• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver's Best New Restaurants of 2004

Daddy-A

This morning's Sun offers up its own version of "The Best New Restaurants of 2004" (pp C12-C15). Mia Stansby comes to the amazing conclusion that "eithnic fusion" is hot. It's hard hitting journalism like that that keeps the Sun at the top of its game :wacko: .

The predictable (IMO) #1 went to Chambar. I can't disagree with the nod, but it didn't make me want to read any further. So I didn't ... other than to give you the runner-ups (in order of publication):

• Go Fish!
  • Zen Fine Chinese Cuisine
  • Also Lounge
  • Rangoli
  • Shiru Bay/Chopstick Cafe
  • Toshi Sushi
  • Cassis
  • Pair Bistro
  • Relish
  • Tamarind
  • Clove (Denman St.)

Amazing (or not?) how many of these we've already discussed.

Thoughts? Comments? Any that should or shouldn't have been included?

A.

Edited by Daddy-A (log)

my vote is based on the 8am to 11am timeslot of dining:

cindy's new cafe in west van.

took over from ken brooks' marine drive space. nothing shishi about it, but my goodness, they can lay out a sweet breakfast spread, plus they treat their regulars like gold.

early in the morning with a two year old in tow, bacon and breakfast sausages taste better than pancetta and the best kind of wurst.

plenty crayons.

cheap as sin.

ed.

http://waiterblog.com

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran over a November 04 Enroute magazine (thankfully did not have to fly Air Canada to get a look) and they had come out with their top 10 new restaraunts in Canada. BC and Quebec duked it out for the most number of entrants in the top 10 with each getting 4 spaces.

The vancouver entrants were Cru, Feenie's, and Aurora Bistro.

Surprised at Chambar not making the grade. Have only been to Aurora and found the food very sweet (fruits and vanilla seemed to find their way into everything). Have heard good things about Cru, mixed on Feenie's.

Just ran over a November 04 Enroute magazine (thankfully did not have to fly Air Canada to get a look)

You're kidding right?

Did you also eat a three ounce portion of beef stroganoff with a spork while reading the magazine on tv tray in the most uncomfortable chair in your house? If you'd like, I'll gladly send my kids over to kick the back of your chair while dining to fully recreate the mile high experience.

Who willingly reads En Route? I drag "in case of emergency, break seal" Tolstoy on board, just on the outside chance we're delayed and I run out of reading material. I've been known to read half a page of text, realize I'm reading the french side of the page, and really not feel the need to go back and read the english version to find out what I missed regarding the crafts of the Inuit on Baffin Island.

Now the Skymall catalogue on US flights, that's some good reading. You can kill half the flight to LA reworking the inspirational slogans of the "Successories" posters to more accurately reflect workplace attitudes. Spend the other half price comparing glow in the dark dog leashes and those hyper-cool vacuums that suck up spiders and boom, you're surrounded by palm trees and drive-by shootings.

Just ran over a November 04 Enroute magazine (thankfully did not have to fly Air Canada to get a look)

You're kidding right?

Did you also eat a three ounce portion of beef stroganoff with a spork while reading the magazine on tv tray in the most uncomfortable chair in your house? If you'd like, I'll gladly send my kids over to kick the back of your chair while dining to fully recreate the mile high experience.

Who willingly reads En Route? I drag "in case of emergency, break seal" Tolstoy on board, just on the outside chance we're delayed and I run out of reading material. I've been known to read half a page of text, realize I'm reading the french side of the page, and really not feel the need to go back and read the english version to find out what I missed regarding the crafts of the Inuit on Baffin Island.

Now the Skymall catalogue on US flights, that's some good reading. You can kill half the flight to LA reworking the inspirational slogans of the "Successories" posters to more accurately reflect workplace attitudes. Spend the other half price comparing glow in the dark dog leashes and those hyper-cool vacuums that suck up spiders and boom, you're surrounded by palm trees and drive-by shootings.

Keith - you're killing me! :laugh::laugh:

I actually found the magazine in my bathroom - someone had left it as "reading" material. That being said - Jamie Maw was listed as a "foodie" contributor - though I could not find any direct contribution from him.

Off topic here - but they had to remove a man from my flight home from Toronto on Westjet because he thought that me and my co-worker were undercover policemen following him and he needed to move to more private seating. It was kind of sad - but this guy set off everybody's radar. Still - it was much much better than flying Air Canada - they are so incredibly awful.

Anyways - I just wanted to add my two cents worth on what were considered the best new places in Vancouver.

Now that's the Keith we know and love! :laugh:

canucklehead et al, if you're looking for more discussion on that issue of en Route (which apparently nobody reads), the original post is here.

A.

The Keith you know and love flagrantly flaunts his distain for correctly used punctuation, spelling and grammar? Contrubutes nothing outside of off topic cheap shot snarks? That's just wrong.

But true, nonetheless. :raz:

A.

The Keith you know and love flagrantly flaunts his distain for correctly used punctuation, spelling and grammar? Contrubutes nothing outside of off topic cheap shot snarks? That's just wrong.

Just promise not to stop, you always have me in stitches ... keep the comments flowing!