• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pikesville Rye

jparrott

Admin: split from the discussion on Rittenhouse Bonded Rye.

In a related development, a recently spotted (in La Plata, MD) bottle of Pikesville rye (same distiller, slightly younger, different mashbill, I believe) is fueling an excellent Manhattan right now. Much better than Beam rye, and a little higher-toned than the similar Overholt. Great value at $15.99 for a 1.75!

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Google turned up a nice article on Pikesville rye. It's from the Fall '04 Baltimore Style magazine. Here's a taste:

...The sole rye survivor with any roots in Maryland is Pikesville Supreme. Its classic black, white and gold label is easily recognized in our finer liquor stores. Working from a recipe dating back to 1890, Andrew W. Merle began bottling in 1936. His son, Andrew Jr., distilled Pikesville Rye until 1972. Ten years later, bowing to high costs and low demand, the brand was sold to Heaven Hill Distilleries of Bardstown, Ky. Mercifully, they continued the tradition. But authentic Maryland rye was no more.

Gone was the Maryland rye, but not the Maryland rye drinker. I like to think of myself as one. Nothing else has that "bite" that rye whiskey has. That's one thing about rye: When you're drinking it, you know you're drinking. It's not light beer. Were there more people out there like me?

Thanks to some clever detective work by my good friends at The Wine Source and Reliable Churchill Liquor Distributors, I was hot on the trail of the region's top purveyors of Pikesville Rye....

Sure would like to know more about this:

...."I sell a lot of Manhattans," he said smiling, "But not like I sell the Frozen Ryes."

I shook my head. Frozen Rye was a new one on me. He smiled again and took a bottle of Pikesville down from a shelf. "Start with a 12-ounce glass," he said. Moments later, after a flurry of pouring and mixing, he placed before me a delicious-looking concoction of rye, crushed ice, three fruit juices, sugar, a little more rye, and a garnish of cherry and orange. Standing back to admire his work, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a cigar....

Anyone heard of this drink? Looks damned refreshing in the photo.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake