closed its doors for good. Maybe this is another case of the space being cursed? Table & Van Gogh also had problems here.

Here's hoping chef Brooke Williamson finds another outlet for her talent soon.

[edited to clarify RIP notice removed by 3rd party]

Edited by lizard (log)

lizard,

I just checked the link you put up and read the following:

We greatly appreciate how understanding you have all been through our many schedule changes over the past year. It has been a long and arduous process applying for our wine and beer license, but it has finally come to a successful conclusion. Yipeeee!!!

We finally actually have our license.

It looks like news of Amuse Cafe's death are a bit false ...

FYI Brooke also has a very popular bar/restaurant called Beechwood.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I think Amuse is in a fairly good location - actually better than Beechwood, which has a history of quite a few different owners, after the Irish pub burned down. Beechwood is trendy (for the moment), but that may not last either. Amuse does appear to be in business still, but I prefer to eat at Joe's, which is just around the corner. I also preferred Van Gogh's to Amuse, and it seemed more appropriate for the neighborhood.

Amuse is CLOSED. It has been so for a while and has been for sale. It was lit up at night to not look deserted while it was for sale. They also still did some catering. That all ended and the final chapter for Amuse has been written. I for one miss the black rice and baby octopus and the smokey ribs at Amuse. Brooke is at Beechwood and has a hand in the menu but is not in the kitchen nightly. Nick is and he does a great job. Beechwood's dinning room has slowed down enough to where you can get a table most times other than weekend prime time w/o res. The food is very modestly priced for the excellent quality IMO . They offer the BAR menu in the dinning room and it is full of yummie treats that can be made into a meal by sharing 3 or 4 amongst 2 people. We are in a sea of overpriced, undervalued meals in L.A. and it is a pleasure to go out and really enjoy ourselves for well under $100 ( inc. tax and tip) per couple with drinks. I am a big fan of the short ribs or the steak the latter being only $24 or so which is downright cheap for dry aged prime beef NY cut. I paid $42 recently in Hollywood and there was no difference in the two steaks other than price. You can pay even more in some of L.A.'s "hot" restaurants.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

lizard,

I just checked the link you put up and read the following:

We greatly appreciate how understanding you have all been through our many schedule changes over the past year. It has been a long and arduous process applying for our wine and beer license, but it has finally come to a successful conclusion. Yipeeee!!!

We finally actually have our license.

It looks like news of Amuse Cafe's death are a bit false ...

FYI Brooke also has a very popular bar/restaurant called Beechwood.

Russell,

The same message has been up on their site since August.

Have you tried calling that phone number?

It has been disconnected since at least last week.

I actually work for one of their vendors, and they contacted us to let us know.

Sad to admit, but it looks like the news of Amuse Cafe's death is indeed true.