• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Satay Sarinah

spaghetttti

Tonight we had dinner at Satay Sarinah, quite a little gem located in the Van Dorn Station strip mall in Alexandria. I remember several enjoyable visits to its earlier incarnation on Wisconsin Avenue, Georgetown. Sarinah's menu is quite extensive, and although we didn't order it this time, Sarinah offers rijsttafel, which is a five-course meal which includes soup, appetizer, salad, a vast array of entrees and dessert.

gallery_11814_606_1105665317.jpg

gallery_11814_606_1105665539.jpg

gallery_11814_606_1105665511.jpg

gallery_11814_606_1105666409.jpg

gallery_11814_606_1105665487.jpg

gallery_11814_606_1105665448.jpg

We started off with Nasi Goreng Sarinah/Sarinah Fried Rice with chicken. Very tasty!

gallery_11814_606_1105665423.jpg

Gado-Gado, vegetables in peanut sauce. Nicely spiced, but a bit too sweet for me.

gallery_11814_606_1105665398.jpg

This is a plate of Nasi Rames, (a meat & three :raz: ). I loved this -- the steamed rice was accompanied by opor ayam (stewed on-the-bone chicken in a yellow coconut sauce), two skewers of satay, one chicken and one beef, stir-fried green beans, telur balado (deep-fried, halved hard boiled egg with a very hot red chili sambal) and krupuk (shrimp crackers).

gallery_11814_606_1105665368.jpg

A bowl of gulai kambing, a lamb curry -- very hot but packed with spicy flavor.

gallery_11814_606_1105665344.jpg

Es Teler was a nice and cool ending to a delicious meal.

Satay Sarinah

512-A South Van Dorn Street

Alexandria, VA 22304

703 - 370 4313

www.sataysarinah.com

It's a cozy, casual place with warm and friendly service.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

That looks really good. Puts me in mind of the fantastic rijsttafels we used to enjoy when we lived in Amsterdam. Indonesian seems to be one ethnic cuisine that hasn't had much of a shake in the DC area. Compared to, say, the nearby neighbors over the border in Malaysia, where there's at least a spectrum running all the way from the very good (Malaysia Kopitiam) to the bloody awful (Penang.) I'd like to try Satay Sarinah sometime, but would also be interested to know if there any other decent options that you know of?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I also used to enjoy rijsaffels (rice table) in Indonesian restaurants in Holland. My favorite was at a place called Bali in Breda. The multiple entrees (about 12 to 15)were served in smallish dishes with enough for all at the table to have a taste, kind of like asian tapas. Hot bananas for dessert. The table was literally covered with these small dishes. I'd be interested to know what is served with rijstaffel at Sarinah.

There is also a place up in Wheaton with rijsaffel. Can't remember the name right now, but when I drive by it next I'll check. THey offered approx 7-8 small plates, brought out at once, with sides of rice if I recall correctly. This was followed by dessert.

The place in Wheaton is called Sabang. It's on Ennalls Ave and has been around for a while. I don't know if it's any good, but do seem to recall it has occasionally cropped up in discussions here with a "not what it used to be" qualifier.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.