• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston Restaurant Recommendations

dweller

2) Good food, hip atmosphere. Moderate-high price OK. Experimental food OK. Near nightlife for appropriate for 30-something Europeans really OK.

Jury's Doyle hotel Bar and or the Stanhope Grill, Back Bay, Boston, Berkley and Stuart Street...send me a PM and I'll give you the person to call and use my name... or tell me yours and I'll make a resy in the Grill for you...

They are one of my favorite clients (I sold them their flatware in both outlets...)

3) Excellent food, mid-high price in an atmosphere that's more restaurant than club. A place where you don't have to yell to be heard. Any and all types of cusine welcome (this is the recco for me).

"Dali" on the Cambridge Sommervile line. Tapas. Used to be one of the few places I'd wait 60+ minutes for a table...no reservations, take a taxi- not easy to drive to or via public transport.

Karen

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

1) L'Espalier.

2) Clio, Mistral, No. 9 Park.

3) Craigie St. Bistrot.

These are great recommendations. I esp. love No. 9 Park and Craigie. Since my budget rarely lets me venture into your category #1, I can't add anything there (though maybe would have included Mistral in that category--I wouldn't call it hip). Since my budget generally keeps me in your category #3, in Cambridge I would also suggest the Blue Room, Oleana, Salts, and Chez Henri. Rialto would be a slightly more high-end option.

Re: OwnRewards recs, Dali is fun and delicious, but can be a long wait and usually very loud.

Must be nice work to have places like this on your "to do" list, Busboy!

No. 9 Park could easily fall into your category #2 or #3. I used to stop there when I was in Boston on business frequently. I highly recommend it. Fantastic service, excellent food, sophisticated cocktails, great wine list. The chefs tasting menus are also worth considering. It is located across the Boston Common from the 4 Seasons--just beneath the Massachusetts State House.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

1) Aujourd'hui in the Four Seasons or Radius.

2) No. 9, but only the bar side. The Butcher Shop or B&G Oyster in the South End (no, I'm not a whore for Barbara Lynch! :biggrin: ) Also in the South End - Union, Sibling Rivalry, Pho Republique. The South End is a very cool part of town with plenty of nightlife.

Ethnic - you're right near Chinatown. Pho Hoa for pho, Noodle Alcove for hand drawn noodles (get nothing else there). Pho Hoa Noodle Alcove

There is a little place called Ida's just off of Hanover St. in the North End that would be perfect for one on one conversation with any customer with Italian cultural underpinings. Being in Ida's is like being in an Italian family dining room. I am not Italian, but give me a pithcer of that great chilled red wine, some veal, a good salad and I might just get more creative with my family tree. Walk down Hanover st. towards Haymarket sq. and look for the sign up at about street light level on the left just as Hanover ends. I think they open at 4:30. Not fancy, but a truly great dinner experience, perfect for friendly conversation and an overall good time.

Cheers,

HC

Hi,

I'll be in Boston this weekend for three days. I'll be arriving late (around 11pm) on Friday and leaving Monday afternoon.

This means I'll be having three breakfasts, three lunches and two (possibly three if anything's open friday night) dinners.

I'll be staying in the financial district (Broad Street) but am ready to move around.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few good places to eat at...

I'm looking for quality and authenticity. Money isn't really a problem (except for truly upscale places), but I'm looking at both fancy and inexpensive places. I'd especially like to sample the best of what is typically bostonian (clams? lobster? ...baked beans?) A great sandwich place? You name it...

Also, some low-key pubs to relax in with the locals would be cool... as long as the guinness isn't too expensive!

Finally, I was wondering if there were any interesting outdoor markets... again, I'm thinking local, not touristy (so NOT the Quincy market).

Thank you so much!

Have you reviewed the many existing threads on Boston to get you started?

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

If you go to No 9 Park, I would use it for #3 and eat in the Cafe. Actually, preferably, AT the bar. I've felt cheated in the restaurant, like they have specifically geared it to a certain expense account and old money Beacon Hill set. Food is certainly decent but he atmosphere is stodgy.

The food in the Cafe is at least as good, the prices are better, and the atmosphere is less stiff. If you sit at the bar you can order off of both the Cafe and the Dinner menu. Always had great service in the Cafe (including Chef Lynch sitting at our table of two, telling us about green almonds while peeling a few for us to eat just because we asked about them when she stopped by the table). They only take reservations in the restaurant (not bar or Cafe) and it is a nice walk from the 4 Seasons.

----

For greasy spoon places near the four seasons, it depends how far you want to move. I think that one great place that is straight down Columbus from the hotel (Columbus is a diagonal cutting from Back Bay into the South End) is Charlie's Sandwich Shop. A real-live diner open since 1927 that hasn't changed much in years though the area around it has gentrified to an astounding degree. [429 Columbus Ave, about a block before you would get to Newton]

Another spot even closer to the hotel is Tim's. Now, I don't send just anyone to Tim's because it is a bit of a dive but if you are an officianado of greasy spoon food, it is THE place to go in that part of town for burgers. When we moved from Boston in August (sadly) their kitchen remodel was awaiting a final inspection but it is likely serving food by now. The clientelle is the most colorful, economically diverse in Back Bay/South End. [329 Columbus Ave, near corner of Columbus and Dartmouth]

If I think of more, I'll speak up.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Sorry...there is more.

If you have just a little bit of extra time and a decent appetite, grab a friend and go to Daily Catch (aka Calimari Cafe) in the North End. While there, get the lobster Fra Diavolo (for two) and an appetizer sized plate of black pasta aglio olio and some fried calimari. Wash it down with some thoroughly mediocre Chianti served in a plastic dixie cup. Great long lunch. Be warned, no reservations, you sit essentially in the kitchen, no bathrooms, and they only accept cash. It all adds to the charm. Also, don't be tempted to go to their other outlets...nowhere near as good. [323 Hanover, North End]

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

There are some good threads on Boston but I'll chime in specifically regarding your request.

For a decent Irish Pub that isn't too hard to get to, I would go to Matt Murphy's in Brookline. Fantastic fish and chips, good beer selection, solid wait staff and a decent atmosphere with music. [14 Harvard St, Brookline]

Southie would probably be a better spot for Irish but I never spent much time there while we lived in Boston so I can't recommend a spot.

I mention Tim's Tavern in another thread (click) which is a good spot for locals. Another nearby if you want more of a hipster doofus feel is a place called the Delux on Chandler Street. A good bar with well-made meals. [100 Chandler St, South End]

Also in the thread about Tim's I mention Daily Catch (aka Calimari Cafe) which, in my opinion, should not be missed. Also, that puts you in the North End which is certainly one of the best food neighborhoods in the city.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Also, for a late dinner on Friday night, go to the Franklin Cafe. You will need a cab from the Financial District but it isn't too far.

The Franklin has great food and the kitchen is open until 1:30am on Weekends. You will likely be dining with people from the local food-service industry (cooks, mostly). Great value, strong drinks, and really good service. [278 Shawmut, South End]

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Via Matta for Italian, Hamersley for upscale french bistro, Try Marco (its new and ) ,another late nite is Stella on Washington. Brunch, I like the Blue Room. These are just off the top of my head. Restaurant L at Louis Boston ids cool for lunch,(haven't tried dinner there yet). I'll stop here.

Depends. If you want something fast and fantastic with little atmosphere I would go to Mei Sum Bakery (formerly Mix Bakery) for a Bahn Mi. Order it hot to get some nice slices of bird chilis. Carot, cuke, and fresh cilantro. Great french roll (although I've heard they changed their rolls recently). Their secret sauce is amazing (rumor is that the secret is duck fat). Around $2 for a sandwich made to order. [36 Beach Street, Chinatown]

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

"1) Spectacularly luxurious. Food is not the object here. Flawless and virtually obsequious service is. The food should be good, but the service needs be perfect. Price is no object. "

For exceptional service, either Au Jourd'Hui or L'espalier will do nicely. If this is a business meeting, I would go with Au Jourd'Hui, which has the advantage of also being inside the Four Seasons. L'Espalier is wonderful, but feels more like a romantic datelike environment.

For Hip, I also recommend Juries, great location, phenomenal lobster bisque, and has a Euro feel to it.

"3) Excellent food, mid-high price in an atmosphere that's more restaurant than club. A place where you don't have to yell to be heard. Any and all types of cusine welcome (this is the recco for me)."

No. 9 Park, Clio, Mistral, and Radius. These are my favorite places in Boston, and there's always the North End, particularly Rabia's on Salem Street, where they have the most amazing homemade seafood ravioli's served with roasted shellfish, like a bouillabaise kind of thing.

"Finally, if there are any good low-rent joints not too far from the 4 Seasons -- from ethnic to greays spoon, feel free to chime in."

Cottonwood Cafe, for fun Mexican and Parrish Cafe for good, creative sandwiches, many unusual combinations inspired by local chefs....both are near the Four Seasons/Boylston area.

Edited by pam claughton (log)

For Hip, I also recommend Cottonwood Cafe, for fun Mexican and Parrish Cafe for good, creative sandwiches, many unusual combinations inspired by local chefs....both are near the Four Seasons/Boylston area

I'd go along with the Parrish, I like the sandwiches so long as I don't have to wait too long for a seat. But the allure of the Cottonwood escapes me. Overpriced Tex-Mex, which in Boston is pathetic by any standard.

Two entirely different "low rent" favorites not far from the 4 Seasons:

- up Tremont Street a few blocks, right on Bromfield to the Silvertone Bar and Grill. A basement bar. Don't go if you want a fancy wine list etc. But for "comfort food" and a reasonably-priced Malbec, go.

- Behind the 4 Seasons, in Chinatown, try Penang, a Malaysian restaurant. I love the soups as well as the "taro pots." Cheap prices, yummy food, relaxed atmosphere.

You've gotten a lot of good advice.

To add..or confuse you further :laugh:

#3...Troquet..just down the street..very good food, better wine list.

divey..for breakfast, you're about a 10 min walk from Charlie's Sandwich Shop in the South End..great turkey hash..sort of an urban diner that's been there forever

You're not far from Chinatown///my favorites are Hu Tieu Nam Vang /Vietnamese, Taiwan Cafe, Peach Farm Seafood, Hong Kong Eatery..roast meats and terrific in house made dumplings

Edited by 9lives (log)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm in Boston tonight and Jesus it costs a lot to eat good in this town.

OK, I started googling some of the suggestions above and saw a lot of $20 aps and $35+ entrees amongst the "upper-middle" places. Not too bad when the client picks up the tab, but for me an my son, on my dime, it's a bit scary.

I think I dropped $35 on two glasses of wine and two modestly-sized bits of cheese at Pigalle -- which is around the corner from my hotel -- last night. But the bartender was quite friendly and comped a bizarre but embarrasingly delicious apple "martini" -- made without gin or vodka due to bizarre Boston liquor license requirements. Grande Marnier allowed, but no gin. The bartender's moving to Rialto Monday, check him out...he likes his work and does it well.

Ran by Ida's last night. Cute place, friendly, but of all the joints in the North End (good to see that in the 20 years since I lived there, the Italians are still holding their own agianst the yuppie onslaught), I'm not sure I'd pick that one again. My son was quite pleased with his pasta and spicy meatballs, though, and I enjoyed the veal and eggplant.

9Lives -- noticed Troquet walking alond the Common today, and made a mental note. Glad to hear that it's worth checking out in greater detail.

Tonight, off to Pho Republique with my son.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Troquet is priced similarly to Pigalle..although there is a bar menu.

Another good option in the neighborhood is Teatro..on Tremont/Boylston next to the movie theater. Modern take on Italian. Their prices have crept up...but still less than Troquet or Pigalle.

In the North End, for traditional, mid priced, I like Artu, Trattororia Il Panino (original only..not the Express) and Massimino's Cucina.

Higher end..Prezza or Sage.

Neptune Oyster Bar

Pizzeria Regina..original North End location only..Galleria Umberto...bread pizza..lunch only

Edited by 9lives (log)

So, after Saturday night in the Sought End, I'm guessing that "hip" is not the same as "busy." While the restaurants were pretty packed, the sidewalks appeared to have been rolled up before we arrived -- almost no foot traffic at all by 11PM on a Saturday night.

Or did I just miss the show?

Loved my meal at Pho Republique. I had a skirt steak with asian spices served with a bit of Thai Chili Dipping sauce that tasted like mu shi sauce to me. Well cooked and tasty. Son had an excellent pho and we split the ribs, which lacked that crackly exoskeleton good Chinese ribs get after a couple of hours of basting in the front window of an old-school joint, but good spicing and perfectly cooked. Great waitress: dreads, heavily tatooed ("new ink?" asked the regulars at the next table. "Yeah," she replied, pulling the tank top's strap aside in a particularly delightful way), competent and friendly.

I'm looking forward to a return trip.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.