• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snapshot

Florida Jim

1995 Camus-Bruchon, Savigny-Narbantons:

Restrained nose with slight volatility, mostly of red fruit and truffled earth tones; quiet but pure and ripe red fruit in the mouth with lovely earthy nuances, good balance and that sort of integration that is only borne of ten years in bottle; medium length, slightly tannic finish. Elegant wine with finesse; a fleeting smile, a well-turned calf, composed femininity – Audrey Hepburn style. Sigh . . .

1999 Alzinger, Riesling Smaragd Loibenberg:

Alpine meadow (wildflowers included) with unripe pineapple and river stones on the nose; amazing cut on the palate with similar flavors, good concentration and balance; very long, acidic finish. A wine with a spine. Not at peak but, served closer to room temp., this wine starts to sing. Better in five years; delicious now as accompaniment to pasta with winter squash, caramelized onions and feta.

2000 J.J. Cristoffel, Riesling Kabinett Ürziger Würzgarten:

Utterly sublime with the Thai curry-scallop dish we had for dinner. Lovely aromatics with quite a bit of mineral; the same on the palate where the weight and intensity are paired against the dish so precisely that one never out does the other and each are better for the match; semi-sweet finish that tempers the curry spice. Alone, it’s a nice wine; with this dish, it is the best wine in the world.

1995 Carneros Creek, Pinot Noir Signature Reserve, 25th Anniversary:

Very complex and soft nose with warm earth, truffle, black cherry and spice tones; bright and integrated on the palate with flavors that echo the nose, resolved structure and good balance; medium length finish. Enough cut to do well against grilled salmon and enough smoothness to stand alone. A very nice pinot and, at ten years of age, mellow and delicious.

(Wine is about many things; with me it is about the people. I’ll not forget the day in 1998, that I bought this bottle and the people that shared that week with me in wine country; thanks always to Russell and Victoria, Bree and 9-ball, Double J, Yoda and the girls, Tim and Lisa, Judson my brotha’, Paully, Jim and Diane, Greg and all those people who have sat shotgun on ‘the ride.’)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com