• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Legal Sea Foods

Chris Amirault

I find Legal Seafoods to be a shadow of its former self. I had been to the original in Boston many years ago when it was the only one. We waited for 90 minutes to get in, and it was well worth it! Great, is the operative word.

Now it is a very ordinary chain. It is little more than a glorified diner with a lot of seafood. Not particularly comfortable nor attractive, they charge unbelievably high prices! The average entree is in the mid $20s!! (At least in Paramus NJ it is). A real disappointment, this is only a hair better than Red Lobster.

There are much better choices around for creative seafood. Particularly in the New England coastal environs.

Stay away from Legal, IMHO.

There are much better choices around for creative seafood.  Particularly in the New England coastal environs.

menton1 (and others), where would you send someone reading this thread looking for good seafood in greater Boston? I'd say moderately expensive, except that fisherman's platter I had was over $20.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I find Legal Seafoods to be a shadow of its former self.  I had been to the original in Boston many years ago when it was the only one.  We waited for 90 minutes to get in, and it was well worth it!  Great, is the operative word. 

Now it is a very ordinary chain.  It is little more than a glorified diner with a lot of seafood.  Not particularly comfortable nor attractive, they charge unbelievably high prices!  The average entree is in the mid $20s!!  (At least in Paramus  NJ it is).  A real disappointment, this is only a hair better than Red Lobster. 

There are much better choices around for creative seafood.  Particularly in the New England coastal environs.

Stay away from Legal, IMHO.

I have to disagree with that -- I find the Paramus Legal to be making some of the best seafood locally -- especially their fried clams and oysters and crab cakes -- and their prices are extremely reasonable. I also like the fact that they have lots of appropriately paired wines by the glass and half bottles. Every experience we've had at Legal in the last year or so has been pleasant and the food surprisingly good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

menton1 (and others), where would you send someone reading this thread looking for good seafood in greater Boston? I'd say moderately expensive, except that fisherman's platter I had was over $20.

Egullet has an excellent search feature-- just click "search" from the top line of the Egullet page. Mine turned up this thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...5082&hl=seafood

Some good seafood choices here, saeems the best area for t hese is the "North End"

Also, Holly Moore, someone whose opinions I highly respect, has this terrific thread about fried clams in New England:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...5669&hl=seafood

Now that you mention it, Jason, the wine list at Legal was unbelievably good.

I beleive their chief wine buyer and beverage director recieved some accolades and awards, from Wine Spectator, I think.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

i find LS a reasonable choice for simply prepared seafood (if you order correctly. very carefully) and a decent wine selection. however, no award or accolade from the Wine Spectator, of all places, makes it inexpensive (it's not, and can be quite pricey) or makes it a good choice in general. speaking to the paramus, NJ location, there are more interesting options in NYC.

i've only eaten at 2 locations, as far as i can remember, so i can't speak to differences in the locations. but apparently there's an opinion that they might differ somewhat, at least in atmosphere. i certainly value opinions.

as for the greater Boston area, i'm afraid i haven't been there in a while, but i'm looking forward to suggestions for good seafood, as i'll be back in the spring!

One solid place would be East Coast Grill in Cambridge. No reservations which can be irritating. I usually go for whatever they have on their specials board. Had an incredible striped bass this past summer.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

speaking to the paramus, NJ location, there are more interesting options in NYC.

And where would you suggest getting fried clams of equivalent or superior quality in NYC?

I love the Eastcoast grill too.

Woodman's is overrated and dumpy IMHO

Legal is the Freshest you could ask for. They have their own microbiologist and boats here in Boston.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

And where would you suggest getting fried clams of equivalent or superior quality in NYC?

This link probably got lost on the previous page of this topic-- here are about 25 places with great fried clams, in New England:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...5669&hl=seafood

As far as New York City, if it is OK to discuss it here in New England, I can think of a couple right away:

Black Pearl, in the far lower East Side;

BLT Fish, in the Flatiron area.

If a chain resto has a "best" in any category, heaven help us. But that's my humble opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
If a chain resto has a "best" in any category, heaven help us.  But that's my humble opinion.

I'm no apologist for Legal Seafoods, though have always enjoyed the place well enough. Mostly eaten in Natick (while there on business, staying at the similarly chain-worthy Crowne Plaza all but next door). But have also been to Palisades Center, a couple in metro-DC (gotta love a Legal and National Airport), and one or two others in metro-Boston over the years.

Getting to the point... could one not call Per Se a chain restaurant? Okay, we'll say no to that. How about this one - Is Vong a chain?

The ability to master (at the very least) one dish isn't inherently diminished just because one becomes successful enough to expand, is it?

• 4 weeks later...
I think there is a bit of variation from location to location.

(understandable with a chain).

My favorites are those in Boston--Chestnut Hill, Copley Sq etc.

It seems the overall cooking is better at these spots than at the more far flung outposts.

I eat quite a bit at the Palisades Mall location (horrible mall atmosphere).

Basically I stick with the simple stuff-the raw clams and oysters are across the board-excellent and very fresh-the chowder is very good (probably based on a mix etc). Lobster Roll is good and the wine selection is fine.

I like to eat at the bar.

I second the motion on Chestnut Hill Legal's...absolutely and consistently excellent. Then you go to Framingham and ask "how can this be the same chain?"

One of the few restaurants to offer a truly gluten-free menu for family members with Celiac disease...and no compromise on quality and flavor.

• 2 months later...
I think there is a bit of variation from location to location.

(understandable with a chain).

