• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh edamame in Toronto

smallworld

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen fresh edamame (green soybeans) in the Toronto area.

My father loves edamame and the ones I smuggled on the plane home from Japan only made him want more. Fresh ones are so much better than frozen, and considering the amount of soybeans grown in this country you'd think some of them would make their way to markets occasionally.

I'm staying in Brampton but will be visiting Toronto a few times and would happily travel a bit further afield.

Thanks!

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

I've never seen fresh edamame for sale in Toronto, but someone must sell it, because I've had it in Japanese restaurants in Toronto. If you find yourself in a restaurant serving fresh edamame, it might be worth your while to ask them where they get it from.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I don't know if any of these places are still open, but my friend used to buy most of her groceries at Heisei Mart in Markham, and sometimes at Sandown Market in Etobicoke. Heisei Mart, in particular, was popular with the ex-pat Honda workers crowd. I've also read about Sanko on Queen St. West.

From time to time Costco has a sushi kiosk (they call it a travelling road show) with a rather mundane selection that somehow finds its niche. But they also have small containers of edamame beans beside the trays, about $5. for 8 oz.

• 4 weeks later...

A stand at the city hall farmers market had them today (Aug17). They are located on the eastern flank of the square at city hall, just east of the fountain (skating rink in winter). Sorry, forgot to get their name.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

• 4 weeks later...

there is a little fruit shop on younge, just north of eglinton called main wen that is selling them right now for $2.50 a pkg {styrofoam tray, probably about 1/2 lb}. it is right next to the cupcake shoppe and cfood restaurant on the east side, across from the futureshop.

hope this helps.