• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2002 Spadina Nero d'Avola

Brad Ballinger

QPR = Quality to Price Ratio

2002 Spadina Nero d'Avola, Sicilia IGT. For those who like what zinfandel wines used to be before they became port-like, this is a wine to consider giving a try. Medium to dark garnet color. Delicate attractive nose of just-harvested red berry fruits, light herb, light spice, light floral, a bit of earth. In the mouth, there is bright berry fruit that turns spicy toward the finish. The wine has been lightly oaked for structure and softness, and I'm pleased to say the oak remains in the background. Tannins are a bit dusty, but the brightness and sweetness of the fruit balance the wine out nicely. Again, spicy on the finish with a slight astringency. The wine is not incredibly complex, but it is a forward, balanced wine that provides enjoyment now, particularly with whatever is on the grill. It stood up well to grilled flank steak. You should be able to find it for between $10 and $15. I purchased a case of this to be my summer grilling "house wine."

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I really like Nero d'Avola. There's a local Italian restaurant that specializes in Sicilian cuisine and they have several wines from Sicily on their list. I usually choose the Nero, but I can't remember offhand which producer. I'm making a note to look for this one.

I really like Nero d'Avola. There's a local Italian restaurant that specializes in Sicilian cuisine and they have several wines from Sicily on their list. I usually choose the Nero, but I can't remember offhand which producer.  I'm making a note to look for this one.

FYI, Spadina also makes a Nero d'Avola wine labeled "Una Rosa." It will command a higher prices, come across as fuller-bodied, and may have more time in oak. I've not tasted that wine, so I can't offer much beyond that. But I wanted you to know that Spadina produces two versions of Nero d'Avola.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero