• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Intensity

Florida Jim

Intensity is a word I often associate with fine wine.

To me, it speaks to the power of the aromas and flavors in wine; as distinguished from “concentration” which includes an element of texture. Intensity is all about smell and taste and their impact on the senses.

Several years ago, I had my first 1996 Hirtzberger, Riesling Singerrriedel Smaragd. It was at lunch on the porch at our home in the NC mountains; I remember it so clearly that I can describe the light through the trees at the moment we sat down to eat. The taste of that wine galvanized that moment in my mind and it was only the first of many Austrian wines that have wound-up in my cellar and on my table.

So, when Carolina Wine recently offered this wine on sale (at a much reduced price) I bought all they had. When it arrived, I noticed some leaking bottles; I called them and they immediately gave me credit for the suspect bottles but told me to keep them.

And so, last night, when Diane wanted a white wine to cook with, I opened one of the suspect bottles. I re-corked it after she took what she needed and left it on the counter.

Today, for lunch, we drank the remainder.

It is better than ever; rounder but still every bit as intense with greater depth and complexity; powerful scents of pineapple, resin and mineral; wonderful density on the palate; a great wine regardless of appearances.

And if you ask me six months from now, what kind of day it was when Diane and I drank this bottle, I will be able to tell you that it was clear, breezy and there were high, wispy clouds; that the light that came in the windows reflected on the coffee table in such a way that it looked like glass; that her hair style was so attractive that I could not keep from staring; that the music was Sting’s latest album . . . and so on, and so on.

Intensity is unforgettable.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com