• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2003 Do Ferreiro Albarino Cepas Vellas

Brad Ballinger

2003 Do Ferreiro Albarino "Cepas Vellas," Rias Baixas. This albarino is made from 200 year old vines. This particular vintage sports a nose a bit on the herbal side -- almost leek-like -- with white pepper and a bit of the floral. Not nearly green in the mouth whatsoever, though. There's an abundance of lemon-orange citrus, hazelnuts, salt-like minerals, in a tight and acidic package. Finishes with a combination of mineral and orange pith. And has more depth and complexity than nearly any other albarino I've had. Very impressive.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Brad,

Did you get a chance to see how it evolves with air? I expect that given how much stuffing it has, it may be best on the second day. Or even the third.

--- Lee

Seattle

Brad,

Did you get a chance to see how it evolves with air?  I expect that given how much stuffing it has, it may be best on the second day.  Or even the third.

Nope, I was onto one of the many other wines to drink, and the bottle was emptied.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Is that Albarino from Portugal?

John John John,

The subtitle of the topic on the forum list page reads "Spain, Rias Baixas."

:biggrin:

Yes, but "Do Ferreiro" and "Cepas Vellas" is not Spanish. Indeed, the rias Baixas does extend into Portugal and albarinos are made there. I suppose the language could and probably is Galician, but the subtitle could have been incorrect as regards this particular wine.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Okay, legit points. I double-checked for you. The wine label reads "Meano, Pontevedra (Espana)." Meano is a town in the Galician province of Pontevedra in Spain.