• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards

jamiemaw

I’ve been it town this past week assembling the vast amount of information required to publish the results of the 16th Annual Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards.

I thought it might be useful to share the methodology of the awards with you, especially as there still exists some misinformation, but also because the awards now attract so much attention in the media and across the food service industry.

The awards were initiated in 1989 and were originally decided solely by the food editor, and in just a few categories. When Jim Sutherland became editor of the magazine a decade ago, he elected to broaden the basis of the awards and invited in a panel of about a dozen judges—professional food and restaurant journalists.

Since that time, in the ten years that I have been managing the program, we have further broadened both the scope of categories and the number of judges, who now number 25. Nine years ago, rather than just publishing the results we also initiated the celebratory event. This year we rotated a number of judges, adding two new experts from the lower Island—Shelora Sheldan (who was an exemplary contributor to our Eating + Drinking Guide to British Columbia and who also posts here) and Gary Hynes, the publisher of EAT Magazine.

The awards are unique in Canada and the ceremony is the largest event of its type in North America after the James Beard Awards.

Here’s how they work:

1. Each year, beginning in September, our editorial committee develops lists of new restaurants and those that may have gone out of business.

2. We also re-examine categories. This year we added Lower Vancouver Island, the Okanagan and Casual Chinese, Italian and Japanese to the list, which now numbers over 30 categories.

3. In November, we list finalists for special categories, such as Best Producer/Supplier (voted on by a separate panel—The Chefs’ Table Society of BC), Lifetime Achievement in the Culinary Arts, Best Cook or Wine Book, Premier Crew Service Awards, Sommelier of the Year.

4. In December we finalize our list of new restaurants and break them down into Fine Dining and Casual Dining, with a dividing line of $50 ADC (Average Dinner Check).

5. In early January, we hold a lengthy meeting of a Judges’ Nominating Committee comprised of the most senior experts. In most categories, 10 to 12 finalist restaurants are posted to each ballot category. Immediately afterward, the entire Judges Committee meets for general discussion. On e week later, the judges receive their ballots and are given two weeks to file them.

6. The ballots are sent directly to our independent accountants for tabulation. In early February the results are sent to us. Only five people know the results prior to publication.

7. In each category, judges vote for their top five selections and votes are weighted one through five, i.e first pick receives five points etc. Judges are not permitted to vote in any category where they do not have sound knowledge or where they might have a conflict of interest. Judges also make extensive comments on their 35 page ballot, which helps me enormously in the editorial writing.

8. The awards are announced at an industry-only event in late March, this year at the Sheraton Wall Centre where approximately 800 people will attend. This year CTV will be covering the event; Vicki Gabereau and I will host it.

9. The Annual Restaurant Awards edition of the magazine is then released that day.

Over time, and although we continue to publish a Readers' Choice awards in the autumn, I feel that the Critics’ Choice methodology is highly credible and has been well received because it is expert and because it’s not subject to the foibles of ballot-stuffing.

As important as the awards are, especially in the major categories, the event really celebrates excellence and collegiality. Each of the finalists in the room that day has worked ferociously to operate a successful business. These awards are simply a way of recognizing that hard work in front of their peers and the public. Certainly a great deal of volunteer time goes into their organization, voting and compilation. I continue to think that’s time well spent.

I look forward to your comments or questions.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

This is an event that I look forward to each year. I can appreciate the amount of work that gold medal restaurants have to do in order to obtain or retain that status. There are no off days and there are no "it's good enough" meals. You need to be consistantly excellent day in and day out.

That being said, I do not think that there are any major surprises in most of the major catagories. For example, it would be tough to beat " Mr. Iron Chef" Rob Feenie as the chef of the year ( I am certainly not looking to have egg on my face if he does not win, just an example ). What I would find interesting is that once having won a gold medal, you are exempt for two years in that catagory, opening the field up to other players and creating an buzz about who could possibly be the new winner. That would make for an exciting awards ceremony.

I certainly can see both sides of the coin here -

Being a winner puts bums in seats - some people use this as their personal dining guide for the year and there is a $$ value attached to being a winner. It is the reward for consistant excellence. The readers of the magazine deserve to know who is the best example in that catagory. I recognize that. There certainly is status attached to winning.

