• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetarian Restaurants

dodge621

I have enjoyed Veggie Heaven  in Teaneck on Cedar Lane. They do a very good business. They have many dishes that contain soy and other vegetable type dishes that are in the texture of meat.    The Mongolian Beef (all vegetarian) was very good but I did not care for their "chicken and shrimp" dishes. Also found their soups very good.

Please inform of other good vegetarian restaurants.

What I hear from a couple of my vegan/vegetarian friends is that the Greenmarket Cafe in Ho-Ho-Kus is pretty good.  Then again, I also heard that they recently started serving chicken... probably in an attempt to attract some more customers!  I used to walk past this place on my way home from the HHK train station and it's frequently VERY empty.

The only time I've ever been there was with a cousin of mine who insisted we leave the second he found out there wasn't any meat sold there.  Ironically, at the subsequent restaurant he then proceeded to order a meatless pasta dish.  He called it "the principle of the thing"... needless to say, he's not the most open-minded eater.

Of course, the fact that I've never eaten at the vegetarian restaurant that I walked past every day for months says something about my food preferences as well.  I've been to Veggie Heaven and while I feel that overall it's acceptable (and even sometimes quite good), there are certain dishes that are just awful (i.e. sweet and sour "chicken").  I attribute this  mainly to the failure to effectively mimic the textures one would expect of the equivalent meat dishes.  I'm impressed more by dishes that were CONCEIVED as vegetable dishes rather than those that try to imitate meat.  That sort of sums up my feelings on vegetarianism in a nutshell.

Anyway, I'll ask around and see what other suggestions I can come by for vegetarian dining.

I agree their chicken dishes are horrible as are their shrimp.  It is really hit or miss.  If I had ordered the chicken my first time, I likely would have not gone back as it has the consistency of chewing gum.

Bennies in Englewood has a large selection of vegetarian preparations to choose from and very healthy to boot as he uses no butter, creams, and very little oil. But, everything is very well spiced and seasoned and is great for eating there or as takeout.

Hank

Bennies can easily seat 30 people quite comfortably, and yes, for a Friday or Saturday evening I would make a reservation as they tend to be quite busy. They are BYOB and you will make Bennie quite happy by sending him a glass. He loves wine, especially Burgundies. No fool, he.

Hank

Park and Orchard in Rutherfordhas many vegetarian offerings on the menu, and in fact used to be vegetarian-- but no longer is. They also have an award winning wine list and an incredible cellar.

We have gone to the Park and Orchard quite often but certainly not for the food which at times has been awful. BUT, their wine list is another story. They have a great selection of Burgundies from excellent years as well as some very hard to find Brodeaux. Best of all their prices are incredible. Many times we have paid less than retail for some real gems.

Hank

P&O is a gem for wines. I've been tempted to order 4-5 bottles, and not open them, just take take them out in my doggie bag / duffle bag

Thread police may hunt me down and send me to the wine thread.....

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

This thread tempted me to get take-out at Wazam in West Caldwell last night. It's Kashmiri.

Palaak Chaman ( low-fat cheese, spicy spinach, chick peas, basmati) $10

Wangan Subzee (Eggplant, tamarind, dal) $10

served it with a grilled piece of yellow fin tuna and fresh spinach. Enough Kashmiri for two more meals...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rail Paul--I keep passing by that restaurant and would like to try it sometime. Did you like the food? Was everything cooked to order?

Yes. and Yes.  I was the only customer in the ten minutes or so I waited for them to prepare and finish the chow.

The joint is set up with tables for 20-25 people, we have eaten there, but this was takeout. They do a land office business on nights when West Caldwell has its music at the gazebo event.

I have the menu, I'll open a thread with it.

rancho gordo

• 6 months later...

[My wife enjoys it. She always brings her vegetarian friends when they come to visit.]

I went to Secret of Suzanne once for lunch. It was ok. Not a place I would go to unless I lived near by. Veggie Heaven is much better to me.