• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moscow, Riga, Tiblisi

I'm going to all three wondrous places next month with a group of reporters that expects me to come up with excellent restaurant options. The test is quality more than value. Does anyone have any ideas on any of these cities?

I spend quite a bit of time in Moscow.  Are you specifically looking for Russian restaurants?  How long will you be there?

One night only - which makes the pressure all the greater to deliver... Russian would be good, but quality is the most important factor.

Wow. Not a lot of time. I would hate to steer you wrong.

Moscow has turned into quite a restaurant city and I could recommend a variety of good restaurants, but if you are only there one night I would recommend the Pushkin Cafe NY Times Pushkin Cafe info. Reservations are definitely needed. This place is a very popular, nice Russian restaurant - a Moscow standard.

There is a Russian place right at Red Square called 1 Red Square, but I have heard very mixed reviews and I have never been there.

You can find reviews of several restauants on the Moscow Expat site expat.ru Restaurant Reviews. Among the ones reviewed, I can highly recommend Scandinavia, Simple Pleasures and Ararat Cafe.

Wow.  Not a lot of time.  I would hate to steer you wrong. 

Moscow has turned into quite a restaurant city and I could recommend a variety of good restaurants, but if you are only there one night I would recommend the Pushkin Cafe NY Times Pushkin Cafe info.  Reservations are definitely needed.  This place is a very popular, nice Russian restaurant - a Moscow standard. 

There is a Russian place right at Red Square called 1 Red Square, but I have heard very mixed reviews and I have never been there.

You can find reviews of several restauants on the Moscow Expat site expat.ru Restaurant Reviews.  Among the ones reviewed, I can highly recommend Scandinavia, Simple Pleasures and Ararat Cafe.

Thanks so much - that's very useful

Edited by rwolffe (log)