My favorites are those in Boston--Chestnut Hill, Copley Sq etc.

It seems the overall cooking is better at these spots than at the more far flung outposts.

This is absolutely true. The clam chowder I had in Boston was far superior to the version I had in Millburn, NJ. The NJ version was still very good, but I was blown away by the Boston version.

The chowder I had in Boston was as good a version as any I've ever had!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

To me, the Chestnut Hill one is the best! The others are poor cousins.

Kendall Square is my second, the Harvard Square One I have only tried twice, I need several visits before I rate.

Edited by cigalechanta (log)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

• 2 months later...

We had to take a friend to Logan last night--because of all the rain her flight was delayed, and we had a leisurely 2 and a half hour meal at Legal Seafood in Terminal C. We shared fried calamari Rhode Island style, fried belly clams, and seared tuna sashimi for apps, and had soft shell crabs and the crab cake combo with grilled shrimp and scallops for mains. Everything was very fresh--the tuna was absolutely pristine. For airport food, the meal was shockingly good. Service was a little haphazard--had to ask for bread, and our Boston Cream Pie never came--they ran out and the waitress was the last to know. Still, considering the staff has to trip over suitcases to serve, the experience was top notch.

We had to take a friend to Logan last night--because of all the rain her flight was delayed, and we had a leisurely 2 and a half hour meal at Legal Seafood in Terminal C.  We shared fried calamari Rhode Island style, fried belly clams, and seared tuna sashimi for apps, and had soft shell crabs and the crab cake combo with grilled shrimp and scallops for mains.  Everything was very fresh--the tuna was absolutely pristine.  For airport food, the meal was shockingly good.  Service was a little haphazard--had to ask for bread, and our Boston Cream Pie never came--they ran out and the waitress was the last to know.  Still, considering the staff has to trip over suitcases to serve, the experience was top notch.

Funny. My wife and I were in the same Legal Seafoods at Logan that same day. I had a fantastic Maine crab roll (generous portions of tasty lump crab meat) and, of course, a cup of clam chowder. My wife had a salad and steamed clams. For us, the service was professional and efficient. It doesn't get much better than this at an airport.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

A recent trip to Boston uncovered the Barking Crab, a wonderful fun place on the waterfront just across from the "big dig". If you are at the airport, the place is about 8 minutes away off the Airport Highway.

This place absolutely blows away Legal, IMHO. Wonderful, fresh seafood, steamers, clams, oysters, and a blackboard of about 10-12 varieties of what's fresh that day. This is an all paper plate and plastic cup establishment, but you can dig in to that top quality seafood with your hands, it's perfectly acceptable!

Barking Crab Web Site

Oh good lord. Barking Crab? You could have gone right across the street to Daily Catch and had much better food in a far less touristy atmosphere.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89209

• 1 month later...

We always eat at Legal Seafood when we fly out of Logan. The food, sevice, and prices are good; particularly considering airport food. The last few times Ive had chowder and a lobster roll. Both excellent. A good excuse to get to the airport early, check in, and have a nice meal.

• 2 weeks later...
Couldn't find a Legal Seafoods thread around here, and after I read this post by The Hersch, I thought it was high time to do so:

[ But lately they have been mediocre to (here at the Warwick RI venue) bad; I wouldn't send my most mudmouthed enemy to eat there.

I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with Chris. Any self respecting New England seafood lover would not go there even in last resort. I would go to the Rocky Point Chowder House (which is a last resort in its self) before I'd go to Legal. They had a time, but it is long past. with so many good places to be had, save your money.

The clam will soon fade from its glory,

best to eat them while they bloom.

Edited by m_y_a (log)

• 11 months later...
We always eat at Legal Seafood when we fly out of Logan. The food, sevice, and prices are good; particularly considering airport food. The last few times Ive had chowder and a lobster roll.  Both excellent. A good excuse to get to the airport early, check in, and have a nice meal.

I’ve been a great lover of Legal Seafood, especially in its earliest downtown and Brookline locations. Even in the Pru building I found it good. And a couple a years ago a friend/colleague and I were stuck between planes at Logan and made do very nicely indeed with the one in Terminal B. Finally, just a couple of months ago, Colette and I ate at the one in Terminal C and were pleased.

But Sunday, something was off. While my raw-bar assortment was fresh and clearly just shucked, the oysters were pretty tiny and my Portuguese stew/soup had two big slices of what can only be described as chorizo-Spam. Colette’s chowdah was too greasy for my taste though she was delighted with her wood fire-grilled scallops. Unfortunately, our Muscadet Sur Lie, which admittedly, under the best of circumstances, ranges from thin to tasty, was on the very very very thin side. The bill = $73.40 without tip.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Our favorite the the legal at Chestnut hill, love sitting at the bar. Always consistant. We also like the Harvard Square one where you can dine outside.

Legal was favorite of R.W Apple Jr who wrote fondly of it in his book, "Apple's America."

Our favorite the the legal at Chestnut hill, love sitting at the bar. Always consistant. We also like the Harvard Square one where you can dine outside.

Legal was  favorite of R.W Apple Jr who wrote fondly of it in his book, "Apple's America."

Me too, for both the Chestnut Hill location and Johnnie, who is responsible for introducing me to the virtues of l'Ami Louis, Michel Guerard and jambon sur l'os with a touch of beaujolais at midnight. A great loss. Why haven't we done a tribute to him on eG?; no one except perhaps Julia Childs and James Beard did more to promote fine food in the media in those days.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris