• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Forbes: Most Expensive U.S. Restaurants 2005

Gifted Gourmet

Forbes Magazine article

When compiling our second annual list of The Most Expensive Restaurants in the U.S., a question arose. Has fine dining gotten a little too fine when bills for two (including a good bottle of wine and maybe a snifter or two of cognac) at the best establishments in the country routinely approach--and exceed--the $1000 mark?

"I think people are becoming accustomed to paying more when they go out to dinner," says Charles "Chick" Marshall, chairman of DiRoNa ... "There's so much emphasis on prime ingredients and on the level of service at restaurants today. This whole cadre of celebrity chefs has created a demand for the best. And people are willing to spend for it."

And spending they are: The National Restaurant Association estimates that the industry will generate sales of $476 billion by the end of 2005.

(Be sure to take a look at the link called "click here for the slideshow" ...)

Is fine dining reaching really stratospheric proportions now?

How far would you go in paying for a dinner for two people?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Oh the shame, GG, that Atlanta only managed to put up but a singleton: Seeger's. Gunter must be trying to amortize the makeover a little faster.

The title of the story is a misnomer. These are not 'The Most Expensive Restaurants in the U.S.'--not by a long shot. What they are is 'The Most Expensive Restaurants in a Dozen And A Half Or So American Cities and One Exurb.'

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Oh the shame, GG, that Atlanta only managed to put up but a singleton: Seeger's. Gunter must be trying to amortize the makeover a little faster.

Yes, Jamie, I am duly humiliated by this flaw in the fabric of local dining ... and as to whether Gunter's makeover" will bring in the dining dollars? Hopefully so .. I intend to see how the new place works out by dining there shortly ...

Your second point is also well taken .. the list is a compendium of various somewhat expensive places around the US. What the exact specifiactions were for compiling said list, I have not a clue.

methodology ...

That said, I still trust Forbes to bring forth some good articles ... on occasion ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Interesting. It seems they're basing their "most expensive" tag on the "tasting menu" or "prix fixe" dinner menu options only. Le Bec Fin is expensive if you do the prix fixe dinner option, but is a comparative bargain for lunch at $54/person prix fixe. I'm surprised that Morimoto and/or Striped Bass didn't make the cut for high end Philly restaurant choices if prix fixe menus are the criteria. Ordering a la carte isn't considered in this survey and that clearly skews the results. I wonder how valid any of the results are if they aren't taking real check averages into consideration or factoring in a la carte ordering or lunch checks, provided the restaurant is open for lunch.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Interesting.  It seems they're basing their "most expensive" tag on the "tasting menu" or "prix fixe" dinner menu options only. . . . [sNIP] I wonder how valid any of the results are if they aren't taking real check averages into consideration or factoring in a la carte ordering or lunch checks, provided the restaurant is open for lunch.

Perhaps they were trying to shed a bit of new light, Katie.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Interesting.  It seems they're basing their "most expensive" tag on the "tasting menu" or "prix fixe" dinner menu options only. . . . [sNIP] I wonder how valid any of the results are if they aren't taking real check averages into consideration or factoring in a la carte ordering or lunch checks, provided the restaurant is open for lunch.

Perhaps they were trying to shed a bit of new light, Katie.

Agreed. But the criteria needs to be stated up front for anyone to get a clue what they're really profiling. Nowhere did I see an explanation other than:

To compile our list, we worked with the Washington, D.C.-based Travel Industry Association to ascertain the 20 American cities with the highest volume of annual business travelers--after all, these are the people whose expense accounts support much of the industry. Then we partnered with the New York-based Zagat Survey to get dollar amounts (which represent the estimated price of dinner, with one drink and tip, per person) for the most expensive restaurant in each city.

Doesn't explain lunch vs dinner, a la carte vs prix fixe or anything remotely similar. It's skewed and needs to be stated as such to have any validity whatsoever. What about "off the beaten track" restaurants like the Ryland Inn in NJ? Might not hit their criteria or radar screen because it doesn't draw the "expense account" crowd. There's plenty of examples of places like that. That's my point and I'm sticking with it. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

There's plenty of examples of places like that.  That's my point and I'm sticking with it.  :biggrin:

Exactly. The list would have had some impact had it been correctly titled and its methodology defined. Zagat? I'd love to have the difference between their published ADC and Reality, nationwide, for one night.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

We had a $150 dinner served with paper napkins in a caboose in Milford, New Hampshire the other night, so these prices don't seem ridiculously overpriced. Granted, our chef trained with Paul Bocuse, but it seemed a little over the top for a town whose claim to fame is a pumpkin festival. Every upscale restaurant around here seems to have entrees in the $25 - $30 range. Compared to big cities in Europe though, Forbes' restaurants are a relative bargain.

The title of the story is a misnomer. These are not 'The Most Expensive Restaurants in the U.S.'--not by a long shot. What they are is 'The Most Expensive Restaurants in a Dozen And A Half Or So American Cities and One Exurb.'

Indeed.

The most expensive restaurants in the Midwestern cities on this list -- Chicago the notable exception -- would probably be fine-dining bargains on the coasts.

Though I believe it is possible to get out of Susanna Foo here in Philly for less than $70/person with wine and tip if you order right.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Though I believe it is possible to get out of Susanna Foo here in Philly for less than $70/person with wine and tip if you order right.

True, but you might still be hungry. :raz:

Again, Susanna Foo like Le Bec Fin is the killer deal at lunch. $24.95/person for three courses of your choosing of Soup or Salad, Dim Sum, Entree or Dessert. THAT is a bargain. The a la carte menu at dinner tends toward precious portions. I'll go for lunch anytime though.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Has fine dining gotten a little too fine when bills for two (including a good bottle of wine and maybe a snifter or two of cognac) at the best establishments in the country routinely approach--and exceed--the $1000 mark?

Routinely? If pairs of people are regularly paying $500 per person at a restaurant, as far as I'm concerned, the fault lies with the people, not the restaurant.

The most expensive meal for two I've consumed was $360, and it was not worth it. Minibar at Cafe Atlantico is a relative bargain at $85 prix fixe, and it is an amazing, transformative food experience.

I agree, the methodology is a problem. Too sketchy to make a real point.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

• 3 weeks later...

Fine dining and high-priced plates are the culinary equilvalent of the overextravigance of the Roman Empire's decline. It's gotten ridiculous, and I'm tired of it. I get suckered into a pricey meal here and there — celebrate this, celebrate that — and every time I walk out of place having spent $120 plus for two people to put goddamn food in our mouths, I feel like a fool.

To each his own, and don't get me wrong — I'm impressed with the creativity these chefs are demonstrating and the remarkable flavors they conjure — but it's gotten to the point where it's just excess. Too rich, overbuttered, and you walk out stifling the urge to projectile vomit from calorie overload. When did we all become such snobs? I am much happier spending a third the price on a humble Vietnamese or Korean restaurant on the outskirts of a city, where I am the minority among clientelle, the food is sublime and actually what real people eat to nourish themselves. Or making some Guiness venison stew at home.

Unfortunately, where I live (a picturesque, waterfront town of 12,000 or so with lots of wealth), it's either eat rich or eat dull. The only affordable meals are pizza, sugary Chinese, border Mexican or a burger. No Pho, no Middle Eastern kebabs, no Indian. It pays around here to know how to cook.

I will spend a little bit on sushi sometimes, but if I were to hit the powerball right now, I would still never pay $1G for a meal.

To each his own, and don't get me wrong — I'm impressed with the creativity these chefs are demonstrating and the remarkable flavors they conjure — but it's gotten to the point where it's just excess. Too rich, overbuttered, and you walk out stifling the urge to projectile vomit from calorie overload. When did we all become such snobs?

I'm not sure snobbery has anything to do with it. It's all about how you want to spend your money and what makes you happy. Some people collect rare coins, some sports memorabelia, some rare albums. I understand your point, I just think you're coming dangerously close to the dreaded "judgemental" line.

On another point, I've generally found that the best high-end meals I've eaten leave me feeling satisfied and pleasently full as opposed to "stifling the urge to projectile vomit".

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/