• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Week, January 10th-16th, 2005

Kanishka

Hahah--I'm actually the one who posted that to DCist--the query here was searching for answers to that very same article!

K

yeah, it probably would have helped if i had even bothered to click on the link in your original post. i'm so stupid. . stupid <think chris farley show from snl>

I for one love Restaurant Week. You just have to be smart about where you go (i.e. if the places have generated positive RW comments in the past and they offer a diverse menu).

One dilemma though, do we put our reviews in this thread or the thread for the actual restaurant? Last time around I wrote pretty detailed reviews for Tosca and Ceiba in the RW thread. Now when I look at the threads for those restaurants I wish I had put them there where I think they'd be of more use.

I for one love Restaurant Week. You just have to be smart about where you go (i.e. if the places have generated positive RW comments in the past and they offer a diverse menu).

One dilemma though, do we put our reviews in this thread or the thread for the actual restaurant? Last time around I wrote pretty detailed reviews for Tosca and Ceiba in the RW thread. Now when I look at the threads for those restaurants I wish I had put them there where I think they'd be of more use.

[it's a very good question, and I think the best answer is that posts about meals enjoyed at individual restaurants should fall within the individual restaurant threads (hopefully with the clear caveat that the meal occurred at restaurant week). Things about restaurant week itself, or who's doing what, or anticipation before the meal, or a comparative analysis of the pitfalls and benefits of various restaurants during restaurant week - those can go in this thread. Nothing needs to be so terribly black-and-white, but I think these are pretty good guidelines for the best interest of the forum.

If anyone wants me to move their posts from last year into the individual restaurant threads, please PM me and I will do so. Cheers, Rocks.]

The best decision I've made since the last time I let Michel choose the wine.

Care to elaborate? Come on, Johnny, spell it out for the folks!

My anecdote: Last year a table of 4 came in, rang up a check over $500 and then wanted to argue when the check came that they should pay $30.04 for dinner. Showing them the list of participating restaurants that DID NOT include ours didn't help. This has happened every year since RW started.

Mark

The best decision I've made since the last time I let Michel choose the wine.

Care to elaborate? Come on, Johnny, spell it out for the folks!

My anecdote: Last year a table of 4 came in, rang up a check over $500 and then wanted to argue when the check came that they should pay $30.04 for dinner. Showing them the list of participating restaurants that DID NOT include ours didn't help. This has happened every year since RW started.

I am tired of arguing with people over $.50.

And the Tom Sietsema inevitable beatdowns when you do 2-3 times your normal volume in one hour and the reservation that fails to mention they were 45 minutes late bitches about how long it took to get the food. Never been in a restaurant before?

And having to keep copies of every website listing that states we are not doing dinner to keep the people that insist that we are off our backs.

There's more, but I can't remember.

Edited by John W. (log)

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Okay--I'm on a limited budget and can only hit two places during the week. I've got no dietary restrictions and neither will my dining partner, and we're both open to all types of cuisines. Here's my short list--suggestions are totally encouraged!

Charlie Palmer Steak

Ceiba

Neyla

Red Sage

Mie n Yu (??--heard mixed things)

Zola

I'm leaning toward Charlie Palmer and Ceiba; am I missing any good ones?

K

Edited by Kanishka (log)

Okay--I'm on a limited budget and can only hit two places during the week. I've got no dietary restructions and neither will my dining partner, and we're both open to all types of cuisines. Here's my short list--suggestions are totally encouraged!

Charlie Palmer Steak

Ceiba

Neyla

Red Sage

Zola

K

CP defintely. Bryan V. puts on a great show. On that list, Ceiba would be my next choice.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

To maximize value during Restaurant Week (and people wouldn't be dining out during RW if that wasn't an issue), remember that some of the places offer deals year-round as good or better than the RW specials. CP Steak does the same $20 3-course lunch and Cafe Atlantico's 3-course pre-theater menu is cheaper than the RW menu.

Okay--I'm on a limited budget and can only hit two places during the week. I've got no dietary restrictions and neither will my dining partner, and we're both open to all types of cuisines. Here's my short list--suggestions are totally encouraged!

Charlie Palmer Steak

Ceiba

Neyla

Red Sage

Zola

During the summer RW, Charlie Palmer had offered two or three set menus. I think one was a beef entree and the other was a fish entree. There may have been a chicken option. This is in contrast to other restaurants offering many choices much less anything on the regular menu for the basic price. Everyone in our group of four ultimately liked his/her food, but there was less of a sense of anticipation. We clearly had settled on a choice from among the offerings. If you're on a limited budget, this may still be the best way to try Charlie Palme. Certainly the style of the restaurant and the service makes for a lovely experience.

Karen Selwyn