• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: '00 Cuilleras Visan/'95 Heitz Bella

Redwinger

2000 Olivier Cuilleras Visan VV

This is very, very nice. I picked up a single bottle of this on a retailer's recommendation a few years ago and kinda lost track of it in the cellar until this week.

The label simply mentions this is a Grenache/Syrah blend (I'm guessing this is at least 85% Grenache). The nose had very little of the Rhoney funk, so NJ enjoyed this wine as much as I did. Clear, bright cherry/red fruit with hints of anise and pepper. The cleansing/fresh acidity, a lingering follow and no discernable oak made this a perfect match to the hastily thrown together dinner of a tomato and basil based shrimp/pasta dish we enjoyed while the local plumber worked to replace our water heater which experienced a very premature death on Saturday. I think he ultimately earned enough to send his first born to an Ivy League school for a year.

BTW, it threw a bit of sediment so careful pouring/decanting is recommended.

This is my first Cuilleras, but I'll definitely be looking for more stuff from them in the future.

A Robert Kacher Selection priced at ~$15 IIRC.

1995 Heitz Bella Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon

Appears dense and dark in the stem showing absolutely no signs of its' age. Full bodied, with plum and other black fruits, tending toward the slightly sweet side, dominating the nose and palate. Little, if any, secondary flavors except for a suggestion of cedar/cigar box. Tannins are still pretty firmly in control, which along with the primary foward fruit suggests there is no hurry to drink these up. OTOH, I wouldn't bet the ranch that it will improve with additional time either.

Not a bad wine, just not a great wine. I think the asking price on this was ~$55. For that kind of money, I'd much rather have 4 bottles of the Cuilleras.

Redwinger

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"