• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fragolino

scordelia

• 1 year later...

I'd like to know of the answer to this - assume that the reader was referring to fragolino bianco. I jsut recently tried some of this illicit wine in Venice and was taken aback at how good it was - it's perhaps the best dessert wine I ever tried. It's apparently illegal because of high levels of methanol, and the place we purchased it from had it in unmarked bottles which they then put their store sticker on.

Since it's illegal to sell, I imagine that it's also illegal to export, but you never know. (To my knowledge, it's not outlawed in the US.)

Is it illicit? It was all over the Veneto when we stayed there, on every grocer's shelf for about 3 euros a bottle. What I had was white and fizzy--like a sweet, strawberry infused champagne.

Isn't it delicious? One of our favorite ways to serve it was to pour a little over those tiny woodland strawberries which were in season at the time and let the berries marinate a bit beofre eating them--accompanied by a glass or two of fragolino of course!

S. Cue

I don't know if they're the same things? There's the fragolino which is the strawberry wine, then there's another fragolino bianco that's sparkling. This was not a sparkling wine, didn't taste like strawberries, and was definitely not sold everywhere. It was just barely sweet - I'd love to make more notes on it but I'm saving this bottle for a special occasion...

Bonny Doon has experimented with fragolino* from time to time for their wine club. I don't remember the results being particularly notable.

I don't see anything available on their website currently except their grappa di fragolino.

While I was googling, I noticed K & L Wines recommends this sparkler for anyone who's "ever liked Fragolino."

Ruggeri "Don Giovanni" Marzemino Frizzante

*I may have been thinking of freisa, not fragolino. Though, I could swear I've also gotten some sort of fragolino over the years from DEWN.

edit - add note.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA