• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1999 Gilles Robin Crozes-Hermitage

Brad Ballinger

1999 Gilles Robin "Cuvee Alberic Bouvet" Crozes-Hermitage. Oh, how wonderful that syrah can be made in this way. This wasn't even close to being a brooding, jammy, overly funky wine. The nose gave off aromas of olives, nettles and blueberries -- all very clean, nothing "dirty" here at all. When the wine hit my tongue, I was greeting by vibrant acidity and bright blueberry and blackberry fruits. Spice, mineral earthiness, and grilled mushrooms quickly followed. Although complex in its flavor profile, the wine never approached the point to where it felt its mission was to leave its mark in every corner of my mouth. The acidity was so bright and playful that this wine tantalized more than it attacked. The finish was bright and clean. My impression is that in might slightly improve with another year, but it's quite approachable now. This is also a wine I would pair with roast fowl before something "heavier" like leg of lamb or short ribs.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero