• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1983 Smith & Woodhouse Port...

davidbdesilva

After having it for about 10 years, I finally cracked open my 1983 Smith & Woodhouse Port on New Year's day with my family and it was well worth the wait. Described as "lighter in style" it was indeed lighter than others I've had (such as my favorite, Grahams, which is incredibly viscous) but it was still medium bodied. Very enjoyable port that I picked up at a reasonable price 10 years ago (around $35 I think) and rated a 90. Vintage port is a beatiful thing and defintely worth waiting for! :biggrin:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

After having it for about 10 years, I finally cracked open my 1983 Smith & Woodhouse Port on New Year's day with my family and it was well worth the wait. Described as "lighter in style" it was indeed lighter than others I've had (such as my favorite, Grahams, which is incredibly viscous) but it was still medium bodied. Very enjoyable port that I picked up at a reasonable price 10 years ago (around $35 I think) and rated a 90. Vintage port is a beatiful thing and defintely worth waiting for!  :biggrin:

I have a bottle of the 1977 Smith Woodhouse that I'm holding for my 60th birthday in 2009. I bought it in 1981 for $12.99.

I know that S-W is considered a second tier port house, but at 32 years old (in 2009) it ought to be grand. :biggrin:

David

After having it for about 10 years, I finally cracked open my 1983 Smith & Woodhouse Port on New Year's day with my family and it was well worth the wait. Described as "lighter in style" it was indeed lighter than others I've had (such as my favorite, Grahams, which is incredibly viscous) but it was still medium bodied. Very enjoyable port that I picked up at a reasonable price 10 years ago (around $35 I think) and rated a 90. Vintage port is a beatiful thing and defintely worth waiting for!  :biggrin:

I have a bottle of the 1977 Smith Woodhouse that I'm holding for my 60th birthday in 2009. I bought it in 1981 for $12.99.

I know that S-W is considered a second tier port house, but at 32 years old (in 2009) it ought to be grand. :biggrin:

David

I love buying "second tier" bargains, because that's what they are, bargains for excellent wine. Smith & Woodhouse is excellent port at a fraction of what other "first tier" ports cost, good premier cru Chablis is excellent, again at a fraction of what the grand cru's run, 2nd growth Bordeaux's are another example, a fraction of what a 1st growth costs but excellent wines nonetheless. Your '77 should be wonderfully smooth and delicious by 2009 and a grand way to welcome your 60th. :smile:

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I welcomed my 40th birthday (in 1989) with a dinner where I served (among other wines) my last bottle of 1970 BV George de Latours Private Reserve. At 19 years old it was in absolute peak condition and perfection. One of my top wine memories. :biggrin:

David