• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Suggestion for a group of 10+

Roonytunes

I'm trying to plan out a birthday dinner. The post-party is occuring at The Walnut Room (17th and Walnut), so I am basically looking for a restaurant in the area, BYO preferable and if not somewhat reasonably priced is acceptable, that will take reservations for a Sat evening @ 7pm. It has to be a fun atmosphere (not too sedate, not too dive-y) with good food - the age range of guests will be from the mid twenties to mid thirties and there is likely to be a constant flow of drinks.

My first thought was Lolita, but they will not take reservations for a Saturday. I don't think there is another BYO-tequilla joint in that area. I could do Tequillas, while on the theme of Mexican and pitchers of margarita, but wanted to see if anyone had any creative ideas. Bronzino, Pumpkin etc. are a bit too "grown-up" for this crowd. I have never been to Ciboulette (sp?) Is that any good? A part of me actually thinks I should just throw my hands up in the air and go with Buca Di Beppo although I'd like to think I can do better than a chain!

Would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!!

How about Mixto (12/Pine)? Not BYO, but reasonable. Food is kinda mass quantities-style but pretty tasty. Atmosphere's nice, especially when the front windows are open onto the Pine Street-scape.

Is Ciboulette still open?

BYOBs--- (less "grown up") Bellini Grill on 16th,

Effie's (12th & Pine) pretty far from Walnut Room for most people, but I like walking and love the back courtyard

La Boheme (11th & Locust) I get the impression they're not quite as good as they used to be before Le Jardin took some staff, but still probably pretty decent simple French fare

Mercado (12th & Spruce) and its twin on the alcohol side, Valanni

non-BYOBs---

Ludwig's Garten (13th & Sansom), although you and others may consider the food too heavy

Cafe Habana (21st & Sansom), reiatively good prices for drinks and food

El Vez (13th & Sansom) kitschy cool for most people, but you may have considered and dismissed it

Lula (12th & Sansom) wine list and menu posted

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I had my 35th at tre scalini on 11th and Tasker and they gave us the entire upstairs. It was memorable, very reasonably priced, great folks and BYO. I can get more specifics from my other half if you would like.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Thanks everyone!! I know I can always count on you guys for a medley of suggestions. S.Philly is out for this celerbration, but I will keep Tre Scalini in mind for future ones. I will research and call the other center city restaurants mentioned and see what they can do for me.

I'm hard pressed to think of one place that fits all your requirements of BYOB, 10+ people, Saturday night reservations, fun and close to Walnut Room. btw, if/when you do find one, please let us know, I'd be very interested ;) Most of the BYOBs I can think of are fairly small and not sure they take reservations, most of the ones I though of are already mentioned, but I would add Matyson (19th & near Chestnut).

Now, non-BYOB's, I'm not sure if the following take reservations, but have okay food and a 'fun' atmosphere:

- Nodding Head (On Sansom, between 16th & 15th), micro-brew with decent food. Should be pretty lively on Saturday nights, has a separate room that can hold 10+ easily

- McGillians (near 13th & Drury) oldest pub in Philly, has a good selection of beers and standard pub food which isn't too bad. It has an upstairs (which you might be able to reserve a table). I imagine it would be kinda crowded on Saturday night and can be loud. Also, I think after 9pm is karaoke, downstairs.

Good Luck

Edited by robertruelan (log)

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up, we ended up at Los Cantrines/Tequillas after all and it turned out to be a fantastic choice. While they don't take a "formal" reservation, we were told it wouldn't be that hard to get a table for 10+ even on a Saturday in the summer time. The bar area was a little tight for a group to cluster around since it's very linear but we managed. This was a definite advantage over a BYO where this space would have been hard to find. With a party this large, a good 20 min leeway is necessary for everyone to find parking etc, so hovering space is always nice. And it turned out they were kind enough to seat us at our larger dinner table in under 15 mins even though we needed to have our full party present but two individuals got stuck in I-95 traffic due to construction for an extra hour...

The banging of glasses for the tequilla shots as well the show of margarita and white sangria pitchers balanced on the waiters' heads really added to the party atmosphere. Appetizers were easy to share - we got octopus salad, ceviche and fancy nachos. Entrees came out fairly quickly and portions were huge. Not to mention, by this point, many of us were quite sloshed and were not sure what we were eating. The waiters did do a birthday slice with a candle and sang, but not before they banged another tequilla shot on the table...and the birthday girl was forced to down it all down.

I highly recommend this restaurant for a good party fun vibe.

You're right near Chinatown too....they love large parties.

Also, The Smoked Joint isn't too far away.

Thanks Tarte Tartin now I won't be accused of being a sneaky PR person...however was going to say that I have had 1 birthday and attended 2 birthdays at Lolita and the wait was not too bad we got there like an hour before we wanted to eat, gave our name & went and had cocktails at El Vez till the hostess phoned...it was not much of a bother and really its the best choice

if you feel the urge to go downtown Vietnam has huge flaming cocktails and is the food is soooo reasaonable that it makes up for your bar bill

(of course there's always the 'Joint ...what a great place :wink:)

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

You're right near Chinatown too....they love large parties.

Also, The Smoked Joint isn't too far away.

Thanks Tarte Tartin now I won't be accused of being a sneaky PR person...however was going to say that I have had 1 birthday and attended 2 birthdays at Lolita and the wait was not too bad we got there like an hour before we wanted to eat, gave our name & went and had cocktails at El Vez till the hostess phoned...it was not much of a bother and really its the best choice

if you feel the urge to go downtown Vietnam has huge flaming cocktails and is the food is soooo reasaonable that it makes up for your bar bill

(of course there's always the 'Joint ...what a great place :wink:)

The main problem I had with Lolita is they apparently do not seat tables larger than 6 on Sat nights. Even after I explained the occasion, they told me there were no exceptions to the rule and the chances of being able to seat two tables of 6 next to each other were not good.