• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angelica

slbunge

The folks at Bonny Doon sent bottles of Angelica in the most recent 'club' shipment. Had never heard of it before.

Apparently Angelica was originally produced by Franciscan missionaries in CA. They used the mission grapes they grew and added the juice to a clear brandy from the same mission grapes. The result was a sort of fortified wine that I believe was aged in barrels.

Bonny Doon's version (the only version I have tried) is quite interesting. Intense grape smell with a bit of booziness to it (18% alcohol). Easy to drink with a big, rich mouthfeel and some sweetness although quite a bit less sweet than most ports I have tried. Paired well with a selection of cheeses that we had laying around.

There is some more information from Bonny Doon on their online store here (click on 'All Wines', then 'Club Wines' and it can be found on page 2).

The history is pretty interesting but apparently it isn're a very popular offering anymore. Anyone else had any experience with Angelica?

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

The folks at Bonny Doon sent bottles of Angelica...Apparently Angelica was originally produced by Franciscan missionaries in CA.  They used the mission grapes they grew and added the juice to a clear brandy from the same mission grapes.  The result was a sort of fortified wine that I believe was aged in barrels.

Got this one too. Am intrigued; but, haven't tried it yet.

I was struck by the similarity to "Pineau des Charentes" a blend of Congac and Wine Grape Juice, which is apparently used in the Per Se House Cocktail.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=42570

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

The folks at Bonny Doon sent bottles of Angelica...Apparently Angelica was originally produced by Franciscan missionaries in CA.  They used the mission grapes they grew and added the juice to a clear brandy from the same mission grapes.  The result was a sort of fortified wine that I believe was aged in barrels.

Got this one too. Am intrigued; but, haven't tried it yet.

I was struck by the similarity to "Pineau des Charentes" a blend of Congac and Wine Grape Juice, which is apparently used in the Per Se House Cocktail.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=42570

Okay, I'm confused... Is the juice in the Angelica unfermented? And if so, it's *still* reminiscent of Port?

Okay, I'm confused... Is the juice in the Angelica unfermented? And if so, it's *still* reminiscent of Port?

The historical information I read (thanks Google) indicates that Angelica was originally grape juice and brandy, both from mission grapes. I assume the juice was unfermented.

The Bonny Doon info says the grape juice is 'lightly fermented'.

And yes, it is somewhat reminiscent of some of the tawny ports I have had (I'm no expert).

Edited by slbunge (log)

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Heitz used to make Angelica, which was available for purchase only at the tasting room. A friend purchased a case--this was in the mid-1980's--and turned us on to it. It was sherry-like, quite sweet, but with layers of gorgeous intense flavors of caramel, vanilla, walnuts, orange blossom, fig and apricot. We were gifted with two bottles from the case, and we hoarded it for years, dispensing it in thimblefuls after dinner. On our next trip to the Napa Valley (I believe it was in early 1990) we stopped at the Heitz tasting room and asked if we could buy some Angelica. We were told that they no longer made it. Sad. I can still taste it in my palate-memory. A couple of Australian stickies I've had were reminiscent of it. I am thinking particularly of the Yalumba Victoria Museum and the H. L. Buller Premium Fine Muscat.