• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2003 Dönnhoff

carswell

The SAQ has just received a slew of 2003s from Dönnhoff. Does anyone here know how these normally excellent wines fared in this problematic vintage? Are there any must-buys in the following list? Comments and/or tasting notes on any of the wines are welcome, the sooner the better, as these will probably fly off the shelves.

Unless otherwise indicated, the bottles are 750 ml. Prices are in Canadian dollars (C$1 = US$0.85 these days) and include Quebec's 15% sales tax.

Thanks!

- Riesling Qba $21.20

- Oberhäuser Leistenberg riesling kabinett $27.15

- Oberhäuser Leistenberg riesling auslese Qmp $30.50

- Norheimer Dellchen riesling auslese Qmp $32.25

- Norheimer Kirschheck riesling spätlese Qmp 34.25

- Schlossböckelheimer Felsenberg riesling spätlese Qmp $38

- Schlossbockelheimer Kupfergrube riesling spätlese $42.75

- Oberhäuser Brücke riesling spätlese Qmp $45.75

- Niederhäuser Hermanns Höhle riesling spätlese $51

- Oberhäuser Brücke riesling auslese $46 (375 ml)

- Niederhäuser Hermanns Höhle riesling auslese $49 (375 ml)

I bought a few of the Oberhauser Leistenberg kabinett and the Hermannshohle spatlese, both are solid wines with more acidity than most of the 03 German wines I've had. Not to say they are great wines, but at the price, they aren't a bad choice.

Edit to add: I paid US$14 for the O-L kabinett and $35 for the hermannshohle spatlese. For the price the SAQ is charging, I'd probably pass on the kabinett.

Edited by melkor (log)

I've only had the 2003 QbA from Donnhoff. IMO, it was not up to the standard of other vintages, being more monolithic and just sort of generic. I've not had any of the pradikat wines, but I've read notes from others who have been disappointed (albeit because they've come to expect more from Donnhoff).

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero