• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Laduree at Harrods

balex

For one reason or the other, Ladurée reminds me of GM crops v organic crops.

All these beautiful Macarons look precisely the same in size and texture with a variant of colour. Simply is not real and can only be achieved with the help of your friendly German and Swiss equipment! This is mass production at it's best.

When you bite into a macaron, although the crunch and texture is perfect but you have to work hard for the taste and their explanation is a one of "refined" taste as in humm where is it?

Even the patisserie is line produced. The range is not original as it is the same old French repertoire with the Religieuse, Mont Blanc, and of course their botched Ispahan which was originally created by Pierre Hermé before quiting Ladurée to open his own pastry shop.

Laduree has still to find a replacement and has a lot of catch up to do.

I have been told that an Ispahan "buche de Noel" by Pierre Hermé is in the making. Now this is Xmas.

I think we'd all agree that it's good compared with what else is generally available in London.

For one reason or the other, Ladurée reminds me of GM crops v organic crops.

All these beautiful Macarons look precisely the same in size and texture with a variant of colour. Simply is not real and can only be achieved with the help of your friendly German and Swiss equipment! This is mass production at it's best.

When you bite into a macaron, although the crunch and texture is perfect but you have to work hard for the taste and their explanation is a one of "refined" taste as in humm where is it?

Even the patisserie is line produced. The range is not original as it is the same old French repertoire with the Religieuse, Mont Blanc, and of course their botched Ispahan which was originally created by Pierre Hermé before quiting Ladurée to open his own pastry shop.

Laduree has still to find a replacement and has a lot of catch up to do.

I have been told that an Ispahan "buche de Noel" by Pierre Hermé is in the making. Now this is Xmas.

I think we'd all agree that it's good compared with what else is generally available in London.

Methinks a trip out to Richmond is in order....William Curley is producing patisserie there of a far higher standard than the technically very competent but over-hyped fare of Laduree.

• 1 year later...
I see there's a new Laduree outpost on the corner of Burlington Arcade/Picadilly.

I've only noticed it in the last few days but it could have been there a lot longer.

Has anyone been?

I called in today, they said that they had been open for 10 days.I bought a box of mini macarons, an Ispahan and a violet religieuse.The latter 2 were excellent, the macarons will wait until tomorrow, or at least until after my Ginger Pig supper.