• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Restaurants in the Hamptons

BryanZ

Need a quick compilation of the best restaurants in the Hamptons. Everything from quick lunch places to restaurants that offer complete tasting menus. I'm staying in Montauk so recommendations in East Hampton or near Montauk are preferred.

I am aware that the dining scene in the Hamptons in generally lacking but please enlighten me. Price isn't an issue, as I'd much rather pay more than drive to middle of Long Island from Montauk.

I love to sit outside on the water at Gosmans. The food is consistently good and it is great watching the action on the water. In East Hampton the Palm is great as is Nick and Tonys and Della Femina.

You won't find much in Montauk. Pretty depressing food scene overall. We prefer to grill rather than overpay for so-so food and typically salty service. U never know who is cooking year to year so if you find anything decent, please report back.

Topside at Gosmans has beautiful views of the fleet coming in and out of the lakes. That said, it is also a great place for a Bloody Mary in the late afternoon. Personally, I would suggest steering clear of Gosman's touristy, overpriced, mediocre food. Their market is pricey but quite good by Montauk standards. Also, the takeout area at Gosmans used to have a grilled lobster tail for $18 that was good.

Clam and Chowder House (near Star Island): Consistently the best restaurant in Montauk with decent cooked food, very fresh sushi (w/lousy rice) and a marina style vibe. Expect to wait.

The Dock (just south of Gosmans): The place is dark so save it for a rainy/overcast day. Way above average bar food. Im a fan of their tuna melts

which are served with a 6 oz slab of tuna, melted american cheese and a toasted english muffin. Good nachos, fresh cut fries, burgers, etc.

Rick's Crabby Cowboy (across from airport on E Lake, next to Gone Fishing): This place works if you are a big family. I crave their pulled Pork and Fried Onion Loaf once a year and never go back.

Duryea's (go to train station lot and take road just past Rough Riders entrance):

One of last lobster shacks out east. Beautiful setting, shit food. Lobsters are acceptable, byob. Expect to wait an hour, get a salad and a lobster, bring lots of wine, go around 7 and catch sunset, bring a sweatshirt.

Dave's Grill: $30+ entrees. Best food in Montauk but a place you would not be running to in nyc. Famous for his boullabaise and in-person ressie policy.

ENE and Harvest: Same owners, family style pan-asian and italian respectively.

Fun, family style vibes with ENE being the slicker of the 2. Dont go with less than 4 people. Food is probably on a similar level to Carmines and Ruby Foos and the prices add up quickly.

Navy Road (tucked in on Industrial Rd): Great spot for sunset. No idea who is cooking but could be worth a try.

For breakfast: The deli down at the 4 points (4-way stop) has a nice sit down annex (also make good lunch sandwiches) run by a spanish couple, the Bake Shoppe in town has decent crumb cakes and makes a nice greasy egg sandwich. Right next to the beer distributor and video store (just south of 27 in town) is a good sit down option as well...cant remember the name but it gets packed. Avoid the Pancake House and the other lousy breakfast joint across the street on 27.

For lunch: Herb's deli/butcher in town makes a decent cold cut sandwich and has good (albeit salty) fried chicken. Joanies is the defacto quasi-healthy, overpriced, service-sucks option, Health Food store in town is the only true healthy option and makes an acceptable salad. St Peter's Catch (just north of town, behind White's) will fry u up fresh calamari, Ditch Witch trailer at Ditch Plains can be tasty, Continental is spanish run and is there to feed the large latin workforce...food is ok but good value and perfect pre-naptime.

In Amagansett, you may want to check out the Fish Farm for lunch (which is a visual trip) and the spanish place partially owned by Nick and Tonys...which is tasty (la fondita?).

"Your girlfriend is a vegetarian, tell her she should eat rabbit...they're vegetarians too" Ali

I would strongly second eatpie's recommendation of La Fondita. I was there recently with slkinsy, bergerka, and my wife, and we all agreed that the tacos were superb (5 for $10). As a bonus, the setting is glorious. La Fondita is centered within a beautiful and expansive plant and tree nursery. After you get your tacos, take them outside and sit at one of several picnic tables on the pond, surrounded by a feast for the eyes. The Aquas Fresca are also excellent. Otherwise, bring a few beers.

Edited by JosephB (log)

• 9 months later...

What has anyone heard about 'the laundry' out in the Hamptons, not Keller...I think it has moved to a new location. Whats the best plce for breakfast and more inportantly nice spicy Bloody's?

M

NYC

"Get mad at them eggs!"

in Cool Hand Luke

i used to live in east hampton, then westhampton. In westhampton beach you can find Starr Bogg's, he is a friend of my dads and a great chef. In hampton bays theres a place called Indian Cove which my dad used to own, last time i was by there it looked like it was doing well, has a great deck. Donno how great the meal would be though, worth a shot at least. Ill ask my dad and get back on this one.

B

• 3 weeks later...

Breadzilla, at the traffic light in Wainscott, is THE BEST bakery/light lunch place in the Hamptons. An owner with a social conscience who stays true to his culinary ethics and does not 'bow down' to the weekenders. (it's behind the bagel place)

What has anyone heard about 'the laundry' out in the Hamptons, not Keller...I think it has moved to a new location.  Whats the best plce for breakfast and more inportantly nice spicy Bloody's?

The Laundry moved to East Hampton/Amag. where the farmhouse used to be on Montauk Hghy. Assume the menu hasn't changed - decent food, standard menu - roast chicken, salmon, steak, blah blah...

For a decent bloody with breakfast try Bobby Van's in Bridgehampton

"Breadzilla, at the traffic light in Wainscott, is THE BEST bakery/light lunch place in the Hamptons. An owner with a social conscience who stays true to his culinary ethics and does not 'bow down' to the weekenders. (it's behind the bagel place)"

Breadzilla is owned by a she, not a he (Nancy). The he you are probably referring to is her ex-husband Brad who also works there and is sort of in charge of the lunch/sandwiches (I had a chicken Florentine sandwich for lunch yesterday-very good, and the baked eggplant parm. for dinner)

• 1 month later...

I have been a private chef in Southampton for the past few years. For me, a Dosa @ The Hampton Chutney Company was a weekly ritual in Amagansett. (it was worth the 45 minute drive) They are expanding their restaurant base and have a couple in NYC now.

Montauk is tough for high end dining. I'd recommend Della Femina in East Hampton above the rest. Alison Restaurant in Bridgehampton is great as well. Alisons has an El Buli trained Chef de Cuisine(at least he was there last I checked)...he echos a few of Ferran Adrias ideas...if you like that sort of thing.

Alisons has an El Buli trained Chef de Cuisine(at least he was there last I checked)...he echos a few of Ferran Adrias ideas...if you like that sort of thing.

Hahahahaha. This makes me laugh. Indeed, I am into that sort of thing. The menu doesn't look bad, but I don't see El Bulli mentioned in the chef's background. I'll check it out.

Jeff Harter was the guy I was thinking about. I don't think he's there anymore. Although he is mentioned on their web site They really need to update their web site(Alison Rstaurant) because chef they have listed there quit last year. Also, Almond as well as Almondito are good.

I've been to Almond. It was solid, simple, satisfying food. Unfortunately that's about the best I can say about Hampton's restaurants. At least at Almond they're not charging $45 dollars for a plate of roasted fish.

Instead of going out for dinner, I've been cooking on my induction hob I brought along. Technically not allowed, but I've thrown together some pretty good meals cooking in my hotel room's bathroom and wet bar.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

I've been to Almond.  It was solid, simple, satisfying food.  Unfortunately that's about the best I can say about Hampton's restaurants.  At least at Almond they're not charging $45 dollars for a plate of roasted fish.

Instead of going out for dinner, I've been cooking on my induction hob I brought along.  Technically not allowed, but I've thrown together some pretty good meals cooking in my hotel room's bathroom and wet bar.

Your hotel meal will probably be the best thing you eat for dinner then. Nothing new or exciting out here this year - more of the same old mediocre fare at ridiculous prices. Almond is one of the few places my wife and I frequent mainly for the reasons you mentioned (decent food, great staff and not over the top prices).

For your next years trip: Nick/Tony's is trying to get town approval for a BBQ restaurant in the space where Allison used to be in Sagaponack on the highway. There are some issues with the town, but hopefully that will be ironed out soon.

Just a quick little report. I know it's late in the season, but ths information is bound to be useful next year, too.

Lobster Roll aka Lunch is doing its same old thing. Kind of run down but nearly always crowded. I've enjoyed their lobster roll and slaw for the past couple years now.

Dosas at the Hampton Chutney Co. were like a revelation. It's quite clear this isn't really traditional Indian cuisine, but the two I sampled were incredibly tasty. The place isn't exactly cheap but you can do A LOT worse for the same price point nearly everywhere else in the area.

The East Hampton Citarella remains perpetually crowded and over-priced. The quality, however, is admirable. I was upset to find that they won't cut many items from the meat and fish case to order and only sell in large "pieces." You're better off shopping at the Walbaum's or IGA (over in Amagansett) for staples.

Not sure where this is...Quague, I think...but I heard that Stone creek Inn is rather nice.

It's in E.Quogue and it was (hands down) the best meal I've ever had in the Hamptons. I can't remember what we had (it was a couple yrs ago) but I remember strong attn to local/organic ingreds and very fresh fish. I think it's on par w/many upscale Americans in the city.

It's owned by a very nice couple. He, Christian Mir (the chef), is truly talented.

http://www.stonecreekinn.com/pages/about.html

That wasn't chicken

If you are near Wainscott at lunchtime go to Breadzilla (just in back on the Seafood Shop and bagel stroe) - awesome sandwiches - you will thank me. Long waits though - best bet is to view their ever changing daily menu on line (www.breadzilla.com) and call in your order.

And if you happen to be in Sag Harbor, go to the cheese shop, Cavinola's, on 114, next to the beverage shop. Best cheese selection outside of NYC (Citarella's selection is very mediocre) - very helpful staff will let you try everything.

On the topic of cheese - Art Ludlow makes great cheese in Bridgehampton. His Mecox brand is sold around locally and you can buy it at his farmstand on Mecox Road - they also have great produce- all grown right there (as opposed to the highway stands which sell mangoes and other mostly non-local items)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I ate at the 1770 House a couple years ago, and I just underwhelmed. To me it's everything I don't like about the Hamptons. The food was fine but so pedestrian, just generic "fine-dining food." Portions too big, protein, starch, veg, you get my drift.

Interesting. I obviously don't have any Hamptons baggage (it was our first visit and I knew and know nothing of the "scene") but I was impressed by the ingredients and the standard of cooking. Alright, it was fairly generic fine dining in some ways, but that's become true of so many restaurants I almost can't criticise it on that basis.

Admittedly, we were *very* well-treated at the restaurant by our Irish waiter, and by the captain who seemed to very much enjoy our choice of wine, so maybe it was as much the experience as the food. Also, we were seated outside amongst the fireflies, which is a huge novelty for us.

Still, I was impressed overall, and it certainly didn't suffer from big portion syndrome (something I find extremely off-putting). In any case, it's probably an academic discussion as regards your plans for this year!

• 10 months later...