• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Laico's Restaurant

thereuare

Laico's Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge 67 Terhune Ave Jersey City,NJ (201) 434-4115

Has anybody been here or know anything about it?

I've never been, but heard from an unknown source that it was excellent (unknown that i didn't know the person, but it was somebody i met at a "destination" pizza restaurant, so he's at least gotta know food a little bit)

The man basically said that it rivals some of the best italian in NYC, at a fraction of the price (not that the prices here are cheap).  Apparently they have 2 locations, but the one above is the better of the two.

Any comments to reinforce or disprove the above recommendation would be appreciated.

I figured i'd ask Glenn in particular since he seems to know the area and has claimed it a "food wasteland."

OK, couldn't wait for a reply (i waited a whole 3 hours!!) so i tried this place myself tonite, figuring i could deal with the short drive and a short wait with it being a holiday weekend (i heard they get crowded early, and don't take reservations).

We first walked in and were thrown back in time, this is a real "locals" place, where local describes anybody in a 20 mile radius..  We stood in the doorway trying to figure out if we were supposed to wait to be seated OR if there was somebody to give our name to.  I approached an employee to ask and all she said was, "Bartender, bartender."  I stood at the bar for too long a period before i was acknowledge by the bartender, but we finally gave our name, ordered a couple of drinks, and then were seated in about 5 minutes.

We started with a house salad with house dressing which is included with all entrees and served family style, along with a basket of 2 types of bread; one of which is their version of garlic bread which isn't really garlic bread as i'm used to it, however, both were VERY good.

We then had an order of baked clams which were EXCELLENT. You could tell they were freshly made from quality ingredients.

Entrees were shrimp and lobster with marina sauce over fettucini and a shrimp fra diablo over linguini.  The shrimp fra diablo had some of the biggest shrimp i've ever seen!  Both were very good, but the sauce could have been a little thicker.

We were too stuffed to try dessert, but overall this was a very good meal and an excellent value for the money.  The above food ran about $50 with tip (+$10 for the drinks).

Few other thoughts... the place is in a residential area  in a converted house.  As a result, the restaurant was not designed as such, and the space is somewhat 'obtuse'.  Service (other than the bartender) was above average and accomodating.

The last time I was at Laico's was Feb. '99. This is what I wrote about it then.

Laico's has been open for over 25 years on a residential side street in Jersey City. Every time I dined here the bar was packed with people who were willing to wait (no reservations are accepted) an undetermined amount of time for a table. Some of the locals told us that they dine here a few times a week because of the tasty Southern Italian food, large portions and reasonable prices. This is definetley a place where the diner gets very good value for the price of the food.

We found cloth napkins, clothless tables and a friendly albeit busy waitstaff at this unpretentious restaurtant. Service was adequate and the specials were written with their prices on menu inserts. Why can't every restaurant do this? The wine list had a good selection of value priced wines from California, Washington State and Italy. Don't eat too much of the homemade garlic bread, Italian bread, butter and olive oil or you will be full after your appetizer.

APPETIZERS:  Initially I thought that the kitchen forgot to split the hearty cavatelli with escarole, white beans, shrimp and tomatoes because the portion was so immense. My bowl was swimming with shrimp and resonating with flavors from the tasty creamy white beans and vegetables; a delicious appetizer which would be a prodigious entree. If you wish to sample many of the appetizers try the hot antipasto for two  which was big enough for four. It contained stuffed clams, mussels, eggplant rollantini, stuffed red pepper, grilled shrimp and stuffed mushrooms. Although I loved the fried calamari, the grilled calamari and shrimp expertly cooked and quite flavorful was my favorite. Some of the typical Italian choices on the menu were zuppa di clams, baked clams and mussels posilipo. A very good salad served family style containing romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and red onions in a light lemony vinaigrette came with dinner.

ENTREES:  I love chicken on the bone and Laico's prepares it two ways. Chicken shoemaker served with mushrooms, garlic and a brown sauce or the country style chicken with sausage, red pepper and mushrooms were unbeatable and delicious reheated the next night. If you are in the mood for meat try the sirloin steak, filet mignon or rack of lamb. If available as a special, don't miss the colossol french boned veal chop  stuffed with sweet sausage buoyed by a rich mushroom wine reduction sauce. Veal was offered in many different guises (parmigiana, marsala, piccata, saltimbocco, sorrentino and rollatine). My veal scallopine franchese contained three fork tender scallops in a lively lemon sauce which I wouldn't hesitate to order again. Specials were tempting with monkfish oreganata, poached salmon with celery, onions, tomatoes, olives and clams and pan seared swordfish over orzo with fresh vegetables being available. Scrumptious fresh al dente, carrots, broccoli, yellow and green squash and roasted potatoes with herbs accompanied the entrees.

DESSERTS:  I never get tired of tiramisu and although not made in house, the rendition here with creamy etheral mascarpone cheese (no calories) is not to be missed. Carrot cake, chocolate mousse cake and tartuffo were also available. Espresso and cappuccino were good.

GEE--now that I reread this I certainly have to get back here! :smile:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie,

Looks like we had similar (positive) experiences.

Which location did you go to, it sounds like the one on Terhune Street.... do you know anything about their other location off of Kennedy Blvd?  Apparently it's in the oldest building in Jersey City and a little nicer on the inside.  I'm thinking about trying this location next time, as i HATE to drive, and apparently this location is walkable from the Journal Square PATH station (and i can walk to a PATH train from my apartment).

As i stated above, the person who recommended this restaurant to me said the location on Terhune is better, but i also read on another message board that the location off of Kennedy Blvd is better, so i'm willing to give it a shot.

Haven't been to the other location. They had another restaurant in a different location near Journal Square a long time ago that closed. I was at that one and didn't care for the food. If you go be sure to give us a report.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ain't it a weird location??!!

I don't know of any location on Kennedy, I think you're referring to the Summit HOuse on Summit by the JSQ path.  Your friend was right though, the Terhune locale is better, no comparison.  

I've eaten at both locales about half dozen times.  Terhune has the atmosphere and I think the food is noticeably better.  I've gotten mixed service at the Terhune locale, but it's forgiveable since the servers are usually very friendly and seem like they've been working there since 1922.  I once had to wait for a check for an eternity because our waitress was having coffee with diners at another table.  I've only ordered the basic stuff, i.e., veal parmigana, rolatini, pasta and the like, and always found it filling and decent.  I like the heaping salad that comes with every meal.  I wish they would improve the bread and desserts though.  The bread tastes like an italian bread bought at pathmark.

This place definitely should be included in the neighborhood joint thread.