Vikram Vij runs an excellent restaurant and is the front runner for Indian restaurant etc. - Once he won this, he still would be open to win restaurant of the year, same with Tojo etc. That would make for an interesting race ! These two restaurants dominate their catagories every year. Same with Scott Jaeger at the Pear Tree - always wins for Best of the Burbs but there is a guy who could make a run at restaurant or Chef of the year( please correct me if I am wrong as I have a short memory and no stack of past Van Mags at my fingertips to check ).

Perhaps I am looking at this from my own point of entertainment. Looking for dark Horses and Underdogs. Looking for surprises where perhaps none exist - Vij's is possibly the best Indian restaurant and deseves the recognition every year.

But wouldn't it be fun to see something like Vera's Burger Shack win best chain restaurant rather than Earl's. I am not looking for something comical like Go Fish win best Seafood ( no disrespect to Go Fish, just a handy example ) if "C" Restaurant is out of the running for two years.

Would this dilute the prestige that goes with winning or motivate people who are so very close to being in the running ( I will provide no examples here ). What sort of increase in business comes with winning ? I have an idea of how much. Are all locations ready for that ? Would it be fair to give a gold medal to someone who was not ready for that sort of volume increase ? Let's say Go Fish swept all catagories - Chef, Restaurant, Best Casual, Best Seafood, Best New restaurant, Best French Fry etc - would they be ready for five hour line-up everyday all day. No one is ready for that kind of instant volume increase. Quality would suffer and the accuracy of the awards would then come into question. ( again, no disrepect to Gord and his team, just an example ).

It would make for a slightly more exciting restaurant awards ceremony. Or perhaps Pino and Umberto could have a duel for Best Italian - That would be cool !!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Neil,

Thank you for your thoughtful remarks--exactly the kind of industry feedback that is constructive and helpful.

That being said, I do not think that there are any major surprises in most of the major catagories. For example, it would be tough to beat " Mr. Iron Chef" Rob Feenie as the chef of the year ( I am certainly not looking to have egg on my face if he does not win, just an example ).

FYI, The Chef of the Year category can only be won by an individual once. So Mr. Feenie, as the inaugural winner last year, is not eligible this year or in the future. All other categories, with the obvious exception of Lifetime Achievement in the Culinary Arts, Premier Crew Service Awards and Best Supplier/Producer are open for repeat winners.

And that's because one of the chief purposes of the published version of the awards is as a guide. Dismissing those who are at the top of each category would not suit this purpose, and would also be misleading. Believe me, we've had many discussions on this topic. To some degree, the publication of the Eating + Drinking Guide to BC has spread the wealth.

I come from the dark horses and underdogs school too. But what must be recognized, especially in a medium-sized market such as Vancouver, is who consistently excells over the course of the year. This protocol disallows for gratuitous choices, or one's made along the thinking of, "He's/She's won forever--let's pick someone new."

As resources have slowly permitted, we have been able to increase our sweep this year, both geographically, but also through the compilation of Wild Card choices and an entertaining grid of judge's insider picks.

As we continue to refine the program, I hope that you continue to find the results illuminating.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Jamie, two questions:

How do the judges decide on the best service crew?

For all of the awards, is there a list of the nominees that we can peek at?

AM.

1. The Premier Crew Service Awards are decided on the write-in ballot with (usually) extensive comments from each judge as to why that person should be selected. Over time, certain trends develop, and excellence is fairly easy to signal across the board. If you look back at the last few April editions on the archives, Andrew, I think you'll see a consistent pattern that blends professionalism, knowledge, graciousness-under-fire and even, in some cases, longevity!

2. The 10 to 12 nominees (more in the New Restaurant categories) are typically mentioned, space permitting, in the editorial.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Thanks for the prompt response.

What exactly are the criteria or areas in which a restaurant is judged ? Is there a list with a grading scale ? Can you post it ?

Does past performance affect what is going through a judges mind ?

ie : In judging Indian restaurants does the thought " how does this compare to Vij's ? " go through their mind ? I know that in a recent posting about Indian restaurants, Vij's was excluded. Is Vij's the standard in that catagory, which all others are compared or do we start with a clean slate every year. If I were a judge, would I reflect on other meals I have enjoyed at Vij's in other years, does that blur my opinion this year ? Am I fondly reflecting on past experiences or living in the moment ? As a judge, would thay have needed to visit Vij's this past year or can I rely on reflections from other visits.

Can you give an example of a conflict of interest in judging ? Are there any conflicts in the current panel ?

And lastly, come on, a duel between Pino and Umberto would be very cool ! How would it be done ? Frying pans at 20 paces ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Thanks for the prompt response.

