• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Umathum, St. Laurent 1999

Andre

Umathum, St.Laurent, Born Stein, Franenkirchner Burgenland 1999

Dark intense very deep color

A massive forest berry nose with an excellent use of oak, molasses and mild spice. Very concentrated and very well balanced.

The acidity is very apparent from the first sip. Its sharpness may be a bit disturbing to new world wine drinkers although I favorably accepted. Some VA notes lingered behind the dark juice with a smooth peppery finish.

Minutes into enjoying this hulk and there is little signs of the sharp acidity subsiding, clearing the palate for new flavors every sip.

This is a beautifully balanced on the dryish side and an amazing experience of this ancient grape variety [st. Lauren].

Drink now – 2010.

Tasted March 30th 2005.

Every wine like this indulges my ignorance of wine.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Thanks for posting this note, Andre. I've only one from Umathum -- a 2001 Zweigelt, which is a hybird between blaufrankisch and st. laurent. Both were in the $15 (U.S.) price range, wonderfully fruity, spicy, and acidic, and would be great food wines. The bottle I had was a little "grapey" being fairly young, so it was good to read a note on a more mature wine.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero