• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1995 Terraces Zinfandel

Brad Ballinger

1995 Terraces Zinfandel, Napa Valley. And another 1995 Zinfandel from the cellar bites the dust, leaving three (all from Ridge). But this one went out with a beautiful swan song. I've always enjoyed the Zinfandels from Terraces going back to the 1991 vintage. This wine is one that has handled ten years of aging with hardly a wrinkle. The nose shows bright zinberry fruit and a bit of VA (which I can tolerate more in zinfandel for some reason than in other varietal wines). There is also black pepper, briar-like character, and some spicy oak. The attack on the palate is pleasant, and the wine sort of steps in the door rather than thrusting the door open with Kramer-like flair. In the mouth is shows raspberry, loganberry, pepper, spice, and a bit of smoke. Acidity is high, and tannins are softened, but not laying down. I expected the wine to finish with a bit of a burn, but that wasn't the case. I mainly got fruit on the finish, and it lasted for about 30 seconds. A good grilled flank steak wine.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

and the wine sort of steps in the door rather than thrusting the door open with Kramer-like flair.

:laugh:

Nice turn of phrase, my wine loving friend! And I actually believe I know exactly what you mean by that. :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol