• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: '02 Ridge Geyserville & Pagani

geo t.

-from The Ridge Report, December 2004

2002 Ridge Geyserville, 84% Zinfandel, 12% Carignane, 4% Petite Sirah, $30, 14.6% alc.: One of the inkier colored Geezers I can remember, this one is a purple garnet turning pink at the rim; it throws an effusive bubble gum, Draper perfume, raspberry, cherry and blueberry bouquet, and by bubble gum, I don't mean to demean the wine, nor am I referring to the late '60s - early '70s sub - genre of pop music. This smells young, and it tastes young too, with the very ripe, creamy smooth flavors echoing the aromas, and while the tannins are relegated to the background, they're no doubt sufficient to take this to its tenth birthday at least. (Most of the Petite Sirah was held out of the blend to keep tannins in check.) Quite honestly, this is just too young and ripe for me to really enjoy right now, with the creamy oak dominating so much. If the '97 Geyserville is any indication, this should be drinking well in about five years or so, for my tastes anyway. Your mileage may vary.

2002 Ridge Pagani Zinfandel Late Picked, 89% Zinfandel, 7% Alicante Bouschet, 4% Petite Sirah, $30, 15.8% alc.: Almost opaque purple garnet in color, this throws some noticeable heat right away on the nose, then it's all rich, overripe black raspberry, black cherry and blackberry spiced up with sweet oak that isn't exactly the Draper perfume that I know and love. The big flavors echo, with the emphasis on the overripe, and with two or three years worth of tannins. This is like a mouthful of reduced berries and cherries, almost more so than I care to taste these days; maybe it just needs time, or the right context. I'll try our second bottle in '06.

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour