• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

E. M. Pashman

E. M. Pashman

Trying to find opinions on the 2000 Chateau d'Yquem is like ... well, like doing something really difficult. Which is rather surprising given that the wine was released last year, and it's not often that no one knows a thing about Sauternes' most famous concoction.

Here's what I know: the 2000 harvest turned out to be peculiarly difficult, and somebody--Parker or Suckling or one of the boys--in the first barrell tasting rated the vintage an 88. Yquem reacted by cutting production by 70%, reportedly to excellent results. Some of what I've read suggests that some recent tasters have considered the final product one of Yquem's best efforts (until the next year's wine, of course).

So the 2000 vintage is one of the rarest of an always rare wine, one that started off badly but may have ended well. I've found a great price for the 2000 and would like to pick some up, but I also would like to hear from you if you know anything further.

Anything?

Eric