• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Longaniza

Recently, at a mexican grocery, I bought some freshly made "Longaniza". This was sold alongside the regular fresh chorizo.

Is this sausage more similar to a Spanish-style or Portuguese chorizo? I'm thinking of throwing it into a paella with chicken.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Recently, at a mexican grocery, I bought some freshly made "Longaniza". This was sold alongside the regular fresh chorizo.

Is this sausage more similar to a Spanish-style or Portuguese chorizo? I'm thinking of throwing it into a paella with chicken.

Jason, what do you mean by "fresh"? Longaniza is a type of cured sausage which excludes pimentón in its seasoning, therefore being quite different from chorizo.

I recently visited Zaragoza in Aragón, where longanizas are one of its traditional embutidos. You can take a look at:

Longanizas from Graus (Graus is a small village located in Huesca, northern Aragón.

Longaniza from Aragón

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Well, as I said, I bought it at a mexican grocery and it was alongside fresh mexican-style chorizo, and it is a fresh sausage. So I'm not sure if "Longaniza" as the Mexicans define it is the same as the way Iberians define it.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I found this on Mexigrocers.com:

Longaniza ("Poor Man's Chorizo"): A course or rough-cut sausage product with a different spice pack that appeals to Caribbean and South American Hispanics. Made from inferior meats in one long strips, oftentimes pork and beef mixed together.

This format of Chorizo has to be extracted from the external casing and cooked in a skillet and served mixed with eggs and potatoes.

http://www.mexigrocers.com/dairy.htm

So it might not be good for a paella.

• 10 months later...

I found this thread after I picked up some fresh longaniza at the Asian grocery last night and was wondering what they were and what to do with them. Here's an interesting link.

And this link explains why the Asian market had stacks and stacks of them for sale for Chinese New Year!

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Jason, Longaniza is a staple sausage item in the Dominican Republic where my wife is from. It is a very basic and sometimes spicy, very coarse pork sausage. I wouldn't really compare it to chorizo which is much sweeter and finer I think.

They eat it deep fried with tostones, with mangu for breakfast and in locrio.

Oh forgot, its prolly not suitable for paella. Try one fried up first, its aroma and flavor profile are very overpowering.

Mike

Edited by NYC Mike (log)

-Mike & Andrea

Thanks!

What I'm finding is that it's spelled "longganisa" in the Filipino parts of the world. I did find a Dominican recipe that looks really good--I'll give it a go as soon as the hubster returns with garlic.

What probably adds to the confusion is that the market is Asian, and the bulk of the employees are Latino. The results of Iberian colonization certainly are impressive.

Oh, yeah--does your wife remove the casings or leave them intact?

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

Thanks!

What I'm finding is that it's spelled "longganisa" in the Filipino parts of the world. I did find a Dominican recipe that looks really good--I'll give it a go as soon as the hubster returns with garlic.

What probably adds to the confusion is that the market is Asian, and the bulk of the employees are Latino. The results of Iberian colonization certainly are impressive.

Oh, yeah--does your wife remove the casings or leave them intact?

Casings on most of the time. I haven't had that recipe but the site is pretty good for Dominican "tipico" dishes. They have a locrio one with bulgar that looks good too, i'd sub in rice for the bulgar.

locrio

Edited by NYC Mike (log)

-Mike & Andrea

The most popular Philippine Sausage made in the United States and Canada that is generally available at many "Asian" or "Mexican" Markets is "Longaniza".

It is very tasty and I have used it in Paella. It is comparable to the Portuguese Linquicia and it's better in a Paella them most Mexican Style Chorizo Sausage.

It's is sold with different seasonings and types of fillings so it may be better if you first sliced diagonally and sauted the sausage before trying it in a Paella

It's very good added into a Omelet when sauted with Celery, Garlic, Onions, dash of wine, Sweet Peppers, Tomato's and Leaf Parsley with some Parmesan Cheese, slices of Chili can heat it up a bit.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I cooked them up last night in a modified version of the locrio recipe NYC Mike bookmarked upthread, using rice IPO bulgher. They were very sweet--much sweeter than any chorizo I've ever had.

The recipe was pretty good too, although I added two chopped green peppers and 1/4 cup of chopped garlic and subbed a large can of chopped tomatoes for the 2 real ones the recipe called for--it's not like tomatoes are really tomatoes at this time of year, anyway--and added a couple minced serrano chiles, and a can of kidney beans. So in the end, it was only approximately locrio, but it certainly was tasty. Even my husband liked it, and he generally doesn't like rice, beans, OR sausage.

Yummmmmmmm.....leftovers.......

There are two types of Longanisa I am familiar with. A sweet one and a vinegary one. Both can be found fresh or frozen.

This is how I was taught to cook them by a Filipino friend: poke holes in the casings where there are large chunks of fat. In a skillet place a little water and simmer sausages, when water evaporates leave it to brown.

It's great plain with rice. :wub:

Ok; around Toluca, Mexico, they produce a specialty "Longaniza Verde", with fresh herbs and nuts in it, as well as the more common Longaniza Roja. I find them tasty, but greasy and soft.

Well, as I said, I bought it at a mexican grocery and it was alongside fresh mexican-style chorizo, and it is a fresh sausage. So I'm not sure if "Longaniza" as the Mexicans define it is the same as the way Iberians define it.

Buen provecho, Panosmex

There are two types of Longanisa I am familiar with.  A sweet one and a vinegary one.  Both can be found fresh or frozen.

This is how I was taught to cook them by a Filipino friend:  poke holes in the casings where there are large chunks of fat.  In a skillet place a little water and simmer sausages, when water evaporates leave it to brown. 

It's great plain with rice.  :wub:

I'm going to check for the vinegary ones this week. (Inquiring minds and all that.)