• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Malaysian in Toronto?

Vancouver

Restoran Malaysia on Major Mackenzie in Richmond Hill has good Malysian food according to friends who've been there before. Havent been there myself because I live downtown and its kinda out of the way without a car. My friends are Malaysian (and so am I), so I trust it should be alright. There's another place around Pacific Mall but it was just so-so. Forgot the name of the place though.

The only place I know in downtown that serves Malaysian food is Mata Hari. It's a bit on the pricey side, but the food is ok. Located near the McCaul & Baldwin intersection.

mata hari has been my one and only malaysian experience and it certainly was enjoyable. I can't comofrtably vouch for its authenticity but it's a worthwhile destination and if you're exploring the city it's definitely worth acquainting yourself with baldwin street (between beverley and mccaul)

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

South Asia Malaysian Cuisine

416-291-3892

3380 Midland Avenue,

Scarborough, ON M1V 5B5

It's Unit 19 on west side of Midland just north of Finch. Tried it a couple of weeks ago - had great laksa for lunch. Had to wait for a seat as the place was packed - always a good sign. Planning on returning very soon (possibly this week). You're unlikely to find anything cheaper and, although I haven't tried Restoran Malaysia, don't plan on venturing even further north because this place was so good.

• 3 weeks later...