• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taro Sushi

peter_nyc

zeitoun - I think I was there while you were - I was the solo diner at the corner of the bar reading the Sun. (I believe you, too, had walked from Smith St. I'm on Hoyt and this is my "local".)

I usually do sushi by the piece and was just stopping in for a quick nosh, but the regular sushi chef/owner was out (totally spacing on his name). They usually have fish from Tsukiji (the horse mackerel is fantastic), but didn't have any of those offerings on that night.

I instead opted for the three-roll combo and the new chef's did very well. I was worried that the quality may lapse when the head chef is out, but they seemed to do a very good job. (Slightly too large pieces of salmon in the salmon roll, but not too-much of a complaint when you're already going the Americanized route. And the fish is always of high quality.) However, I have had the ankimo probably a dozen times and I have never had a dry one - it's usually perfectly cooked and nice and moist. My fiancee is addicted to it - we always split an order. I urge for you to return when the owner is back. I'll remember his name and post it - he's usually there on Thursday-Saturday, I believe, but on random weekdays when I've gone he's always been there, too.

Funny, I remember vividly seeing you!! It's good to know that Taro could even be better. I'd love to go back (and probably will regularly) even if it is for a 3 roll combo!

As for the Ankimo, it may well be that my previous experiences with it was always that of it having a moist and creamy texture. Very foie gras like in a way. Whenever my wife and I get our hands on it at our fishmarket, we usually sear it at high temperature just the way it is, no longer than 1 to 2 minutes depending on thickness. I never ate it steamed before which is how they make it at Taro, I feel steaming kind of dries it a little.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

I can't profess enough my affections for Taro! My companions and I are regulars, mostly stopping by for or taking in lunch. Last evening my mother came to town so we all went for Taro. The omakase was divine as usual, mostly traditional Japanese preparations except for the occasional funky item like salmon sushi topped with a sliver of avocado and a dollop of sevruga caviar. I love this place!