• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tofu

M. Lucia

Despite being a vegetarian for two years and continuing to maintain a primarily meat free diet, I had never cooked tofu until recently. I just never liked to eat the stuff.

I picked up some homemade extra firm the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. The best thing I found to do with it was cube it, marinate it in soy sauce/vinegar/ginger/garlic, then toss in a stir fry. My favorite combination was with snow peas and mushrooms, adding the marinade liquid to create a sauce.

I also tried baking strips of it, but didn't like that as much.

So what are your favorite tofu recipes?

Also any advice on handling/ keeping it from sticking to the pan.

(remember tofu can be enjoyed by non-vegetarians!)

One thing I've found really useful is to press slices of tofu before marinating them. I just put them between two plates and weigh the top plate down with some cans. Putting a clean dish towel between the tofu and the lower plate helps extract some water. Marinating is definitely good. I recently used some miso-sake-mirin marinade, the type you use for fish, and pan-fried it. It got a very nice glaze on it.

I had fried tofu yesterday where they fried it really crispy and served it with a peanut sweet chili sauce. That was yummy.

I like to fry it and serve it with diakon and shreded carrot soy sauce sesame oil and seasame seeds.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Tofu you say? It's a national treasure in Korea.

1. Sliced into 1/3" think squares or rectangles and "fried" in a little oil, seasoned with salt. (my kids prefer it this way)

2. Fried and served with a dipping sauce of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, scallions and red pepper flakes.

3. It goes into Korean dwenjang chigae (fermented bean paste stew)

4. I cut it into small cubes and add it miso soups (kids prefer this to the super funky Korean chigae).

5. Stuffed tofu. Slice 1 1/2" thick rectangles of tofu, slice in half but not all the way through, stuff with seasoned ground beef, dip in egg and shallow fry.

6. Bejee. Soak dry soy beans in water overnight, grind in blender with water, put into a pot, add kimchi and pork or beef and cook.

7. Use as a "filler" for meat patties or dumpling fillings. The finished product is more tender, lighter and healthier.

8. Soontofu or Soondoobu. A volcanic stew. You can make add vegetables, seafood or meat.

9.Steamed Soondoobu. Yes, there is a dish called soondoobu and a very soft, custard like version of tofu. Steam and drizzle with seasoned soy sauce.

10. Mapo Tofu. Chinese I know but it's super popular in Korea.

11. Tofu "salad". (Japanese inspired). Silken tofu on lettuce, topped with shave bonito

and drizzled with miso salad dressing.

12. Of course it can be added to any number of stir fried dishes, soups and stews.

I have been pressing my tofu, it's a good technique.

Jensen, could you share your ma po tofu recipe?

Or anyone else who has a good one...

tuareg:

"1. Sliced into 1/3" think squares or rectangles and "fried" in a little oil, seasoned with salt. "

Does this mean deep or shallow fried?

Do you serve it alone? What are your favorite accompaniements?

"dwenjang chigae (fermented bean paste stew)"

This sounds wonderful? Could you elaborate?

Any favorite salad combinations out there?

I like greens, shaved carrots, marinated tofu and tamari almonds.

Thanks, everyone. Keep 'em coming.

Jensen, could you share your ma po tofu recipe?

Or anyone else who has a good one...

I slightly modified a recipe that I found on the Cooking Light website (current password is LIVEWELL). The basic ingredients are below but the directions are mine.

1 pound firm tofu, cut into 6 slices (or, 4 slices for me, due to the shape of the tofu I buy)

1/2 cup chicken broth

1 tablespoon cornstarch

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon oyster sauce

1 to 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)

4 ounces ground pork (I used a boneless, skinless chicken thigh, minced)

1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger

3 garlic cloves, minced

Press the tofu for about 30 minutes and then cut into smallish cubes.

Combine the broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili garlic sauce, stirring until well combined.

Cook the meat (pork or chicken, whichever you use) until done, breaking it up so that it's crumbly. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for a minute or so. Add the tofu cubes and cook until they're lightly browned. Pour in the broth mixture and cook just long enough for it to thicken.

I served it over steamed rice. I also prefer mine a little hotter than what this makes so I spiced it up a bit.

For a real cheat, you can just buy the Lee Kum Kee ma po tofu sauce in a little foil packet.

The way I make ma po tofu is with Chinese garlic chili paste and Chinese fermented bean paste (the name escapes me now, but I'm sure someone else here will give it a proper name). I've seen recipes with black bean paste and some with no fermented pastes added at all.

I take a tablespoon each of the chili paste and bean paste and "fry" it in a little oil. I add a 1/2 a pound of ground beef (I don't eat pork, which is probably more traditional), cook

for a few minutes, add bamboo shoots, waterchestnuts and about 1/4 cup of water, cook

untill the meat is done, finish the sauce by adding some cornstarch. I don't know if this is traditionally Chinese at all, but it's the one I grew up eating.

As for the fried tofu, it means shallow fried. The amount of oil I use depends on my mood and the state of my girlish figure :wink: . I've prepared it with a spray oil or just enough oil to coat the pan.

Deep fried tofu is delicious too!

I am not a fan of firm tofu unless they are deep fried tofu pockets. Most of the time we would use silk tofu or deep fried tofu pockets. My favourite way to come up with a super fast dinner is mapo tofu made with silk tofu, bottled sauce, ground pork, and green onion. I know it is not traditional but whatever........

I don't make it but I have to order agedashi tofu each time I go for sushi - fried cubes of tofu with a great dipping sauce (not sure what's in it.. I think soy, mirin, sugar, ginger, scallions... I don't know what else)

Korean dwenjang chigae-

The most basic recipe is as follows.

6 cups water

2 tablespoons or more to taste of dwenjang paste or denjang paste (available at a Korean market near you or online)

1/2 pound firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes.

To this you can add other vegetables such as zucchini, onions, potatoes, and jalapeno peppers (Koreans love this pepper). You can also add uncured pork belly or beef.

I prefer to make mine with a Korean white beef stock as the base, but plain old water is fine.

Thanks for the recipes everyone, I can't wait to try some of them!

Ma po tofu sounds approachable- a good excuse to buy fermented bean paste (great stuff).

Yuki, do you have any preferred recipe using silken tofu?

I have to add that primary to my recent discovery, I did love the smoked tofu sold at the Union Square Greenmarket (Korean farmers). It is so good, but also a bit pricey. They also sell a great spicy tofu with tomatoes and peppers.

The local delis also sell chana masala and other Indian dishes with tofu.

Looking forward to hearing more!

My favorite way to eat tofu is chilled with a condiment like bonito flakes and a little shoyu (soy sauce) poured on top. I do this with tofu fresh from the tofu factory not tofu in sealed plastic tubs from the grocery store. I find there's a substantial difference in flavor, at least in the types I've tried, and that regular grocery store tofu tastes pretty nasty unless you use it in a cooked dish. Few flavors make me happier than that of good fresh tofu. For the other type, my vote is for agedashi tofu (fried cubes). I'm not much of a fan of stir-fries.

Believe it or not, I had a plate of tofu, an entire cake, right in front of me on my desk here when I opened this thread. So, here's a photo. Will add some shoyu. It's a post-workout snack--I need to eat lots of calories to maintain my weight so this is probably a double or triple portion.

gallery_10138_538_4715.jpg

I wonder about the smoked tofu sold by Korean farmers. Smoked todu is not a Korean thing, neither are tomatoes and peppers. But as I always say if it tastes good I don't care where it comes from.

Feedback please M. Lucia on these tofu preparations.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

Yuki, do you have any preferred recipe using silken tofu?

1.) put a mixture of chopped mushroom, and dried scallop on it then steamed

2.) Freeze them so they will turn into a sponge when defrosted. They will be good in absorbing any dish with lots of sauce/gravy or use it in a hot pot.

3.) Deep frying them serve with chili sauce or Japanese style with bonito flakes, soya sauce, ginger, and green onion

4.) Cut them into little cubes and place them in some clear broth or miso soup

If you can get really good fresh silk tofu, then just eat them plain with some soya sauce, ginger, and wasabi.

I wonder about the smoked tofu sold by Korean farmers. Smoked todu is not a Korean thing, neither are tomatoes and peppers. But as I always say if it tastes good I don't care where it comes from.

I think it might be from Shanghai since there are so many cold dishes that use tofu and tofu product. The vegetarian duck which is basically sheets of bean curd soaking up some yummy sauce. Firm smoked tofu is commonly used in cold appetizer plate or in stir fry.

Tofu (doobu) is so important to my family that we often make it fresh at home.

How do you make fresh tofu? Is it hard??

It's not hard at all. it's sort of like making cheese, but easier. I recall Tokrakris did an egullet program on making tofu. If I'm mistaken I would be more than glad to get into the specifics here. Just let me know.

I just buy it, so I am not sure as to the specifics. They definitely make their tofu products themelves, and it certainly seems to be smoked. By peppers, I meant hot peppers, btw, and they could have picked up influences elsewhere. I think they also sell some kimchi mixes.

I will ask next time I go, though they don't speak much english.

Beautiful photo, and thanks Yuki. I am loving all these ideas!

Edited by M. Lucia (log)

In Los Angeles, the Koreans operate a lot of Chinese restaurants west of the San Gabriel Valley. If you go to Little Tokyo in downtown LA a lot of the restaurants are operated by Koreans, further west increasingly so.

When my family gets together we make a mix of "authentic" Korean dishes and "Pan-Asian" dishes. We just love good food. The smoked tofu sounds delicious.