What exactly are the criteria or areas in which a restaurant is judged ? Is there a list with a grading scale ? Can you post it ?

Does past performance affect what is going through a judges mind ?

ie : In judging Indian restaurants does the thought " how does this compare to Vij's ? " go through their mind ? I know that in a recent posting about Indian restaurants, Vij's was excluded. Is Vij's the standard in that catagory, which all others are compared or do we start with a clean slate every year. If I were a judge, would I reflect on other meals I have enjoyed at Vij's in other years, does that blur my opinion this year ? Am I fondly reflecting on past experiences or living in the moment ? As a judge, would thay have needed to visit Vij's this past year or can I rely on reflections from other visits.

Can you give an example of a conflict of interest in judging ? Are there any conflicts in the current panel ?

And lastly, come on, a duel between Pino and Umberto would be very cool ! How would it be done ? Frying pans at 20 paces ?

The criteria by which a restaurant is judged are very similar to those used for The Eating + Drinking Guide to BC, i.e. there is a heavy focus on the food and beverage program; service follows and then decor, ambience and comfort. Each judge has a slightly different viewpoint, and that's one reason why we have so many--to offer an unfettered and rational evaluation.

Although I am only one judge of 25, I have a precisely calibrated system that I've been using (and refining) for the past decade. It is identical to EDG: 20 points in each of these sub-categories--food, wine and drinks list, service, decor/ambience. These scores are then evaluated as to 70% food and 10% each to the latter three.

On this scale, restaurants that might be considered on the very top of their (local) game, such as Lumiere, West, Cioppino's, Tojo's. Villa del Lupo, C, etc. would score in the upper range of 17.0 to 18.5. I have had single visit dinners in Vancouver that rated 19 on this scale but have not (yet) rated a restaurant overall that highly.

The judges do not vote in categories where they are not currently conversant or have a conflict. Thay are very good about honouring this pledge, i.e. not everyone gets to the Okanagan or the Island for a thorough sweep. One judge did declare a conflict this year; he honourably recused himself from a category where he had been doing some consulting work.

Lastly, preconceived notions of excellence or the lack of it are dangerous in any business, especially given this responsibility. If you could see the enormous amount of work that the judges perform, especially indicated by the some 75 pages of collated remarks that they have made, I think that you would find their findings quite conclusive. My job is to edit that collation to ensure that an accurate and fair depiction as to why the judges voted the way they did is evident to the reader and to the restaurateur.

Thanks Neil,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

In fairness, perhaps I should ask this question: Were there any results from last year's awards that anyone strenuously disagreed with?

YOU BE THE JUDGE

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I am just curious about the whole process. Not every publication has a budget for dinners out. Does Van Mag provide an honourarium to judges to subsidize the cost of the adventure or is this something the judges have to either pay for themselves or through their other work ?

I love to dine out but certainly do not have the budget to hit all of the spots in the running. That is quite an undertaking and one wonders if it is underwritten ?

Is this perhaps part of the reason for some of the huge gaps in the numbers in the scoring ? Take the meat catagory - 106 points at the top to 62, 44, 40 and 28 points for 5th ? Not everyone got out to all places and 28 points was all that Hy's got because not every judge had been in within the allotted time ? More of the judges had had a meal at Memphis Blues -ie if 30 judges rated it their #2 favourite, that would get them 120 points , where only 8 judges visited Morton's, but each rated it their #1, getting them 40 points. Is this how it works ?

I certainly would not question or disagree with the results - what we get is the blended results of 30 varied judges from different aspects of the industry. I am just curious about the method in which the results are arrived at.

I recall your 20 point system. Does every judge have something like it ? Do you offer up your system as a guideline or an aid ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I certainly would not question or disagree with the results - what we get is the blended results of 30 varied judges from different aspects of the industry. I am just curious about the method in which the results are arrived at.

I recall your 20 point system. Does every judge have something like it ? Do you offer up your system as a guideline or an aid ?

Great questions, Neil.

Like you I don't question or disagree with the results but I am interested in how the judging works. I've found the Van Mag awards to be a useful tool for myself and visitors over the years. It's just more interesting when the curtain gets lifted a bit and we get to see the behind-the-scenes workings.

Cheers,

Anne

I am just curious about the whole process. Not every publication has a budget for dinners out. Does Van Mag provide an honourarium to judges to subsidize the cost of the adventure or is this something the judges have to either pay for themselves or through their other work ?

