• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Esoteric 2000 Yquem ...

E. M. Pashman

Perceived rarity, usually has little to do with quality. In my 30+ years of collecting, i have found Yquem and other First Growths to be bad values compared to the lessor classified growths. Especially Lafite, Yquem and the rest. I just recieved my 2001 Sauterne futures, 2 cases of 2001 375ml Suiduraut. My cost was $20 bottle, case price. The 2001 Yquem 375 ml is a lot more and for me does not justify the price difference. My suggestion is to purchase the lessor growths in a better year and forget about the hype. -Dick

Wine.com has the 2000 yquem for $220 also. 1999 is another good but unremarkable vintage for yquem and the wine can be had for much less - I paid $138 for my 750s and $69 for my 375s. I would suggest finding some of the 2001 Rieussec, Suduiraut, Climens, and/or La Tour Blanche if you intend to drink this wine in the next ten years anyway. The 2001 Coutet and de Malle are worth finding as well, though they aren't at the same level as the wines I've already listed. Long term (20+ years from now) yquem even from a weak vintage is likely to be in better shape than its peers, but if you aren't waiting that long to drink it, what good does that do you?