• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
hzrt8w

Pictorial: Squid Stir-Fried with Shrimp Sauce

hzrt8w   

Squid Stir-Fried with Shrimp Sauce (蝦醬炒鮮鱿)

Shrimp sauce is commonly used in Southern coastal Chinese (e.g. Cantonese) cookings in stir-fried dishes. It is especially good with squid, ong choy [Cantonese] (hollow vegetable), and pork. This recipe features using shrimp sauce to stir-fry small squid.

Note: Cooking with shrimp sauce will produce some strong smells in the kitchen. It may take some getting used to.

Serving suggestion: 2

gallery_19795_1947_8576.jpg

Main ingredients.

About 2 pounds of small squid. It may sound like a lot, but after cleaning and shrinkage the edible portion of the squid is not that much. Other main ingredients: garlic, ginger, green onion and shrimp paste.

gallery_19795_1947_16501.jpg

With each small squid, cut off the tentacle portion. Trim and discard eyes and beak. Make a cut along the body. Remove and discard guts and tear off the outer purple-color membrane.

This cleaning process is very labor intensive. I would advise you to buy the preclean squid packages. They cost more on a pound-for-pound basis. Considering the unedible portions and the labor saving, it's well worth it.

Clean all squid and drain.

gallery_19795_1947_17005.jpg

Boil a pot/pan of water. Add squids and about 5 slivers of ginger. Boil for about 3 minutes. Remove.

gallery_19795_1947_15075.jpg

Drain the squid on a strainer. You can see that the squid shrink quite a bit when cooked.

gallery_19795_1947_28081.jpg

Prepare other ingredients.

Mince about 3-4 cloves of garlic. Chop up 2 green onions, 1/2 inch in length. Cut 5 slices of chili (e.g. jalapeno). Shred some ginger, about 1 inch in length. Prepare 2-3 tsp of shrimp paste. 1-2 tsp of Shao Hsing cooking wine (contained in the cap).

gallery_19795_1947_30250.jpg

Use a pan/wok. Heat it over high setting. Add 2 tblsp of cooking oil. Wait until oil starts fuming. Add minced garlic, sliced chili, shredded ginger and shrimp paste. (Note: no need to add salt because the shrimp paste is very salty.)

gallery_19795_1947_22518.jpg

Stir well. Cook the shrimp sauce for about 10 seconds and let the fragrance develops. Quickly dash in the cooking wine. It may induce a small flame which lasts a fraction of a second. Keep stirring.

gallery_19795_1947_3388.jpg

Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth into the mixture. Add 1 tsp of sugar. Stir well. Continue to heat until boiled. If the sauce is too runny, use a small amount of corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce.

gallery_19795_1947_15840.jpg

Re-add the squid. Add chopped green onions.

gallery_19795_1947_7482.jpg

Keep stirring and cook for another few minutes. Done.

gallery_19795_1947_33603.jpg

The finished dish.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Tepee   

Ah Leung Gaw, you're really relieving us from dinner planning by having such a wide repertoire of dishes. "Hmm...what should I cook for today? Let me consult Ah Leung's food pictorials."

On a food presentation note...I score the squid diagonally left and right.

Edit: tks, gus....just squished the 's' from my squid.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

helenjp   

I have the same brand of Chinese cooking wine :biggrin: !

I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds cleaning lots of those small young squid a bore and a chore. It seems to go best if I can use an old clean cloth to rub/pull the skin off.

hzrt8w   
On a food presentation note...I score the squids diagonally left and right.

I would too if the squid are bigger. With the small ones, one cross cut from the chef knief would cut them in half. Oops! :raz:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

thanks for the pictorial~! :smile:

if i can't get Shao Hsing, can i substitute 'real' mirin (15% alcohol), sake, or sherry?

also, hzrt8w: have you ever tried salt and pepper squid? :wub: do you know what the ratio of salt to Szechuan peppercorn is in the seasoning mix?

thanks in advance,

gus

edit to add: just a tiny grammar note, which didn't at all detract from my enjoyment of your post: in English, even in the plural, 'squid' is singular. i know: it's weird. don't try to understand it... :raz::laugh:

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

hzrt8w   
if i can't get Shao Hsing, can i substitute 'real' mirin (15% alcohol), sake, or sherry?

Sure. Sake and Shao Hsing taste very similar. (You mean haven't drunken some of them? :wink: ) Sherry may be a bit too sweet. Rice based wine would be the best.

also, hzrt8w: have you ever tried salt and pepper squid?  :wub:  do you know what the ratio of salt to Szechuan peppercorn is in the seasoning mix?

Do you mean eating them or cooking them? :wink: If it's me, I would mix the salt and Szechuan peppercorn (powder) 1:1.

Edit to note: Thanks for the grammar tip. I know "squids" looked weird but couldn't tell what it was. Corrected. Thanks.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Ben Hong   

Um...err.. uh..Ah Leung, beggin' your pardon, but did really mean 2-3 tablespoons of shrimp sauce in your dish, or was it 2-3 teaspoons? I would find that 2-3 tablespoons of the stuff in a single dish would not be palatable. ...too salty.

Again, no effrontery meant.

hzrt8w   
Um...err.. uh..Ah Leung, beggin' your pardon, but did really mean 2-3 tablespoons of shrimp sauce in your dish, or was it 2-3 teaspoons? I would find that 2-3 tablespoons of the stuff in a single dish would not be palatable. ...too salty.

2-3 teaspoon is correct.

I thought that the short for teaspoon is "tsp" and tablespoon is "tblsp". Is this a standard? No? Are there any abbreviation standards? Maybe I need to spell them out every time? These darn names both abbreviated to ts.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Pan   
[...]just a tiny grammar note, which didn't at all detract from my enjoyment of your post: in English, even in the plural, 'squid' is singular. i know: it's weird. don't try to understand it...  :raz:  :laugh:

Well, according to Merriam-Webster, either form is acceptable for the plural.

[...]I thought that the short for teaspoon is "tsp" and tablespoon is "tblsp".  Is this a standard?  No?  Are there any abbreviation standards?  Maybe I need to spell them out every time?  These darn names both abbreviated to ts.

Ah Leung, your abbreviations are the ones I'm familiar with, for whatever that's worth.

How salty and shrimpy does the ultimate dish taste? I'm not too familiar with that type of shrimp sauce and very familiar with the much darker Malaysian/Indonesian belacan/terasi.

pcbilly   

Ah Leung:

Another great pictorial !

I can smell the shirmp sauce just by looking at these pictures. :raz:

Can you tell us the brand of shrimp sauce that you use ?

Also, this dish is similiar to one of my favour Cantonese dish - sour pickled vegetable squid (酸菜炒鮮鱿).

Can I make 酸菜炒鮮鱿 by substituting salted balck bean and sour pickled vegatable for the shrimp sauce ?

Thanks

William

hzrt8w   
How salty and shrimpy does the ultimate dish taste? I'm not too familiar with that type of shrimp sauce and very familiar with the much darker Malaysian/Indonesian belacan/terasi.

Michael: Thank you for checking my sanity. :smile:

Re: Chinese shrimp sauce versus Malaysian/Indonesian belacan/terasi. I have not used the Malaysian/Indonesian counterparts so I have no comparison. But I heard that the Chinese shrimp sauce is milder, less salty. Sometimes it seems to me that the Chinese shrimp sauce is more salty than "shrimpy" in taste.

2 teaspoons should make this dish delightfully flavored without an overpowering shrimpy/salty taste. If one wants it saltier or heavier in shrimp taste, add some more sauce.

hzrt8w   
Can I make 酸菜炒鮮鱿 by substituting salted balck bean and sour pickled vegatable for the shrimp sauce ?

William: I have not made this dish before. But if I were to make it, I would keep the chili slices and garlic but skip the ginger and green onions. I would also add a pinch of salt (because not using shrimp sauce), and more sugar (e.g. 3 teaspoons) to balance the sourness of pickled mustard greens. Should be a delicious entree too! :smile:

Ben Hong   

Ah Leung, 10,000 apologies. Indeed you are right it does read "tsp" (teaspoon). (I should be wearing my glasses after midnight).

muichoi   

Nice dish-with the squid we get here, I prefer to use larger ones, and i cook much more quickly-blanch just until the scored squid just curls up, then cool with iced water, the final frying done very fast-perfectly tender squid this way. I also sometimes like to use a mixture of reconstituted dried squid and the fresh.