I love to dine out but certainly do not have the budget to hit all of the spots in the running. That is quite an undertaking and one wonders if it is underwritten ?

Is this perhaps part of the reason for some of the huge gaps in the numbers in the scoring ? Take the meat catagory - 106 points at the top to 62, 44, 40 and 28 points for 5th ? Not everyone got out to all places and 28 points was all that Hy's got because not every judge had been in within the allotted time ? More of the judges had had a meal at Memphis Blues -ie if 30 judges rated it their #2 favourite, that would get them 120 points , where only 8 judges visited Morton's, but each rated it their #1, getting them 40 points. Is this how it works ?

Neil,

Your keen eye has detected a challenge in the categorization proceedure, and in a category that might affect you. (I also chaired the Jack Webster Foundation for Journalism for several years; categories are an endless topic and rife with challenges). Two years ago, because of the advent of the hugely popular Memphis Blues, we elected to join together "Barbecue" and "Steakhouse" into a category perhaps amusingly called "Meat". This year we have broken those out into separate categories. We corrected that because we didn't think it provided an even footing, especially as steakhouses (due to expensive principal ingredients) are amongst the most expensive restaurants in the city; Memphis Blues operates at a less expensive level, Revy decor included.

The judges are not paid an honorarium. Most of our judges dine out between two and four times a week (a few as many as five); we estimate that they might eat between 4,000 and 5,000 restaurant meals per annum. But they have not been selected just for their volume-dining; each has an educated palate and strong sense of "what works" in a restaurant. And although each judge has their own methodology, I think you can rely on each having set standards so as to compare properties on an even and fair basis.

It is a different methodology from our wine awards, where the judges taste blind and then discuss, sometimes very passionately, the potential winners in each price category. Here the judges use their year's knowledge and dining notes in a ballot system.

Barolo 

Great questions, Neil.

Like you I don't question or disagree with the results but I am interested in how the judging works. I've found the Van Mag awards to be a useful tool for myself and visitors over the years. It's just more interesting when the curtain gets lifted a bit and we get to see the behind-the-scenes workings.

We've always tried to be transparent in our procedures, however hopefully this discussion throws further light on how we manage the process, which, as mentioned earlier, has been considerably refined over the past 16 years.

I hope that this helps,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

[
Barolo 

Great questions, Neil.

We've always tried to be transparent in our procedures, however hopefully this discussion throws further light on how we manage the process, which, as mentioned earlier, has been refined over the past 16 years.

I didn't intend to imply that you were not transparent, Jamie. That is not what I think; I'm just interested in the details of the process.

Cheers,

Anne

[
Barolo 

Great questions, Neil.

We've always tried to be transparent in our procedures, however hopefully this discussion throws further light on how we manage the process, which, as mentioned earlier, has been refined over the past 16 years.

I didn't intend to imply that you were not transparent, Jamie. That is not what I think; I'm just interested in the details of the process.

I understand. Thank you.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

As a user of the guide - the results of the Vanmag awards provide an excellent overview of what is good out there.

Where the Vanmag listing is not useful for me is when it gets into Asian foods - and in particular Chinese and Japanese. Vanmag's selections are not so much 'bad' but the selected restaurants seem to be the most visible but not necessarily the best. For example Sun Sui Wah and Hon's are proverbial winners, yet for me there are better places. I have never been a huge fan of Tojo's whose food for me seems overly handled.

I say these things not to pull the reverse snobbery thing but I am curious as to how the judges guage ethnic food and how much exposure do the judges get to regularly dining in ethnic restaraunts. I not a proponent of the whole "hole in the wall is best" dogma - but the ethnic food landscape may not be so visible to the casual diner.

Also, I don't agree with the argument of the judges not knowing what "real" chinese food is. I think that an educated palette can always decern good food. This is a question about keeping abreast of ALL of the things that are going on in the Vancouver food scene. Though this is a medium sized market - it is a rapidly changing and evovling one.

Catagories, yes, there lies a great challange.

It is hard to define which pigeon hole a restaurant fits in. Like the whole West Coast Cuisine question, there possibly is no real right answer, just interpretation.

Lumiere - is it a Westcoast Contempoary Regional restaurant with French technique ? Is it a Formal French Restaurant with regional influences etc. Do they sell so many small plates to qualify as a Tapas or has Lumiere become a destination restaurant, adding it into yet another catagory. Is Vij's just an Indian restaurant or is it a Contemporary Regional because of uses of local ingredients and West Coast influences or because of his influence on the local dining scene ? I certainly do not wish to have the job of defining the catagories.

