• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Countertops and floors

kiliki

We're starting to plan a major kitchen remodel, and while I have some very definite ideas about other aspects of the kitchen, the mr. and I are both having a hard time choosing countertops and floors. I've read through a bunch of archived remodeling threads here, but I'd like to know more about what countertops and floor people either love or wish they'd never installed. I know the pros and cons according to the brochures, but I'd love to hear firsthand experiences. I'd especially like to know if anyones installed any "green" products (ie Richlite counters or cork tile floors).

The floors in the rest of the house are 100 y.o. honey colored fir, so any wood floor for the kitchen won't work.

I have a sample of Richlite - made into a cutting board. First use, it is scarred. It's black and now has a whitish spot.

I highly recommend getting a decent sized sample of whatever you are thinking of using for a countertop and put it through its paces - cut on it (you - or your guests - won't always get out a cutting board), let some lemon juice, red wine, even water sit on it for awhile and see if they leave a sign, try out your normal cleaning routine.

It really depends on so many things - how you use your counters, how you maintain them, what you want them to look like - a nice patina? Go ahead and get stone (even marble or limestone) or concrete. Polished forever? Look at granite or manmade products that are hard. No $? Plastic laminate comes in a huge range of colors and patterns.

Floors? Wood is nice. Linoleum is too - a natural product that actually ages nicely. Lots of colors and patterns, tiles or sheet goods. Again - if you are thinking about cork, get a sample and work with it. There are alot of different finishes - and I've seen some that look good under abuse, and others - not so good.

I don't expect much support for my views but having tried formica and its cousins for countertops and once having matte, large ceramic tiles - the tiles win hands down. Always there's a place for hot pots, pans, plates and no worries about scratches, scorches, etc. I can't wait to replace my current Corian? countertops with tile. Floors - same thing - I have tried cushion floor, vinyl tiles, etc. etc. and now have ceramic tiles and I love them - so easy to clean and keep clean. So - for me - tiles everywhere.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The only problems that I've ever had with tiles is that glazed tiles are dreadfully slippery when wet. I go barefoot at home constantly, and crippled myself for a month when I slipped in a "puppy gift" and threw my back out! :shock: Also, if you drop a glass, it's history, unless it's extremly heavy bistro wear, and sometimes even that won't save it! I have not had any experience with cork flooring, but to my poor sore legs it sounds GREAT! HTH.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

We're in the same boat. We're working with a kitchen designer that seems to love CaesarStone. We ordered around 8 samples and it is quite nice. It's a man-made product, but is similar to the slab granite we used to have. I believe they may even do custom colors, but we haven't looked into it too far. The only other counter we're considering is concrete (the whole house is quite modernist, so the motif would fit).

For flooring, like jackal mentions, real linseed is awesome. Our friends have 12" x 12" off-set checkered flooring in deep burgandy and butter. It's a great contrast and looks fantastic against their white cabinets.

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Countertops:

Like: Granite

Hate: Marble, Corian or any artifical surface

Floor: Real linoleum (e.e Faber-Nairn marmoleum)

Hate:  laminate, tiles, stone unless has underfloor heating

I have Marmoleum - and it's fine as long as you don't mind stripping and waxing floors (I do) - and you don't do things like walk on it with high heels (I don't). It's a very soft surface (which has advantages - and disadvantages). Robyn

Countertops

I Like Soapstone: impervious to any chemical substance likely to be found in your kitchen (PRO); extremely resistant to heat, I can move a pot directly from burner to counter (PRO); informal look, develops a "patina" (your choice); looks prettiest when dressed with a little mineral oil (no fancy polishes, pro for me); softer than "granites", scratches show until rubbed out with a little oil but can also be polished out with fine sandpaper (con & pro); high-intensity cleaners (people or products) will strip the oil fast in work areas & around sink, leaving color uneven until dressed again (con, if you're into scrubbing); hard, like all stones, I still have mild anxiety about chipping glass items when setting them down, though it hasn't happened (con); high heat capacity cools hot things and thaws frozen things surprisingly fast (usually pro); dark colors, mostly variations on graphite-to-black (your choice, potential con if you don't have good light); relatively easy to fabricate, my counters were done by a carpenter who had never worked with soapstone before and they came out very well indeed

I also Like a little Wood: several key physical properties are essentially opposite of soapstone (you can figure them out); it complements the stone nicely

Flooring

I Like Linoleum (sheet): resilient for feet and falling objects (pro); easy to clean (pro); you can wax/polish if you want, but it is not necessary (pro); seams can be "welded" so there are NO crevices--if you have a family that spills like mine, the idea of wood grain or grout lines to hold all the residue is too yucky

I'm talking real linoleum here, not vinyl. Mine is Forbo Marmoleum and I've never seen any heel marks; it is softest when new and does harden some over time.

Flooring

I Like Linoleum (sheet):  resilient for feet and falling objects (pro); easy to clean (pro); you can wax/polish if you want, but it is not necessary (pro); seams can be "welded" so there are NO crevices--if you have a family that spills like mine, the idea of wood grain or grout lines to hold all the residue is too yucky

I'm talking real linoleum here, not vinyl.  Mine is Forbo Marmoleum and I've never seen any heel marks; it is softest when new and does harden some over time.

I'm glad you chimed in here. I have Forbo Marmoleum as well. Love it! I get to put in all sorts of floors in my clients homes, so I've seen it all. I love hardwood, but in the kitchen linoleum gets my nod.

Countertops ... I'm leaning more and more towards quartz. Whether it's Silestone, Caesarstone ... both the same thing, made the same way out of the same stuff ... quartz offers the most "natural" look with the fewest "worries."

I have Corian in my own kitchen, and really love it ... but it works in this particular kitchen. Other styles might not look that great with Corian.

I think the danger with countertops is that we're all looking for the perfect work surface. It doesn't exist. They all have their faults. Pick one and learn to accept the shortcomings. In the end, they're all great choices.

A.

Floor: we replaced our kitchen floor about 3 years ago with a tile-look Pergo-alike by Formica. I couldn't be happier with it - it still looks new, cleans like a dream, and is soft underfoot. I go barefoot most of the time at home, so I need a floor that has some give or my feet won't take it.

I'll be following this thread to see what people like for countertops, because very high up on the list of things to do next is replace the gawdawful mauve laminate countertops the house came with. The only reason they haven't been replaced yet is that every time we finally are ready to do them, another emergency comes along that eats up the countertop fund :-(.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

We love our granite slab countertops. They look great and are sturdy and practical. In the end, my wife and I have a soft spot for natural materials.

We did look at the manmade quartz products and they seem decent too. They look good and are probably more impervious to anything. But they cost about as much as the slab granite and we liked the look of the natural stone better and we figure the granite is going to hold up just fine.

I tend not to like tile because of cleaning concerns with grout lines. I do hear they have some new grout that is waterproof which should help. But it still is a collection point for dirt and grime.

Our last countertop was formica and it looked decent even tho it was 20 years old. Certainly is practical stuff.

We have 3/4" oak flooring and we like it just fine. Holds up OK and looks good. I'm not sure what I would put into a kitchen if I was doing it from scratch, but the oak certainly wouldn't be a bad choice. Cork and bamboo both sound cool too.

On the other hand, I don't like tiles on the floor, again due to cleaning concerns.

I assume you mean wood isn't an option because the fir is too soft and you don't want to mix types of wood? Hmm. So I guess I don't have any suggestions for you on the floor.

-john

Edited by JohnN (log)

bamboo floor are overrated in my experience.

we are leaning to ceramic tile for our small urban kitchen.

edit: to add, we were considering silestone for a long time, but have found some beautiful grantite for less $$. The Quartz surfaces really can't match the weird beauty of granite, imo.

-mjr

Edited by mjr_inthegardens (log)

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I have silestone and love it. I can put hot pans directly from the stove on it...although it took some time to get used to it. I can also cut on it if I am cutting something quickly and not worry about damaging it. No need to treat it with oils or any other substance. Also comes in a wide range of colors. Wood floors, easy on the feet and legs and look good.

My father has wooden countertops near his sink and I think they have suffered from water spots. He also has dark blue, high-polish ceramic tile on the counter surrounding the cook top. They are pretty when clean, but show all grease stains and typically need to be washed, then windexed to get the shine back.

Might have missed it in your post, but what kind of cooking appliance are you contemplating?

I would go for wood floors as well, it doesn't matter if the kicthen wood doesn't match the rest of the wood in the house, just go for a blatantly contrasting finish so the two will set each other off instead of clashing.

For countertops I love the granite slabs my parents have. You can cut straght on them, put hot pans straight out of the oven or off of the stove on them, and they are quite easy to clean.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Our house is less than a year old and I did a lot of research for the kitchen (of course!).

I LOVE my granite slab countertops. They are so durable and they are absolutely gorgeous. (If only my 12 year old would stop running her fingers down them - leaving smears :wacko: .)

I have a slate floor in the kitchen and it's my favorite floor in the house. It's kind of rustic looking, and very unique. Everyone who sees it loves it.

It's also easy to keep clean and doesn't show dirt.

My brother redid his house recently and used a lot of cork tile flooring, including the kitchen.  Looks very unique, has some softness to it, all around good choice if it fits your decor.

How does it look? the Cork floor in your bro's?

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I have silestone and love it.  I can put hot pans directly from the stove on it..
For countertops I love the granite slabs my parents have.  You can cut straght on them, put hot pans straight out of the oven or off of the stove on them, and they are quite easy to clean.

I had to jump in here to comment on a common misconception about granite & quartz (Silestone, Caesarstone, etc.).

While you can put hot pots directly on these surfaces, you really shouldn't. A couple reasons

1. Temperature shock. If the pot is hot enough, or if you've just had something cold on the countertop and then put a hot pot on the same spot, you run the risk of cracking it. Most companies don't warranty temperature shock. Use a trivet!
  2. Scorching. Yes, you can burn granite. I've seen it, and it's not repairable. Silestone/Caesarstone too, since the quartz tops use polyesters to bind the quartz together and poysesters most definitely burn.

Nullo ... you must love sharpening your knives if you're cutting directly on granite with them! :laugh: Buy your folks a cutting board. It'll make a nice anniversary gift. :wink:

A.

Recently saw a magazine layout about new kitchens. One couple hired a restaurant designer to put in the kind of stainless steel countertops you see in commercial kitchens. They absolutely love it. They said they couldn't believe how easy it was to keep clean. And it has a great, sleek techno look.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It seems like there are only two considerations for flooring material, in my kitchens anyway. Comfort and cleaning.

The mexican tile floor was super from a cleaning perspective - it hid the dirt and was easy to clean. Hard as rocks, though.

The Pergo wood floor was super comfortable, easy to clean, and showed dirt/hair/grime to a moderate degree. And I loved that it was the same flooring throughout the cottage. It seemed to lessen the barrier between the kitchen and the rest of the house.

Linoeluem floor - just moved into a house with this stuff. Unfortunately, it is predominately white. :angry: Even when it is clean, it doesn't look clean. And I think I'll never really get past that in order to consider any other factor.

edit: Did I mention I have a large, black, hairy dog? Maybe I just need a large, black, hairy kitchen floor.

Edited by crouching tyler (log)

Robin Tyler McWaters

I have butcher block counter tops, a large section with a marble top for pastry and one section with stainless steel with a raised edge all around it and shallow drawers under it for holding hot packs or cold packs which is for sugar work (which I no longer do so it is usually holding a couple of large extra cutting boards.)

In the past I have had ceramic tile, Corian, granite, Formica and polished concrete countertops.

I much prefer the butcher block but it does take some work to keep it looking good. I don't mind the cut marks from using my knives on it, in fact I like the patina it develops with use.

That is my personal preference and I know it is not for everyone.

I can set hot pans on it and if it gets a scorch mark it is easy to lightly sand it out.

Dents from having a cast iron lid dropped on edge onto it can be "lifted" with a bit of steaming (done by a professional) so it looks like new again.

(A granite, tile, Corian or other rigid top would chip and that secton would need to be replaced.)

Some of the new composite quartz materials are nice and I think they are attractive and would work in certain areas of a kitchen but I would still want butcher block in my prep area.

I don't want a stylish kitchen, or a pretty kitchen. I want something that works for me and that is what I have.

I have a tile floor and do not like it. Some of the tiles are wearing at the corners which makes the floor uneven in spots. It is presently mostly covered with resiliant and conformable linoleum "rugs" which make it easier for me to roll my carts and my powered chair when I am having difficulty standing for long periods.

This material is not for permanent installation but there is a similar product which I am considering. It is much thicker than the old linoleum or vinyl and has a spongy middle layer with a semi-rigid top layer that is skid-proof, even when wet, something very important for me.

My contractor is trying to talk me into a wood floor as he has a bunch of teak he salvaged from a boatyard in Long Beach a few years ago. I have had wood floors in other kitchens and was not thrilled with them. He assures me the teak will stand up to anything I can throw at it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andi,

AFter tiles, etc. I have finally floors I can stand on for hours without my feet hurting!! The oak wood floors I now have have been coated with a kind of thin varnish which makes cleaning up a breeze.

Let me repeat: The big news is my feet never hurt while cooking!

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

I absolutely hate my tile counters. Granted, they are 25 years old and the grout lines are relatively wide by modern standards, but I cannot stand cleaning them. (They are a matte finish, so it's not the shiny factor that bothers me but the damn grout - ever tried scrubbing flour out of grout?) Yes, they're heat resistant.

We replaced the old vinyl flooring (pulling up two layers of vinyl and probably the house's original 1920's linoleum, asbestos risk or not, way down below that vinyl) with IKEA's version of Pergo (made in the same factory), which has been pretty good. It's easy on the feet and easy to clean. There are a couple of chips in the laminate where something was dropped on it, but overall it's worn well.

When we remodel (in a couple of years we hope), I want soapstone counters and linoleum on the floor.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I have silestone and love it.  I can put hot pans directly from the stove on it..
For countertops I love the granite slabs my parents have.  You can cut straght on them, put hot pans straight out of the oven or off of the stove on them, and they are quite easy to clean.

I had to jump in here to comment on a common misconception about granite & quartz (Silestone, Caesarstone, etc.).

While you can put hot pots directly on these surfaces, you really shouldn't. A couple reasons

1. Temperature shock. If the pot is hot enough, or if you've just had something cold on the countertop and then put a hot pot on the same spot, you run the risk of cracking it. Most companies don't warranty temperature shock. Use a trivet!
  2. Scorching. Yes, you can burn granite. I've seen it, and it's not repairable. Silestone/Caesarstone too, since the quartz tops use polyesters to bind the quartz together and poysesters most definitely burn.

Nullo ... you must love sharpening your knives if you're cutting directly on granite with them! :laugh: Buy your folks a cutting board. It'll make a nice anniversary gift. :wink:

A.

Thanks for the warning....I'll go back to trivets...

we have 100 year old douglas fir on our kitchen floors. it is warm and beautiful. it is scarred and blemished and we love it. i spend long hours dipping chocolates and dripping chocolate on the floor and while my feet don't hurt from the work, my knees hurt from scrubbing chocolate out of the seams. still love the floor though. when i drop a dish it bounces and almost never breaks.

i hear a lot about wood not being good in a kitchen because of water and i wonder who leaves a puddle on the floor long enough for it to cause damage?

trish