• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 2002 Père Guillot Morgon

jrufusj

• 2002 Domaine du Père Guillot Morgon Cuvée des Grands Cras - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (11/30/2005)
    Deepish red with just a touch of purple. Nose shows firm berries and just barely ripe sweet cherry, along with some dust and an element of violet. I'm not sure, but there also seems to be a touch of oak (or some form of woodiness), but it is not overpowering -- just mildly distracting. Palate has nice tart, crunchy cherry fruit on entry that deepens slightly into berries and even a little plum on the mid-palate. From mid-palate to the finish, there is a really nice granite and earth element that -- along with good acid -- keeps things interesting. There's also a parting shot of oddly hard tannin at the very back of the mouth as the wine moves into a medium finish of sour cherry and a hint of chocolate. A fair match with bolognese-sauced pasta, this should get better with two or three more years on it. It certainly has the fruit, acid, and a touch of tannin to last a while. If the woodiness is from oak, I expect that will it integrate nicely. If the woodiness is from green stems or similar, then it is best drunk now while the fruit is fresh. I don't often say this, but I hope this saw a bit too much oak. Great structural balance and fruit intensity. That odd woody element keeps it from being a real winner tonight.

Edited by jrufusj (log)

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.