My keen eye did not detect the challenge in the system until I was typing the words. Accessability is key, or is at least part of it. Although Chef Gustav Von Asskicker might be doing the best food, at $1000 a head, not many people have the chance to see it, not ranking him very high in the scoring. Chef Ronald MacDonald is not doing nearly the sort of food Gustav is, while OK, at $20 per person, making him the number three choice, times the 30 judges, runs away with the catagory with a whopping 90 points over Chef Asskicker at a measly 10 points.

It is not a perfect system but I can't see how it could be changed to make it so. Because of the diversity of restaurants and the judges involved, it is probably the best we have. We can't keep breaking down catagories to suit every situation, it would dilute the overall prestige of the award - Best French Fry West of Cambie just does not fit. I notice that some catagories change or blend over the years to suit the current dining scene - I would rather that than restaurant trying to change what they are doing to fit inside a catagory pigeon hole.

Anyways, off to work I go,

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

To be a judge for these awards sounds like a difficult task. I'm sure the eating is very pleasurable, but having to state "the why" you chose a place would be daunting as all the thoughts that Neil mentioned must go through each judges' mind. (i.e. How does this compare to Vij's or should it?)

I'm wondering if the restaurants are asked if they want to participate and if so, has there ever been one that declines? I also wonder if personalities play a big part. The more outgoing and approachable chefs/owners/servers are the more noticeable and enjoyable the dining experience thus the food seems to taste better. Do the judges dine alone?

On my mind mostly is why one of my favourite places, Octopus Garden, didn't win any awards? Were they even considered? :hmmm: Have they ever won in the past?

Hats off anyway to the judges for all their hard work.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Also, I don't agree with the argument of the judges not knowing what "real" chinese food is.  I think that an educated palette can always decern good food.  This is a question about  keeping abreast of ALL of the things that are going on in the Vancouver food scene.  Though this is a medium sized market - it is a rapidly changing and evovling one.

True story, and increasingly challenging to keep on top of. Egullet is certainly a welcome adjunctory knowledge base. That being said, eGullet subscribers are not necessarily the same demographic.

Where the Vanmag listing is not useful for me is when it gets into Asian foods - and in particular Chinese and Japanese. Vanmag's selections are not so much 'bad' but the selected restaurants seem to be the most visible but not necessarily the best. For example Sun Sui Wah and Hon's are proverbial winners, yet for me there are better places.

I do hope that the Eating + Drinking Guide to BC provides additional insights. Further, and presuming that resources continue to permit, we plan more specialized teams for next year, especially in Asian categories, where openings, closings and chef movements are particularly challenging.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Catagories, yes, there lies a great challange.

It is hard to define which pigeon hole a restaurant fits in. Like the whole West Coast Cuisine question, there possibly is no real right answer, just interpretation.

Lumiere - is it a Westcoast Contempoary Regional restaurant with French technique ? Is it a Formal French Restaurant with regional influences etc. Do they sell so many small plates to qualify as a Tapas or has Lumiere become a destination restaurant, adding it into yet another catagory.  Is Vij's just an Indian restaurant or is it a Contemporary Regional because of uses of local ingredients and West Coast influences or because of his influence on the local dining scene ? I certainly do not wish to have the job of defining the catagories.

My keen eye did not detect the challenge in the system until I was typing the words. Accessability is key, or is at least part of it. Although Chef Gustav Von Asskicker might be doing the best food, at $1000 a head, not many people have the chance to see it, not ranking him very high in the scoring. Chef Ronald MacDonald is not doing nearly the sort of food Gustav is, while OK, at $20 per person, making him the number three choice, times the 30 judges, runs away with the catagory with a whopping 90 points over Chef Asskicker at a measly 10 points.

It is not a perfect system but I can't see how it could be changed to make it so. Because of the diversity of restaurants and the judges involved, it is probably the best we have. We can't keep breaking down catagories to suit every situation, it would dilute the overall prestige of the award - Best French Fry West of Cambie just does not fit. I notice that some catagories change or blend over the years to suit the current dining scene - I would rather that than restaurant trying to change what they are doing to fit inside a catagory pigeon hole.

Anyways, off to work I go,

Neil

For the most part, restaurants pick their own categories.

Accesibility is a good thing for all consumers, not just people paid to eat dinner. So too . . .

butter I'm wondering if the restaurants are asked if they want to participate and if so, has there ever been one that declines? I also wonder if personalities play a big part. The more outgoing and approachable chefs/owners/servers are the more noticeable and enjoyable the dining experience thus the food seems to taste better. Do the judges dine alone?

. . . Warm personalities, again, for both consumers and professional consumers. However as I said previously, marks are tilted heavily towards the food.

I don't dine alone very often. Usually the future Mrs. Maw accompanies me. Quite often we go in a group though, which permits us to get around the menu a little quicker. Guilty secret: When I eat in a group (of even two), I get to order first. Then we do business.

I have had to learn that awards systems and management aren't perfect. This is hell for a Virgo. But one thing I have also learned is that through dint of hard work of the many volunteers and professionals involved, inclusion of stakeholders and transparency of process, that the program can be enhanced each year and that, hopefully, its ultimate aim is accomplished--to float all the boats higher.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I don't dine alone very often. Usually the future Mrs. Maw accompanies me. Quite often we go in a group though, which permits us to get around the menu a little quicker. Guilty secret: When I eat in a group (of even two), I get to order first. Then we do business.

You will let us know when she is about to become the artist formerly known as the "Future Mrs. Maw" to "Mrs. Maw" :biggrin:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

You will let us know when she is about to become the artist formerly known as the "Future Mrs. Maw" to "Mrs. Maw" :biggrin:

As we have now been engaged for more than six years, and as my father said the other day "I'm not getting any younger" (88), we have definitely scheduled

nuptials for this millenium. Come to think of it, I'm not getting any younger either and I should probably get cracking while she still (seemingly) enjoys doing business with me.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

[As we have now been engaged for more than six years, and as my father said the other day "I'm not getting any younger" (88), we have definitely scheduled

nuptials for this millenium. Come to think of it, I'm not getting any younger either and I should probably get cracking while she still (seemingly) enjoys doing business with me.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

[As we have now been engaged for more than six years, and as my father said the other day "I'm not getting any younger" (88), we have definitely scheduled

6 yrs.+, take the leap man!

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

On my mind mostly is why one of my favourite places, Octopus Garden, didn't win any awards? Were they even considered? :hmmm: Have they ever won in the past?

I've wondered about this too butter. I think they did achieve bronze a few years back but that was it.

Perhaps we all fear the selection of a different winner of gold in this category as it would most definitely initiate ranting and a middle finger salute by the current titleholder. This was witnessed in Whistler last year at a different awards ceremony.

I agree with you too that the judging committee has a formidable task at hand.

I've wondered about this too butter. I think they did achieve bronze a few years back but that was it.

Perhaps we all fear the selection of a different winner of gold in this category as it would most definitely initiate ranting and a middle finger salute by the current titleholder. This was witnessed in Whistler last year at a different awards ceremony.

I agree with you too that the judging committee has a formidable task at hand.

Some readers might complain about the lack of change in some categories, montrachet, however my experience is that the best restaurants are also those most likely to experience longevity in the marketplace, i.e. they are well-managed, and come from passion, not concept. As a result, some categories tend to resist rapid change, albeit for sound reasons. That passion (and pride), as you point out, is sometimes exemplified in unusual ways, always remembering that the last four letters of the word restaurant in fact spell 'rant'.

I can't really comment on the individual restaurants and their placement, butter, although I can share with you that I too am a fan of Octopus Garden--it's one of the friendliest and most entertaining of our Japanese restaurants and offers terrific food. And luckily for me, it's nearby.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Here is a quick list of the judges from last year. Murray Bancroft, James BArber, Christina Burrudge, Sid Cross, Nathan Fong, Condrea Fung, Jurgen Gothe, Duncan Holmes, Judith Lane, Bill Jones, MArk Laba, Qubic Lam, Deana Lancaster, Barbara-jo McIntosh, Andre LaRiviere, The future husband of the person known as the future Mrs. Maw, Murray McMillan, Jason McRobbie, Caren McSherry, Robin Mines, Jane Mundy, Angela Murrills, Tim Pawsey, Robert Simpson, Mia Stainby, Lesley Stowe, Kasey Wilson, Stephen Wong, Stephanie Yuen and John Pifer.

That is quite a list. Not only hats off to the judges but hats off to the assistant who can book time with them and get them all in the room at the same time. A fair representation of all of the different writers and food personalities in town. I do not think that anyone is omitted and I heard the was a couple of additions this year.

Jamie - how many judges this year ? There was 30 last year. You have two additions this year - anyone not able to contribute this year ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill