• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cliff notes

Florida Jim

2003 Baroncini, Orvietto Classico Libra:

Acidic and thin, lacks charm; best used for cooking.

2002 Mestizaje, Bobal Young Vineyard:

Too much American oak distracts from rich, textured, and very interesting dark fruit flavors; although I doubt it will happen, should the oak ever integrate, this will be something.

1999 Diochon, Molin-à-Vent:

As with every other bottle I have had, this has depth, nuance, character and bright fruit – Bravo!

1999 F. Chidane, Montlouis Les Choisillas:

Clean, razor sharp Chenin with good depth, structure and concentration; racy lemon/apple flavors and smells with an overlay of flowers and balsam; endless finish. Damn good wine. Thanks Larry.

2000 Jadot, Moulin-à-Vent Chateau des Jacques:

Deeply aromatic, richly textured, powerfully flavored, expressive, character driven, and perfectly balanced; about as good as any Beaujolais can be and a fine example of a world class wine. Will last.

On the second day, this got huge; very powerful in the mouth showing youth and structure; day one times five. This is one of those very few wines that “youngs up” with a day in the decanter.

(Aside: I have tried this wine repeatedly from the 1998 vintage through 2002 and I have decided that, whenever I see it, I will buy a case [or more] immediately. There is a reason Jadot shows this wine after its grand cru Burgundies when one is tasting at the winery – reliably top shelf, every vintage. And built to last for many years.)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com