• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2003 Crios de Susanna Balbo Torrontes

Brad Ballinger

2003 Domino del Plata “Crios de Susanna Balbo” Torrontes, Cafayete. I has this wine on one previous occasion – a gathering of Twin Cities wine geeks at a local restaurant for South American wines. That particular evening, this was the first wine I poured. It was also the best, the evening going quickly downhill. I recently picked up some of these on sale locally, making it the first South American wine I’ve purchased that wasn’t used solely as a “cooking wine.” So there’s something to be said for trying wines that one wouldn’t otherwise get an opportunity to try.

The aroma of wine is heavy on the floral side with some underlying spice, stone fruits, lemon zest, and a little bit of “rain water” minerality. In the mouth it is bright and crisp, a tiny bit spicy, and features a bitter/astringent quality that could be called “peach pit,” “lemon pith,” or even “flower petal.” But it’s a component that some will find interesting and one that contributes to the complexity of the wine. Others will be turned off by it. Neither camp is “right,” but it is a component that will likely divide drinkers. I find it a bit like albarino in that regard. I've not had any other wines made from the torrontes grape, so I don't know if this is a characteristic typical of the varietal wines or not. Nice length to the finish. The wine was a very nice complement to crab cakes with mango salsa.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

2003 Domino del Plata “Crios de Susanna Balbo” Torrontes, Cafayete.  I has this wine on one previous occasion – a gathering of Twin Cities wine geeks at a local restaurant for South American wines. ... In the mouth it is bright and crisp, a tiny bit spicy, and features a bitter/astringent quality that could be called “peach pit,” “lemon pith,” or even “flower petal.” 

the slightly bitter note (we got "lemon zest" from a couple folks) does add a curious complexity. i like it, but only for a glass or two, mostly because it gets to be a bit much given the heavy floral characteristics that dominate. totally agree about the similarity to albarino.

one thing i'm curious about: any idea why you were served an '03? not that torrontes can't age, but Balbo is currently on the '05 vintage of torrontes. Southern Hemisphere, and all that. (my tasting note on the '05 here.)

one thing i'm curious about: any idea why you were served an '03?  not that torrontes can't age, but Balbo is currently on the '05 vintage of torrontes. Southern Hemisphere, and all that.

I picked up a couple of bottles at a "bin end" sale from a local retailer. My first experience with the 03 (South American wines night) was about a year ago. It was a gathering where people brought wines, so I wasn't "served" anything other than food. Tasting notes from that event a year ago are here.

I hadn't seen the wine in any shop since (not that I was really on a mission). I had seen the Crios Malbec, but not the Torrontes (I think a rose is also produced).

Regarding ageability of Torrontes wines, I think there was a small grower/producer featured in Mondovino who had some aged Torrontes. I can't recall what was said about it, if anything.

Edited by Brad Ballinger (log)

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I hadn't seen the wine in any shop since (not that I was really on a mission).  I had seen the Crios Malbec, but not the Torrontes (I think a rose is also produced).

Regarding ageability of Torrontes wines, I think there was a small grower/producer featured in Mondovino who had some aged Torrontes.  I can't recall what was said about it, if anything.

yep, a malbec rose -- not bad, though too much RS for me. i think you're right about Mondovino, but haven't seen it since February.

• 2 weeks later...

Brad, I wonder if you have seen the latest ratings that some South American Wines have received? Are you familiar with Achaval Ferrer?

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar

Brad, I wonder if you have seen the latest ratings that some South American Wines have received?  Are you familiar with Achaval Ferrer?

Two replies, Gaucho.

1. I don't really pay attention to ratings. If I'm aware of a rating given to a wine, it's probably because someone told me at the time I was drinking it.

2. Sorry, I'm not familiar with Achaval Ferrer.