Ah Leung,

Thanks for the great pictorial. I love viewing them, because they remind me of forgotten dishes that I need to add to my repertoire. Unfortunately, my husband doesn’t like shrimp sauce, so if I want to eat it, I need to get him out of the house--not that the smell won't drive him away! :laugh:

BTW, other accepted abbreviations are "T" for tablespoon, "t" for teaspoon, and "#" for pound.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

hzrt8w   
That looks delicious. Is that Koon Chun Brand Shrimp Sauce? It looks like their label.

Yes it is. That's what I use.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      We are all used to unami now. Maybe it's time to consider gan. Particularly found in teas, but also in other foods. An interesting article from a great magazine.

Going, going gan
    • By liuzhou
      I’m an idiot. It’s official.

A couple of weeks back, on another thread, the subject of celtuce and its leafing tops came up (somewhat off-topic). Someone said that the tops are difficult to find in Asian markets and I replied that I also find the tops difficult to find here in China. Nonsense. They are very easy to find. They just go under a completely different name from the stems – something which had slipped my very slippery mind.

So, here on-topic is some celtuce space.

First, for those who don’t know what celtuce is, let me say it is a variety of lettuce which looks nothing like a lettuce. It is very popular in southern mainland China and Taiwan. It is also known in English as stem lettuce, celery lettuce, asparagus lettuce, or Chinese lettuce. In Chinese it is 莴笋 wō sǔn or 莴苣 wō jù, although the latter can simply mean lettuce of any variety.

Lactuca sativa var. asparagina is 'celtuce' for the technically minded.

Those in the picture are about 40 cm (15.7 inches) long and have a maximum diameter of 5 cm (2 inches). The stems are usually peeled, sliced and used in various stir fries, although they can also be braised, roasted etc. The taste is somewhere between lettuce and celery, hence the name. The texture is more like the latter.

The leafing tops are, as I said, sold separately and under a completely different name. They are 油麦菜 yóu mài cài.

These taste similar to Romaine lettuce and can be eaten raw in salads. In Chinese cuisine,  they are usually briefly stir fried with garlic until they wilt and served as a green vegetable – sometimes with oyster sauce.

If you can find either the stems or leaves in your Asian market, I strongly recommend giving them a try.
    • By Duvel
      “… and so it begins!”

Welcome to “Tales from the Fragrant Harbour”!
      In the next couple of days I am hoping to take you to a little excursion to Hong Kong to explore the local food and food culture as well as maybe a little bit more about my personal culinary background. I hope I can give you a good impression of what life is like on this side of the globe and am looking very forward to answering questions, engaging in spirited discussions and just can share a bit of my everyday life with you. Before starting with the regular revealing shots of my fridge’s content and some more information on myself, I’d like to start this blog and a slightly different place.
      For today's night, I ‘d like to report back from Chiba city, close to Tokyo, Japan. It’s my last day of a three day business trip and it’s a special day here in Japan: “Doyou no ushi no hi”. The “midsummer day of the ox”, which is actually one of the earlier (successful) attempts of a clever marketing stunt.  As sales of the traditional winter dish “Unagi” (grilled eel with sweet soy sauce) plummeted in summer, a clever merchant took advantage of the folk tale that food items starting with the letter “U” (like ume = sour plum and uri = gourd) dispel the summer heat, so he introduced “Unagi” as a new dish best enjoyed on this day. It was successful, and even in the supermarkets the sell Unagi-Don and related foods. Of course, I could not resist to take advantage and requested tonight dinner featuring eel. Thnaks to our kind production plant colleagues, I had what I was craving …
      (of course the rest of the food was not half as bad)

Todays suggestion: Unagi (grilled eel) and the fitting Sake !

For starters: Seeweed (upper left), raw baby mackerel with ginger (upper right) and sea snails. I did not care for the algae, but the little fishes were very tasty.

Sahimi: Sea bream, Tuna and clam ...

Tempura: Shrimp, Okra, Cod and Mioga (young pickled ginger sprouts).

Shioyaki Ayu: salt-grilled river fish. I like this one a lot. I particularly enjoy the fixed shape mimicking the swimming motion. The best was the tail fin

Wagyu: "nuff said ...

Gourd. With a kind of jellied Oden stock. Nice !

Unagi with Sansho (mountain pepper)

So, so good. Rich and fat and sweet and smoky. I could eat a looooot of that ...

Chawan Mushi:steamed egg custard. A bit overcooked. My Japanese hosts very surprised when I told them that I find it to be cooked at to high temperatures (causing the custard to loose it's silkiness), but they agreed.

Part of the experience was of course the Sake. I enjoyed it a lot but whether this is the one to augment the taste of the Unagi I could not tell ...

More Unagi (hey it's only twice per year) ...

Miso soup with clams ...

Tiramisu.

Outside view of the restaurant. Very casual!
      On the way home I enjoyed a local IPA. Craft beer is a big thing in Japan at the moment (as probably anywhere else in the world), so at 29 oC in front of the train station I had this. Very fruity …

When I came back to the hotel, the turn down service had made my bed and placed a little Origami crane on my pillow. You just have to love this attention to detail.

• By liuzhou
      One of my local supermarkets recently installed a sesame seed pressing facility and is now producing sesame oil and sesame paste. Their equipment toasts and extracts the oil and the residue is turned into the paste. Of course, I bought some of each.

I have only used the oil so far. It tastes and smells more intensely than any I have bought before. The aroma also seems to last longer in a dish.

These are the white seed versions. They also do black seed oil and paste which I haven't bought yet.

Neither has any brand label - only a bar code on the back so that the check-out staff can deal with it.

I am sorely tempted to try this recipe from Carolyn Philips for celtuce with sesame oil, paste and seeds. I'll let you know how I get on with this or any other recipe. Suggestions welcome, as always.
    • By liuzhou
      I think you’ll see in a moment why I didn’t just post this on the Lunch! topic. It was exceptional. An epic and it has been an epic sorting through the 634 photographs I took in about three hours. If I counted correctly, there are only 111 here.

Like so many things, it came out of the blue. I was kind of aware that there was a Chinese holiday this week, but being self-semi-employed I am often a man of leisure and the holidays make little impact on my life. This one is in celebration of the Dragon Boat Festival (端午节 duān wǔ jié) and although it features nothing boat-like, it was festive and there is a dragon link.

It started with this invitation which appeared on my WeChat (Chinese social media) account.

Longtan (龙潭 lóng tán) means Dragon’s Pool and is more of a hamlet. It is about an hour’s drive north of Liuzhou city. I’d never heard of it and certainly never been there, but a friend of a friend had decided that a “foreign friend” would add just the right note to the planned event. I’ve seen many pictures of such “Long Table“ lunches and even attended one before – but this one was different and I was delighted to be invited.

So, I was picked up outside my city centre home at 9 am and the adventure began. We arrived at the village at 9:45 to be met by the friend in question. He led me to what appeared to be the head man’s home, outside which was a large courtyard with a few men sitting at a trestle table seemingly finishing a breakfast of hot, meaty rice porridge washed down with beer or rice wine. I was offered a bowl of the porridge, but declined the beer or rice wine in favour of a cup of tea. After downing that and making introductions etc, I was left to wander around on my own watching all the activity.

Rice Porridge

Here goes. I'm posting these mostly in the order they were taken, in order to give some sense of how the event progressed.

These two men were the undisputed kings of this venture, organising everyone, checking every detail, instructing less  experienced volunteers etc. It was obvious these men had been working since the early hours. and their breakfast was a break in their toil. There were piles of still steaming cooked pork belly in containers all over the courtyard.

Some of this had been the meat in the rice porridge, I learned.

This young lad had been set to chopping chicken. Not one chicken! Dozens.

Entrails, insides and fat were all carefully preserved.

In the meantime, the two masters continued boiling their lumps of pork belly. This they refer to as 五花肉 - literally "five flower" pork", the five flowers being layers of skin, fat and meat.

Another man was dealing with fish. Carp from the village pond. He scaled and cleaned them with his cleaver. Dozens of them. 

And all around, various preparations are being prepared.

Peeling Garlic

Gizzards and intestines.

More Pork . You can see the five layers here.

to be continued