• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hispanic Fiesta in Melbourne

Since not many members may not check all threads I decided to bring this to the fore by posting this event on its own It will go for two days on 19 and 20 of November

Actaully it used to be celebrated the first Saturday aftewr the 12th of October which is the offcial day Columbus discovery of The Americas and I think this was moved to november because we used to get rains and quite a bit in 1978

Anyhow you are all invited http://www.hispanicfiesta.com.au/

check this site out and make your way to this event

• 2 weeks later...

A few of us are going to be there through the course of the weekend, so it might be an opportunity to hang out, whatever.

If anyone is interested in hooking up, we should exchange details over PM or email, in accordance with the eG policy.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

A few of us are going to be there through the course of the weekend, so it might be an opportunity to hang out, whatever.

If anyone is interested in hooking up, we should exchange details over PM or email, in accordance with the eG policy.

My msg was sent days ago and did not received a reply so I guess see you all tomorrow

at the fiesta

piazzola, i'm wondering why i didn't receive any PM's from you. happens sometimes apparently. :angry:

and apologies to Fou de Bassan for not calling over the weekend re: Fiesta :blush: . had backyard blitz problems (paving!!) and made it up there around 8.30 saturday night.

Just in time for dinner I say!

Ate the following:

- empanadas

- fish taco

- caramel filled churros

- Brazilian croquettes.... i'm sure that's not what they're called, but they're good, complete with funky Brazilian portuguese names with X's and stuff in 'em.

And... what was for me, the piece de resistance :biggrin: ... the Asado Tipico from Colombia... man, that was so cool, a platter of meat, meaning beef and pork, slow cooked over coals and briquettes... seasoned, spiced, man it was good, washed down with a home made lemonade, don't know how hispanic that really is, but hey, it worked.

More info is required, I didn't have time to take numbers and stuff, so will have to email the organisers or something to make some head way into identifying just how one can get their hands on such foods during non-fiesta times.

Any, I mean, any, info gratefully received.

piazzola, i'm wondering why i didn't receive any PM's from you. happens sometimes apparently.  :angry:

and apologies to Fou de Bassan for not calling over the weekend re: Fiesta :blush: . had backyard blitz problems (paving!!) and made it up there around 8.30 saturday night.

Ate the following:

- empanadas

- fish taco

- caramel filled churros

- Brazilian croquettes.... i'm sure that's not what they're called, but they're good, complete with funky Brazilian portuguese names with X's and stuff in 'em.

And... what was for me, the piece de resistance  :biggrin: ... the Asado Tipico from Colombia... man, that was so cool, a platter of meat, meaning beef and pork, slow cooked over coals and briquettes... seasoned, spiced, man it was good, washed down with a home made lemonade, don't know how hispanic that really is, but hey, it worked.   

More info is required, I didn't have time to take numbers and stuff, so will have to email the organisers or something to make some head way into identifying just how one can get their hands on such foods during non-fiesta times.

Sorry I thought you have receive my msg with my mobile # in it

Anyway I was kind of dissapointed since we don't seem to get something really worth while since 1978

Brazilians concentrated in their own off street activities and not much as far as food was offered though I was looking forward to some good salgados and bolinhos de bacalau for instance.

Mexicans did not live to my expectations at all except for their old traditional song and dance but sombreros do not make a festival. their food showing was quite substandard.

Chileans were once again the bright start though their cuisine isn't that sophisticated

still I don't know why they show typical argentinean things on their menus as choripan. their empanadas were good as always I enjoy this item very much

Colombians had a modest show of arepas and that was good enough to show typical regional cooking

Churros something that do not appeal to me in warmer weather like to have them when it is damp and cold dipped in chocolate. But did not try them

Argentinean apparently had one BBQ stand but their chorizos had a long way to go not so their blood puddings and probably should have removed their bbq meat off the sun (though it wasn't hot)

I noticed the Spanish stands were good on their paellas but i did not try any

I also di dnot like their puffed up tortillas but this is a question of preference in my old country we have them as a cross between tortillas and fritatta.

Some cake and sweets stands were one better than the other but confectionary lacked sophistication and presentation was very chunky and looked as they have come from the stone age to my experience we have very good confiterias y panaderias over there.

I tells what I have enjoyed were empanadas, fried calamari rings and colombian arepas con queso

Overal a good effort though someone has to take care of menu organisation just as much as event and crowd control and map the venue to better suit visitors

Edited by piazzola (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to Fou de Bassan, and she reckoned the variety was a bit lacking too.

Good to get feedback from people who actually know what's going on with the regions in question.

Now, the question is, and perhaps this is directed at Piazzola, do you know where such foods can be had in Melbourne year 'round? I was told that the night market at the Queen Vic can sometimes have stalls showing the BBQ and such.

piazzola, i'm wondering why i didn't receive any PM's from you. happens sometimes apparently.  :angry:

Ate the following:

- empanadas

- fish taco

- caramel filled churros

And... what was for me, the piece de resistance  :biggrin: ... the Asado Tipico from Colombia... man, that was so cool, a platter of meat, meaning beef and pork, slow cooked over coals and briquettes... seasoned, spiced, man it was good, washed down with a home made lemonade, don't know how hispanic that really is, but hey, it worked.   

Sorry I thought you have receive my msg with my mobile # in it

Anyway I was kind of dissapointed since we don't seem to get something really worth while since 1978

Brazilians concentrated in their own off street activities and not much as far as food was offered though I was looking forward to some good salgados and bolinhos de bacalau for instance.

Mexicans did not live to my expectations at all except for their old traditional song and dance but sombreros do not make a festival. their food showing was quite substandard.

Chileans were once again the bright start though their cuisine isn't that sophisticated

still I don't know why they show typical argentinean things on their menus as choripan. their empanadas were good as always I enjoy this item very much

Colombians had a modest show of arepas and that was good enough to show typical regional cooking

Churros something that do not appeal to me in warmer weather like to have them when it is damp and cold dipped in chocolate. But did not try them

Argentinean apparently had one BBQ stand but their chorizos had a long way to go not so their blood puddings and probably should have removed their bbq meat off the sun (though it wasn't hot)

I noticed the Spanish stands were good on their paellas but i did not try any

I also di dnot like their puffed up tortillas but this is a question of preference in my old country we have them as a cross between tortillas and fritatta.

Some cake and sweets stands were one better than the other but confectionary lacked sophistication and presentation was very chunky and looked as they have come from the stone age to my experience we have very good confiterias y panaderias over there.

I tells what I have enjoyed were empanadas, fried calamari rings and colombian arepas con queso

Overal a good effort though someone has to take care of menu organisation just as much as event and crowd control and map the venue to better suit visitors

Honestly dunno

I'll ask around there must be some apart from the normal community clubs

What specific foods or countries are you interested in? thanks

• 3 weeks later...

PCL just found that there is a night market eveny tonite

he SUZUKI Night Market, 2005-2006

This year, Suzuki and Carlton United Brewery's Cascade Brewery are proud to sponsor the Night Market.

Dates:

Every Wednesday night from 30th November – 22nd March 2006

(except 28th December 2005)

Time: 5:30pm – 10:00pm

Pedestrian entry from corner Queen and Therry Streets and from Peel Street

See Getting Here for more information.

Cost: Free