• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lime flavored colas

alacarte

I haven't seen this yet... I have to admit I was dissapointed in the Diet Coke with Lime though, I much preferred the lemon version. However, neither can come close to the Diet Coke with Vanilla, which is just purely great stuff.

On a related note: I am wondering how long it will take Coke to realize that Coke with Mint would be a total hit.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I haven't seen this yet... I have to admit I was dissapointed in the Diet Coke with Lime though, I much preferred the lemon version.  However, neither can come close to the Diet Coke with Vanilla, which is just purely great stuff.

On a related note:  I am wondering how long it will take Coke to realize that Coke with Mint would be a total hit.

Coke with Mint? Ick. I could go for Coke with Orange or Coke with Chocolate, though,

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Mmm.. Coke with orange sounds like it could be great. So does this new-fangled regular Coke with lime. That is my soda of choice, actually. Regular Coke with freshly squeezed lime. If it even comes close, it will certainly be a convenient replacement. I now must engage in a quest to find the magical exlixir.

We tried it. Peter cracked the bottle warm. It was awful. It was better over ice, but it's not something I'd write home about. I'm a coke classic fan (or dr. pepper). We can't do diet in our house because of Heidi; potential interference with her AED's (anti-epilepsy drugs).

I plan to pick up a bottle and fully chill it before consuming before I come to a definite opinion.

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I haven't seen this yet... I have to admit I was dissapointed in the Diet Coke with Lime though, I much preferred the lemon version.  However, neither can come close to the Diet Coke with Vanilla, which is just purely great stuff.

On a related note:  I am wondering how long it will take Coke to realize that Coke with Mint would be a total hit.

Coke with Mint? Ick. I could go for Coke with Orange or Coke with Chocolate, though,

:raz: That's because you've actually tried those. I've been to a Johnny Rocket's with you, Perlow, I've seen it (for those not in the know, Johnny Rocket's has syrups they will mix into a standard soda on demand).

Actually, on second thought, Rocket's has orange soda but not orange syrup. The syrups, as I recall, are cherry, chocolate, vanilla and lemon. I favor Orange soda with Cherry, Chocolate Coke, and Vanilla 7Up, personally.

Most people wouldn't think those things would work, but... well... they do.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I've never had Coke with mint syrup, but try taking an ice gold glass of coke and muddling some fresh mint leaves in it for a while, it is actually really good.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

I was at Target yesterday and I bought a fountain diet coke. I was surprised to see they had syrups. Chocolate, Cherry and rasberry to give your soda a squirt of flavor. I used the chocolate and it was yum.

* going off to look for diet cherry vanilla dr. pepper*

Back to Coke with Lime (the non-diet formula). I bought a 6 pack (on sale at the superette). Chilled it to really cold. Poured it over ice and drank the rest right out of the can.

This is not bad. I like it. Somehow, the lime makes the bubbles seem "sharper" and in a good way.

I will buy this again. Preferably in the cans, not those bottles (the smaller bottles, not the 2 litre size) because it's especially good when it's really fizzy.

I should add that I don't do diet. I don't do Cherry. I don't do Vanilla. The only pop I choose beside Classic Coke is Dr. Pepper.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I had Coke with Lime over the weekend in Nashville, TN. After having tried Pepsi with Lime in Mexico about 3 years ago, I had high hopes. I have to say that I was completely underwhelmed. I couldn't detect the lime flavor at all. My wife, who is a Diet Coke with Lime fanatic, agreed. Whatever lime flavor was present certainly did not stand out at all.

I might buy it one more time just to make sure that I didn't get a bad bottle, but it will most likely not be a regular purchase.

Fred Jauss

Rockville, MD

I tried my first Coke wit Lime today at work, the sandwich shop/cafeteria had some recently delivered in the 20oz plastic bottles.

I have to side with Fred -- the lime taste is barely noticeable, it is extremely subtle and you really have to concentrate to notice it. In this case I have to say that the diet product, at least in execution, is a better product if you are looking for that lime/cola taste.

This is not to say I won't purchase the product again, but its barely distinguishable from regular Coke Classic.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 1 month later...

I tried regular Coke with Lime this weekend and had a couple thoughts...

I was surprised that the lime flavor was so subdued. I would have thought it would have been more pronounced like the lemon is in Pepsi Twist.

The other thought I had was how similar it tasted to...wait for it...Pepsi's Holiday Spice! Has anyone else noticed the similarity? Does anyone have access to both colas for a side-by-side comparison (like a blind taste test)?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We tried the Coke with Lime this weekend and weren't terribly impressed. It didn't taste like the Holiday Spice version IMO, but it was too sweet and rather bland, with a faint taste of lime lollipops.

I would rather have a tangier taste of real lime juice and peel, not lime candy.

Verdict: Vanilla Coke is much better, with Pepsi Twist a distant second. I haven't tasted the Coke with Lemon.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

I got a 12 pack of coke with lime about a month ago (at Target I think). I agree with the others that the lime is too subdued. I think a squeeze of real lime would be much better/

Jenny, I used to buy diet cherry coke as my alternative to diet coke but when all I drank for years was diet soda. I seem to remember that I could only find it in 2 liters though. It seems like I still see it from time to time on the shelves.

Just spotted today, something we knew inevitably would come (because Coke has one), Pepsi Lime.

I only found it in 2 liter size, and only in non-Diet, but I'm assuming this is really early in the roll-out.

The verdict? I'm going to have to wait to taste the Diet version to say for sure. The non-Diet seems okay, but I don't have the experience of the non-Diet Coke with Lime yet to compare it to. The lime taste does seem subtly different from the Coke implementation, but then again it may be kind of an "Apples to Oranges" comparison between Diet Coke with Lime to non-Diet Pepsi Lime.

It WOULD be a first if between the two Diet versions the Coke turns out to be better, because frankly in my book Diet Pepsi variants always win (although as a caveat so do non-Diet Coke versions)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The Diet Coke with Lime is a very solid product, but then again, so is Diet Pepsi Twist.

I didn't like it one bit. I've been a bit cloistered these past few months, and wasn't aware that there was a lime coke on the market. Mind you, I LOVE classic coke.

I bought a bottle unknowingly, and thought I was drinking regular coke. All of a sudden, this aspartame-y, faux lime comes across my palate which stopped me dead in my tracks; I stopped drinking, and picked up the bottle. It said "classic coke", but then I noticed a lime-green colored cap, so I put two and two together. I felt as if I had been duped. I threw the rest of the bottle out.

Why can't they just leave a good thing alone?????

Audrey

Diet Coke with a splash of Rose's Lime Juice is much better.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I like the subtle hint of lime. Less astringent than the lemon Cokes that were out a while back (or was it lemon Pepsi?). It's far better than the bottles of cherry Coke. Those are just unbearable. I accidentally grabbed a cherry Coke a few days ago. I at least won a free Coke product with the bottle cap, so I could ditch the cherry nausea and get the real thing...

I've just switched back to Coke after drinking Pepsi for the last 4 or 5 years. I think Coke in general is a better product, with better flavor and carbonation. Again, except for the cherry. I've had them from fountains with the fountain Coke and a shot of cherry syrup ( or whatever they use), and they are great. The bottled ones are simply horrid.

edited for typos

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I still love the diet coke with lemon, much more so than the lime, but it is getting harder and harder to find, I hope it isn't being pulled from the market. Of course, you can't go into it expecting it to taste like real lemon, but if you imagine you are drinking diet coke mixed with pledge it is pretty darn refreshing (and less lethal).

It does seem like both Coke and Pepsi are doing loads of flavor rollouts lately. The Coffee Coke could be pretty tasty, I loved Pepsi Kona while it was out a while ago... heck, when they took it off the market I even tried to recreate it by filling the water resevoir in a drip coffee maker with pepsi and letting things run their course... (that didn't go so well).

What other cool flavors could they come up with? Personally, I think virgin versions of alcoholic drinks could be fun, plus offer some cool branding opportunities. Coke with Bacardi, Coke with Jack, Dr. Pepper with Jaegermeister, the list goes on... I mean, I'm sure liquor flavored syrups can't be that hard to make.

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

The Coffee Coke could be pretty tasty, I loved Pepsi Kona while it was out a while ago... heck, when they took it off the market I even tried to recreate it by filling the water resevoir in a drip coffee maker with pepsi and letting things run their course... (that didn't go so well).

No, I'd imagine not... was the coffee maker still usable afterwards? Funny image. Anyway, for coffee cola, I'd try adding coffee syrup to Coke. A lot less messy.

What other cool flavors could they come up with?  Personally, I think virgin versions of alcoholic drinks could be fun, plus offer some cool branding opportunities.  Coke with Bacardi, Coke with Jack, Dr. Pepper with Jaegermeister, the list goes on...  I mean, I'm sure liquor flavored syrups can't be that hard to make.

I don't know about the technical issues, but they'd be a marketing nightmare. You'd have people screaming left and right about how Coke was seducing kids with the demon rum; it'd make Joe Camel look like the Care Bears. Or something like that.